Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smad1705
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,031
Message 1 of 5

Haswell Yoga 11s - New SSD

Hello everyone.

Bought a Haswell Yoga 11s a few month back. I'm really happy with it, except the SSD which I always found a bit small.

I decided to replace it with a 240Go Crucial M500. That did not went well; I ran into the same problem as this guy. Well, stupid of me not to check if there was a problem before buying.

So I bought another one; an Intel 530 240Go as well, thinking "Well, it seemed to work well for this guy". Well, same problem.

So, here's what I did:

1. Switch the old ssd for the new one
  2. SSD is detected by BIOS (in first page)
  3. SSD is not detected by operating system. I tried diskpart in Windows and gparted on Ubuntu, the disk does not appear.
  4. Tried switching from AHCI to IDE ("legacy"), disabling secure boot, trying a non-uefi OS, and basically disabling every kind of option in the bios, all withtout success.
  5. I cannot upgrade the firmware of the SSDs since there not detected by the update software
  6. I am 100% sure they both work fine (tried them in USB case)

Some people seemed to have some success with Samsung drives, since it's the brand used in the original system. But frankly, I've already spent 250€ on SSDs and I'd like to find a solution for this.

Lenovo: couldn't you update the BIOS of this device? I'm not the only one with problems, and I don't understand why no one seems to bother.

For now, I'm back on the old 120Go SSD, but I'd like to be able to put my SSD of choice in the device I bought.

If anyone else can help, I'll welcome any help as well :-)

hawkeye62
Punch Card
Views: 1,018
Message 2 of 5

Re: Haswell Yoga 11s - New SSD

@smad1705 wrote:

Hello everyone.

Bought a Haswell Yoga 11s a few month back. I'm really happy with it, except the SSD which I always found a bit small.

I decided to replace it with a 240Go Crucial M500. That did not went well; I ran into the same problem as this guy. Well, stupid of me not to check if there was a problem before buying.

So I bought another one; an Intel 530 240Go as well, thinking "Well, it seemed to work well for this guy". Well, same problem.

So, here's what I did:

1. Switch the old ssd for the new one
  2. SSD is detected by BIOS (in first page)
  3. SSD is not detected by operating system. I tried diskpart in Windows and gparted on Ubuntu, the disk does not appear.
  4. Tried switching from AHCI to IDE ("legacy"), disabling secure boot, trying a non-uefi OS, and basically disabling every kind of option in the bios, all withtout success.
  5. I cannot upgrade the firmware of the SSDs since there not detected by the update software
  6. I am 100% sure they both work fine (tried them in USB case)

Some people seemed to have some success with Samsung drives, since it's the brand used in the original system. But frankly, I've already spent 250€ on SSDs and I'd like to find a solution for this.

Lenovo: couldn't you update the BIOS of this device? I'm not the only one with problems, and I don't understand why no one seems to bother.

For now, I'm back on the old 120Go SSD, but I'd like to be able to put my SSD of choice in the device I bought.

If anyone else can help, I'll welcome any help as well :-)

The usual reason a drive is not recognized by an OS is that the drive has not been assigned a drive letter. I am not sure what your intent is. Are you going to do a fresh install of an OS, or do you intend to clone the existing ssd to the new ssd?

I used a Crucial 256 GB, it is an older one I had lying around. I think it was the model prior to the M550. Anyway, I put the new ssd in an externa USB case and attached it to the 11s. Then I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old ssd to the new ssd. Then I swapped ssd drives and booted to the new ssd with no problems. Macrium has an option to increase the partition you specify to use all of the un-allocated space. Or you could use a disk partition program such as Paragon Partition Manager 14 to expand the C partition.

You can assign a drive letter in Control Panel > Administration > Computer Management > Disk Management.

Good luck, Jim 

smad1705
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,001
Message 3 of 5

Hi & thx for the reply :-)

Unfortunately, that's not really the problem.

I'm trying to make a clean install, but unfortunately the SSD is not available in the OS install process (be it Windows or Linux). The SSD is partitionned correctly and available when put in an external USB case, but not when put inside the Yoga...

Did you put your Crucial SSD in your system? Is it a yoga 11s haswell as well (...)?

hawkeye62
Punch Card
Views: 988
Message 4 of 5

@smad1705 wrote:

Hi & thx for the reply :-)

Unfortunately, that's not really the problem.

I'm trying to make a clean install, but unfortunately the SSD is not available in the OS install process (be it Windows or Linux). The SSD is partitionned correctly and available when put in an external USB case, but not when put inside the Yoga...

Did you put your Crucial SSD in your system? Is it a yoga 11s haswell as well (...)?

Yes, I have a Yoga 11s Haswell. I upgraded to 8 GB ram and 256 GB Crucial ssd. The Crucial model number is: CT256M4SSD3 and the memory is also Crucial, CT4559001.

Strange that your ssd is not recognized.

Good luck, Jim 

CCWTECH
Token Ring
Views: 293
Message 5 of 5

Old post but did you ever solve it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors