12-04-2012

Dallas, TX

15 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 5

How to Remove Lock Screen on Yoga 13

2012-12-05, 0:41 AM

At least for me, it's just annoying to have to swipe away the lockscreen that comes up prior to the password screen whenever you boot/wake your Yoga 13.  (The screen with the Seattle space needle on it.)

Google searching for this yields three solutions, two of which wouldn't work for me.  But the third did!  I'll list all three in case someone can tell me why the first two didn't work, and/or in case somebody benefits from knowing the one that did.

(1) The first solution is to run a program called gpedit.  Unfortunately, my BestBuy Yoga  13 running nonPro Windows 8 does not have this program.  Perhaps you need Windows 8 PRO?  Not sure...

(2) The second solution is to try to make gpedit available by using another program, called mmc, to add a snap-in called Group Policy Object Editor.  Unfortunately, mmc didn't list this as a snap-in it could add for me.  Again maybe this is something you need Windows 8 PRO for?

(3) The method that did work for me was to manually add a registry entry.  To do this, run regedit, navigate down through Local Machine > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.  Then right -click Windows to add a new key called Personalization.  Then right-click this new key to create a new DWord (32 bit), which you'll rename to NoLockScreen and set its value to 1.  Voila!

A more detailed walkthrough is here:

http://www.techfeb.com/how-to-disable-windows-8-lock-screen-via-registry-hack/

Options

13 Posts

12-04-2012

UK

199 Signins

1196 Page Views

• Views: 1196
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: How to Remove Lock Screen on Yoga 13

2012-12-05, 2:14 AM

You actually don't need to swipe away the screen, pressing any key will do it. But I agree it would be useful to have a simple settings option to remove it.

(Also, it's gpedit.msc, you have to type the whole thing out to run it from Win + R)

Options

7 Posts

12-04-2012

Dallas, TX

15 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 3 of 5

2012-12-05, 3:45 AM

Yeah, I did type the full name gpedit.msc, and it didn't work.  Still not sure why...  My best hypothesis is that this is available only on Windows 8 PRO.  A slight bit of evidence that corroborates this is the only web-search I turned up of somebody successfully using gpedit to remove the lockscreen from a Yoga 13 was from someone who updated to PRO first.  Unfortunately it's hard to google for *non*PRO, so I haven't found a way to really test this hypothesis.

Has anyone successfully run gpedit.msc on a non-PRO version of windows 8?  Especially a Yoga 13?

Options

5603 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28497 Signins

1628167 Page Views

• Views: 1628167
  • Message 4 of 5

2012-12-05, 3:49 AM
@Telos... I haven't tried it on my Y13, but I'd guess you're right about needing Win8Pro. IIRC from one of the machines I used to support, that was running Win7Home, the group policy editor was not included. Only the Win7Pro/Ult machines had it. So... it would seem logical that the paradigm would continue. Cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

13 Posts

12-04-2012

UK

199 Signins

1196 Page Views

• Views: 1196
  • Message 5 of 5

2012-12-05, 3:58 AM

Ah, yes, you're right, it needs Pro:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-gpedit-msc.htm

I have RT, and it comes included.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete