cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rednred
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,456
Message 11 of 18

Re: Hard drive upgrade for Yoga 2 13 (model 20344)

Have to look into testing speed but will respond to other comments/questions ere.

i suppose you are right about speed - testing needs to be done to assess that.  Even if speed is not a reason though, I think reduced power consumption, weight and possibly noise make this an improvement.  Plus,  from what I remember in my shopping, 500G ssd cost less than that particular hdd.  

This is a home/ personal device and I was impatient to see if everything fit when I saw the refurbished  1TB drive on Amazon for 225.  Similar 500GB ssd were 50-70 less which helped entice me to make the purchase.  

Highlighted
kimsonvu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,436
Message 12 of 18

Hi,

I wish i could purchase SSD as price as your SSD. I already search many time on Ebay and Amazon but i could not find any SSD with 1TB at that price Man Sad

If you have time to test with your SSD, please share for me. I will purchase the kits like you because i know SSD run always better than Hybird HDD.

artbytes
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,418
Message 13 of 18

I have the Lenovo Model Name: 20344, Date: 2015-01-30, that I got from Best Buy almost a year ago. It had a 128GB SSD installed, but I was almost out of room. I had a hard time getting any kind of definitive answer on what hard drive to get, but I finally got this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPVV8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

It's a Transcend  512GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS800 60 mm M.2 Solid State Drive. A computer pro put it in for me. He said it was pretty easy and very quick to do. He replaced the 128GB drive and transferred all that was on that drive over to the new one. It's working really well. 

He also told me that I could have used the Samsung Evo drive, which I really liked. However, I already had this one. 

Thought you might like to know.

xpdualcore
What's DOS?
Views: 2,914
Message 14 of 18

I got a refurb Yoga 2 13 (not pro) with the hybrid HDSSD. I just used a spare SanDisk SSD that was around and replaced the hybrid drive. Fairly straightforward and no major dramas. You might need the fancy adapter cable to connect your SATA (if you don't have a hybrid drive fitted) but they are available on eBay for about £7.00 (see earlier posts for details) I also didn't need to use the HD cradle as it was already a nice neat fit... I can't see it going anywhere! Should help the battery life and is definitely quicker booting than the hybrid.

SteveNeuman
What's DOS?
Views: 274
Message 15 of 18

Hey there,
I know this is a really old post, but I picked up a Yoga 2 13 for very inexpensively, and with the cost of SSD drives at present, it's a difficult upgrade to pass up. I too have the non-Pro version with the Hybrid Drive (16 GB SSD+500GB HDD). 

I haven't seen any posts describing this exact configuration and how it was done. I'm trying to connect the dots, but I'm unclear of the relationship between the two drives in my configuration to do so. What are the individual drives responsible for? Do I simply purchase a higher capacity m.2 SSD drive for the slot that the current 16GB drive is in, clone it, change the boot in the BIOS, etc? Can I then use the 500GB for additional storage as needed? Or am I better off to leave the 16GB drive alone, and adapt some sort of SSD to the slot currently being used by the 500GB HDD?

If anyone out there is still reading this, I'd sure appreciate an assist. Thank you in advance Smiley Happy

-Steve

rtan
Paper Tape
Views: 268
Message 16 of 18

I purchased a 128G M2 drive a few years ago and use it for OS.  After everything is working, I formated the 500G drive and use it to store extra data.  Now M2 drives are much more affordable, I would buy a 500G or even 1TB.  I wished the RAM can be upgraded.  4GB is not enough.

SteveNeuman
What's DOS?
Views: 262
Message 17 of 18

Well crap, I didn't realize it was limited for 4GB of RAM. I was going to by 2x4 sticks.

*throws PC in garbage and immediately abandons all plans*

Thanks for the response!

treysis
Punch Card
Views: 97
Message 18 of 18

Mine came with 8 GB of RAM...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors