Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Massimetto70
Punch Card
Views: 195
Message 1 of 14

Help files .pdf in the browsers appear greyed out with Hdr

Hi, I'm having this issue with my new Yoga s740 (4K display). In few words all files .pdf that I open with Chrome (or with Edge Chromium) appear Greyd out even though still visible (it was not like that untill early this morning when opening .pdf with the previous version of Edge, since early today, after I updated to the new Edge Chromium, it's happining againn just like in Chrome). I've red somewhere on the web it may be because of a not full compatibility between some browsers and the Intel Hdr system...Anybody have any clue about this issue? Thank you for helping

liopag2
SCSI Port
Views: 173
Message 2 of 14

Re: Help files .pdf in the browsers appear greyed out with Hdr

Can you provide an image of what is happening exactly?
Massimetto70
Punch Card
Views: 164
Message 3 of 14

Thank you liopag for replying. Any .pdf docs that I download or open through Chrome (or Edge) show gayed out. I tried to cut a crop of a docs to send to you but as i cut it highlights and turn white ! (as it should be.....) I'm going to try and send to you anyway...hold

(The white of the page is grey (dark) not a white page as any regular Word, pdf or any doc

liopag2
SCSI Port
Views: 158
Message 4 of 14

Can you show a picture if you can with this pdf for example? https://monoskop.org/images/4/46/Itten_Johannes_The_Elements_of_Color.pdf
To see if it also distorts colors as you see pages
Massimetto70
Punch Card
Views: 138
Message 5 of 14

Hello Liopag,

Ok, I,ve taken a couple of pictures with my smartphone for you for whenever I try to take a screenshot on my laptop of the docs you sent me the highlighted page turns normal white, so you can not really notice the problem. I'm sending you a picture (apparently on this Forum I can only send 1 file at the time) showing the very moment I'm trying to take a crop at the page so maybe you can see the difference between the highlighted section (brighter) and the rest of the page (greyed out). I probably should try to disable the HDR in Windows settings and see if I still have this problem....Let see, I'll let you know... Anyway here you are with the shots I took (Hope you can at least recognize my issue)

liopag2
SCSI Port
Views: 127
Message 6 of 14

When you say gray, do you mean the background of the PDF viewer itself? Or do you mean that the white on the page itself of the PDF is more grayer than normal? Idk I'm having a hard time identifying the problem here lol
Massimetto70
Punch Card
Views: 125
Message 7 of 14

Both the background And the page itself become Grey (just like there would be a light grey veil over   the page) 

liopag2
SCSI Port
Views: 122
Message 8 of 14

Changing Edge's background in PDFs isn't something I know how to do, but I do know that indirectly if you set in edge://flags in the URL bar and search in those settings to toggle dark mode for web pages, it also turns the PDF viewer's pages to a grayish black color if you're interested in that. Apart from that, don't know how to change it to other colors

This is a photo I took with that same pdf showing a page from the doc in which you can compare it's white tone to the white tone on the URL bar above. Do you see these 2 tones of white to one being gray and one being white? On my image? Or do you see them as both being absolute white? And you doing the exact same thing I did in the pic, do you notice a difference in tones? 

(Asking so many questions to see if we're on the same page here)

Another thing I would suggest in case you're willing to try, use this extension to change the PDF reader to FireFox's (one I use currently) to see if that one works better for you. 

Massimetto70
Punch Card
Views: 117
Message 9 of 14

Thank you again Liopag.

I think I can confirm the "problem" in ANY browser is due to the HDR system from Windows (Intel?) In fact if I disable it in the general Window ssettings, the .pdf docs viewed in the browser look fine (they are not grey anymore, both in Chrome and in Edge) i red few days ago somewhere on the web about this issue but I was not able to investigate any further... If you have this notebook (Yoga s740 4K) try yourself, first enable HDR and open any .pdf file and then do the opposite by disabling it.

Apparently in Chrome (from what I can remember from that article I red on the web) there use to be a flag coomand for HDR but I could not find it.....

Let me know if you find any solution...

Thank you and enjoy the week end

mjjones90
Serial Port
Views: 110
Message 10 of 14

Try going to Settings>System>Display>Windows HD Color Settings, scroll down to SDR content appearance, and move the slider towards the left.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors