cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
systemsettings
Paper Tape
Views: 3,758
Message 1 of 10

How do I install Windows 7 on a Yoga 900?

I've been trying and trying, but I can't seem to install Windows 7 on my Lenovo Yoga 900. I believe that it might have to do with the USB 3.0 drivers not being installed, but I already tried to inject the drivers onto an .iso and it wouldn't work. Anything I do, it gets stuck on the "Starting Windows.." screen whenever I try to boot from a flash drive. Is there no way to install Windows 7 on a Yoga 900? I've disabled secure boot too, and I know some Skylake laptops are able to run Windows 7.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,748
Message 2 of 10

Re: How do I install Windows 7 on a Yoga 900?

Hello and welcome,

For Win 7 in UEFI mode you need to enable CSM support.

That's not an option in Yoga 900 BIOS.  Your choices are UEFI and Legacy support.  I don't know if Legacy in this case means UEFI + CSM or literally legacy - as in not UEFI.

I'm doing some other testing just now and can't fiddle BIOS to check.  If you want to try it go to the Boot tab in BIOS and set boot mode to Legacy support.

BTW, if you have a -13ISK2 or other 900 with an NVMe drive, you'll need the NVMe driver and will have to set the SATA mode to AHCI.  (which may require a BIOS update)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,733
Message 3 of 10

There are other problems getting a new installation of windows 7 after you get the drivers injected.  There is a problem running windows update - it tends to run forever and never finish.  ASs soon as you get it installed (assuming you do) you need to update the servicing stack and apply a recent rollup.  Read this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-update-checks-fo...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,729
Message 4 of 10

Or this Smiley Wink

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T400-Windows-7-SP1-clean-install-Windows...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

systemsettings
Paper Tape
Views: 3,724
Message 5 of 10

Currently I have an -13ISK, and I did try booting with legacy support once but it still did not successfully boot, but I only tried once, and I will try again right now to see if it will work again.
harnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,451
Message 6 of 10

Hi guys,

I installed Win7 on Y900. Everything works well except touchpad, touchscreen and Lenove Paper, which is totally unusable. In my case the touchpad and touchscreen it's not a big problem, because I'm using it mainly on the desk with en external keyboard and I always have the BT mouse. I can be wrong, but probably the HID devices in Y900 will never work under Win7, due to the Microsoft politics (pushing Win10 everywhere). Older windowses are not supporting I2C HID subsystem, and probably never will. If someone is interested how to do it, let me know (lukgolek@gmail.com), I can write a short description and I can attache also the drivers wchich I found.

harnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,388
Message 7 of 10

I got some questions about installing Windows 7 on Y900.

Remember that the touchpad and touch screen will not work!
You will have to use the external mouse.
How to do it?
First of all bacup all of your data from the computer, because you will need to remove all partitions and repartition the disk in MBR mode instead of GPT.

Than you have to have your own Windows 7 iso image.
The best idea is to make the complete image of your SSD and in every moment you can return to the oryginal system.
You will need two USB sticks to install the new system and one large external USB or network drive to save your back-ups.

To prepare your Yoga for new system you can use this linux distribution:
http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/fv5MLO5ZTFlWBHy

Now you should create the second USB stick with your Windows 7.

Do it in this moment, because later you will have no system on your laptop, unless you have the second computer.

To write the images of your Windows and Linux on the USB sticks you should use Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.14.exe

Just point to the iso image (the CD drive icon), click start and wait.

Choose the default options for both images.

Now turn your Yoga to the bios mode and you will have to disable "Fastboot" and enable "Legacy Support"

When you have both USB sticks ready, try to boot your computer from each one, to be sure that both are prepared correctly. Windows will not able to install yet, but just try that the computer is booting.

When you're done, boot the computer from the Linux USB and from the menu choose the Clonezilla to make backup of your SSD.

Use "Ctrl+Shift+++++" in Clonezilla window to make fonts bigger.

!!!!!!!!!    If you don't do this you will lose the possibility of recovering the original Windows 10. !!!!!!!!!

You should also connect to the Internet from this Linux, because you will have to download and unpack the drivers.

Now use Gparted tool (Partition Editor, on the desktop) to re-partition the SSD.

Be sure, that you see correct disk in the top button, on the right site

Probably it will be /dev/sda, look on the capacity.

In GParted, from menu "Device" take "Create Partition Table" and be sure that the new one is the MBR type (msdos). In my case the GPT mode was not working.

When you have the new partition table, create the partitions you want.

It's up to you, how you will divide your SSD, but for sure you will need one partition to store the USB drivers.
So, in my case I've made one NTFS partition (50% of the SSD drive) on the end of the disk (the second half) and formated as NTFS.

The first half of the SSD its better to leave empty, without any partitions. Windows will create it later.

Than download and unpack this drivers on the new partition:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Ct9TxM4VDQPiJNM

Be sure that the drivers are unpacked on the new partition, on your SSD drive.

Now you can also download the Double Driver program, for storing or restoring of drivers:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Nv6soVw4iLBCvnd

And here you have a complete copy of my drivers, which i already found:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Xpwg43FkbGRuGdL

Put it on your SSD, you don't have to unpack it now, you can do it later in Windows.

When you're done take your second USB stick with Windows 7, and boot the computer from it.

Connect your USB mouse.

Your touchpad or mouse not working yet, you have to use keyboard to navigate (TAB and Enter)

Start your windows installation and follow, until you will see the message that there is no CD or USB drives in your system.

Now you have to click "Browse" and find the USB-drivers on your SSD, choose the driver and clisk OK.
Probably Windows will not recognize your drivers after first time, so click "Rescan", it should appere another USB driver. Click "Rescan" until the installation starts.

Your USB mouse should work now.

Now you are at home Smiley Wink
In the Windows installer choose the empty half of the SSD and click OK.
Windows will create needed partitions automatically.
Just wait until it finish.
Boot your new Windows 7, install the Double Driver program, unpack the archive of my drivers, and restore it to your system.
Most drivers should be installed.

Install Windows Updates, it will aslo download some additional drivers.

Sorry for my english, I hope this text is understandable Smiley Wink

If you have any questions, just write me.

I hope that I helped ;-)

systemsettings
Paper Tape
Views: 3,381
Message 8 of 10

Just logged in again and just realized that you posted those two posts, so sorry I haven't seen it, but thanks! I will try this now and post if anything goes wrong.

Katto
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,441
Message 9 of 10

@harnas: thank you for providing the steps to install Windows 7! Can you please reactivate the links posted (including the drivers)? They do not seem to work anymore. Thanks again!

@harnas wrote:

I got some questions about installing Windows 7 on Y900.

Remember that the touchpad and touch screen will not work!
You will have to use the external mouse.
How to do it?
First of all bacup all of your data from the computer, because you will need to remove all partitions and repartition the disk in MBR mode instead of GPT.

Than you have to have your own Windows 7 iso image.
The best idea is to make the complete image of your SSD and in every moment you can return to the oryginal system.
You will need two USB sticks to install the new system and one large external USB or network drive to save your back-ups.

To prepare your Yoga for new system you can use this linux distribution:
http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/fv5MLO5ZTFlWBHy

Now you should create the second USB stick with your Windows 7.

Do it in this moment, because later you will have no system on your laptop, unless you have the second computer.

To write the images of your Windows and Linux on the USB sticks you should use Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.14.exe

Just point to the iso image (the CD drive icon), click start and wait.

Choose the default options for both images.

Now turn your Yoga to the bios mode and you will have to disable "Fastboot" and enable "Legacy Support"

When you have both USB sticks ready, try to boot your computer from each one, to be sure that both are prepared correctly. Windows will not able to install yet, but just try that the computer is booting.

When you're done, boot the computer from the Linux USB and from the menu choose the Clonezilla to make backup of your SSD.

Use "Ctrl+Shift+++++" in Clonezilla window to make fonts bigger.

!!!!!!!!!    If you don't do this you will lose the possibility of recovering the original Windows 10. !!!!!!!!!

You should also connect to the Internet from this Linux, because you will have to download and unpack the drivers.

Now use Gparted tool (Partition Editor, on the desktop) to re-partition the SSD.

Be sure, that you see correct disk in the top button, on the right site

Probably it will be /dev/sda, look on the capacity.

In GParted, from menu "Device" take "Create Partition Table" and be sure that the new one is the MBR type (msdos). In my case the GPT mode was not working.

When you have the new partition table, create the partitions you want.

It's up to you, how you will divide your SSD, but for sure you will need one partition to store the USB drivers.
So, in my case I've made one NTFS partition (50% of the SSD drive) on the end of the disk (the second half) and formated as NTFS.

The first half of the SSD its better to leave empty, without any partitions. Windows will create it later.

Than download and unpack this drivers on the new partition:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Ct9TxM4VDQPiJNM

Be sure that the drivers are unpacked on the new partition, on your SSD drive.

Now you can also download the Double Driver program, for storing or restoring of drivers:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Nv6soVw4iLBCvnd

And here you have a complete copy of my drivers, which i already found:

http://149.156.116.205/tajemnaskrytka/index.php/s/Xpwg43FkbGRuGdL

Put it on your SSD, you don't have to unpack it now, you can do it later in Windows.

When you're done take your second USB stick with Windows 7, and boot the computer from it.

Connect your USB mouse.

Your touchpad or mouse not working yet, you have to use keyboard to navigate (TAB and Enter)

Start your windows installation and follow, until you will see the message that there is no CD or USB drives in your system.

Now you have to click "Browse" and find the USB-drivers on your SSD, choose the driver and clisk OK.
Probably Windows will not recognize your drivers after first time, so click "Rescan", it should appere another USB driver. Click "Rescan" until the installation starts.

Your USB mouse should work now.

Now you are at home Smiley Wink
In the Windows installer choose the empty half of the SSD and click OK.
Windows will create needed partitions automatically.
Just wait until it finish.
Boot your new Windows 7, install the Double Driver program, unpack the archive of my drivers, and restore it to your system.
Most drivers should be installed.

Install Windows Updates, it will aslo download some additional drivers.

Sorry for my english, I hope this text is understandable Smiley Wink

If you have any questions, just write me.

I hope that I helped ;-)

@harnas

Yoga 920 | Intel i7-8550U | Intel UHD Graphics 620 | 8GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD | 13.9'' UHD IPS Touchscreen 2160p | Win 10 Home 64-bit | P.S. No trees were destroyed by posting this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
harnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,360
Message 10 of 10

Hi Katto,

Sorry for the late answer, my server was down for a few days.

Now it's online again.

Regards Smiley Wink

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors