Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 3,117
Message 1 of 14

How do I connect an external monitor to my new Yoga 700

Hello,

OK I've just bought a Lenovo Yoga 700 laptop.  Looks great and the reviews are good.

My previous (clapped out) Samsung netpad was connected to an external Dell monitor using a cable with what I think is called a VGA connection at both ends.

What's the simplest / cheapest way of connecting the monitor to the Yoga?   I seem to need a micro HDMI connection for the Yoga.  Is there any alternative to a new cable - they look pricey when I did a search.

brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 3,082
Message 2 of 14

Re: How do I connect an external monitor to my new Yoga 700

OK I've found a short cable adapter on eBay which has a female VGA at one end and a micro HDMI at the other.  If it works, problem solved.

brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,984
Message 3 of 14

The cable adapter works fine.

Now I have a supplementary question, please.

When the external monitor is connected, the laptop speakers are switched off.

We don't want to buy separate external speakers, so is there a way to switch the built-in speakers back on?

Thanks

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 2,979
Message 4 of 14

Sure there's a way. Right click on the spearker symbol in the bottom right of the windows task bar and select 'Playback devices'. Now select 'speakers' for you laptop speakers, and select 'Set Default'. Select OK to close the window.

brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,976
Message 5 of 14

Thank you - I thought I had tried every option - but obviously not.
Cheers
Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 2,969
Message 6 of 14

Glad to help.

Here's a bonus piece of information in case it's of interest to you; hdmi cables can transmit video and audio, but VGA cables can only transmit video. If your monitor has built in speakers, then your laptop could utilse them if you used an HDMI to micro HDMI cable, or a standard HDMI cable with a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter. The latter can be picked up on Amazon for a around a pound/dollar. 

brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,963
Message 7 of 14

That's interesting - no built in speakers at the moment - but if we change the monitor we could look for that option. We've only just started using a monitor following sight problems for my wife and a better quality / larger one might be worth having.
Thanks
Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 2,952
Message 8 of 14

Since I'm on a roll, here's another tip that you might find useful if you are using Windows 10. In Settings->System->Display there's a slider under the text "Change the size of text, apps and other items" Dragging this slider to 125% or 150% will make text larger.

brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,939
Message 9 of 14

Yes, you are on a roll - great job. Thank you again - brilliant - making text larger is a great help for my wife.
I'm gradually removing all the things we don't need from the start box and have downloaded essential software, so we're getting there gradually. I appreciate your help and tips.
I have to say that I'm very impressed with this laptop (Yoga 700) - we had an old Samsung NP120 which was very good in it's day, but is now out of date (and won't cope with Windows 10) so this purchase is a great improvement. But so much new stuff to get used to.
brissle
Paper Tape
Views: 2,934
Message 10 of 14

Please may I ask another question? There are 2 USB ports on this laptop. One is apparently USB2 and the other USB3. I'm not sure what is the difference between them except that I guess USB3 is faster.
This question relates to when the laptop is being used by my wife at the desk as her "main" computer.
I have the printer permanently plugged in to the port on the right (no we don't have a bluetooth printer), so I am left with just the one USB port on the left - a tight fit between the power cable (when it's plugged in) and the micro HDMI which feeds the monitor. To reduce the risk of damaging that USB port by too much use, I'm thinking of getting an extension cable which will remain plugged in until we take the laptop somewhere else (e.g. on holiday). If I get a cable I see on Amazon described as a data hub, does that enable me to plug in more than one device at a time into that one port? Can more than one device be "seen" through the one port?
Sorry if that's a stoopid question, but some of this stuff is new to me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors