cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btitus
Serial Port
Views: 36,493
Message 1 of 177

Hey Lenovo, what's up with DPTF & Yoga machines?

I see a number of posts here running into the same issue -- poor performance when the various Yoga models are put into non-laptop configurations (tablet, stand, tent). It's pretty clear that the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is the culprit. DPTF throttles the machine back too aggressively, to the point where it becomes unusable with video, games, external monitors, etc. Disabling it in the BIOS fixes the problem, but some questions remain.

I  did not observe this happening under Win8.0; I only saw it after my update to 8.1. However, there is an updated DPTF in the support section specifically for 8.1. So, what gives Lenovo?

-- What are you trying to do with DPTF in these non-laptop modes?

-- Is it a problem for us to disable DPTF in the BIOS while you sort it out?

-- When can we expect a new DPTF that resolves the issues?

rsanz
Punch Card
Views: 36,337
Message 2 of 177

Re: Hey Lenovo, what's up with DPTF & Yoga machines?

I'd like to know this as well.  I'm been holding off disabling the DPTF until people who have done it report an all-clear in terms of hiccups or other issues that it may cause.

I'd much prefer an official response from Lenovo (long shot, I'm sure).

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 36,322
Message 3 of 177

I don't have any issues by disabling it, and on the contrary, I get great performance. Haven't benchmarked how it affects battery life though.

DieSchote
Fanfold Paper
Views: 36,281
Message 4 of 177

I would be very happy about an answer here, too.

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 36,252
Message 5 of 177

There is a software called "Throttlestop" that will prevent your computer from throttling.  You can download and read about it here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17

And yeah this really works.  You can set up your rig to run full out all the time.  Of course use at your own risk.  I used this on my Surface Pro with no negative effects.

Guru
Views: 36,223
Message 6 of 177

Define poor performance? I have DPTF enabled on both Yoga 2 Pro and Yoga 13. I think it's a great thing to have. It improves battery life a lot.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

mitchellvii
HDMI
Views: 36,209
Message 7 of 177

@Jonus, perhaps this feature is causing your rotation issues? Try disabling it and see what happens?

btitus
Serial Port
Views: 36,194
Message 8 of 177

If you are playing a video or game, for example in laptop mode, and then flip the screen to tablet mode, the video becomes choppy, or the game becomes unresponsive. I noticed this right after the 8.1 upgrade, because I use a USB3.0 dock, a big monitor, and my Yoga 11s in stand mode for my "desktop" configuration. I found that after upgrading, suddenly every thing was very laggy on my big monitor -- window drags & resizes were very unresponsive, for example. At first I thought there was some conflict with 8.1 and my dock drivers, but that was not the case. I finally tracked it down to DPTF, and once I disabled in the BIOS, everything went back to normal.

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 36,157
Message 9 of 177

By poor performance just run any benchmark test. You'll get around half the performance in these modes than in Laptop mode. Makes most games unusable, video playback choppy, and task as video encoding/editing very slow.
DieSchote
Fanfold Paper
Views: 36,156
Message 10 of 177

On Windows 8 I have been playing "Pinball FX 2" a lot with the Yoga 13 in stand mode because then I don't have to hold the device but can perfectly use the touch screen controls.

After the update to Windows 8.1 this is absolutely not possible anymore. The game is incredibly slow.

Disabling the DPTF in BIOS fixes this completely.

It's clear (also from other threads in this forum) that currently the DPTF does not run correctly on Yoga 13 on Windows 8.1 . The device is only a year old so I *expect* a fix from Lenovo for a device that defines itself by being a Convertible!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors