cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,877
Message 1 of 16

How to connect 1080p Lenovo Yoga 920 to 4K monitor?

I'm getting a Lenovo 4K laptop soon but in the interim I'm trying to hook up my Lenovo Yoga 920 (which is a 1080p laptop) to a 4K monitor. Do I basically just use the exact same method I used to connect my laptop to a 2K monitor.... so I simply need to use the exact same (USB-C to HDMI) adapter in order to connect it to the 4K monitor and then my moitor will display the 4K res?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,857
Message 2 of 16

Re: How to connect 1080p Lenovo Yoga 920 to 4K monitor?

You can use the exact same method, but the 4k monitor will only display upconverted 1080 since that's all the laptop's graphics card is capable of. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,825
Message 3 of 16

@Doctordonwrote:

You can use the exact same method, but the 4k monitor will only display upconverted 1080 since that's all the laptop's graphics card is capable of. 

Oh wait I'm confused... I have the lenovo yoga 920 and when I hooked it up to a 2k monitor the monitor displayed its native 2k resolution (not 1080p) so why can't the same thing happen when I hook this laptop up to a 4k monitor? The laptop is a 1080p native res but it was capable of displaying 2k on a 2k native res monitor (so long as I switched the res on the laptop from 1080p to 2k of course)... but I just bought a 4k monitor which I will receive soon so I was hoping I would get 4k display on the monitor since lenovo said the laptop is capable of it or am I wrong? Thanks!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,821
Message 4 of 16

It'll depend on the graphics card. I was operating on the assumption Lenovo wouldn't put in a graphics card with capabilities beyond the device's display, but further research (ie digging through my own 920) shows I could be wrong.

Check under displays in Device Manager. If you have the Intel UHD card, then I believe you should be able to get 4k out of the 920. Haven't tried it. BUT.. you'll need an HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant USB-C to HDMI adapter and HDMI 2-compliant cable for full streaming capabilities. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,813
Message 5 of 16

@Doctordonwrote:

It'll depend on the graphics card. I was operating on the assumption Lenovo wouldn't put in a graphics card with capabilities beyond the device's display, but further research (ie digging through my own 920) shows I could be wrong.

Check under displays in Device Manager. If you have the Intel UHD card, then I believe you should be able to get 4k out of the 920. Haven't tried it. BUT.. you'll need an HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant USB-C to HDMI adapter and HDMI 2-compliant cable for full streaming capabilities.

Thanks for your reply. It says I have an "Intel UHD Graphics 620". It was capable of making 2k monitor work so I assume I should have same experince getting a 4k monitor to work... I guess I'll find out when I get the 4k monitor in a few days. I cannot wait to get my 4k lenovo 15.6 laptop (with dedicated graphics card etc so I can edit my 4k videos on it) but I have never used a 4k monitor before and I'm worried it will make evrything very tiny on a 27" monitor... but when I played around with a 4k monitor at BestBuy I changed a setting to make it 150% and this made everything much easier to see... so hoping once I get the 4k laptop if I make same setting adjustment on it that it will make evrything bigger even in programs such as Outlook since I use Microsoft Office Outlook 365 and Photoshop etc and my eyesight sucks (I'm nearighted) but I never wear my glasses when working on the computer... so I'm sure I'm going to need to "scale" the 4k monitor or whatnot...

Thanks!

Yiken
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,454
Message 6 of 16

@Tropical365

Hello there, I'm experiencing the same problem where I have connected my yog920 with a Intel UHD card to a 4K monitor that supports up to 3840x2160 resolution but currently, it only allows a maximum output of 1920x1080. Hence I can't reach the maximum resolution of my new 32" monitor.

I was wondering if you had any luck in getting your 920 to display to your 4K monitor at the maximum resolution. If you do, please kindly share your experience!

Many thanks!

Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,420
Message 7 of 16

@Yiken

I just posted a reply to you but it seems my reply vanished!!??? Smiley Sad Not sure if my reply was posted? This forum I've noticed does stange things. I just wrote reply and now I don't see my reply anywhere?? Maybe it takes this ofurm some time to post my comment?

Tropical365
Punch Card
Views: 1,417
Message 8 of 16

Yiken, this forum is driving me CRAZY I just posted a lengthy reply and my post is nowhere to be found! Smiley Sad My reply vanished! I will re-write it below:

If I understood you correctly your yoga920 is a 1080p laptop? I used this adpater for my 1080p yoga920 to connect it to my 4K external monitor: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5create-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-external-video-adapter-white/5930600.p?skuI... unfortunately I then noticed that adpater says " It supports high-definition resolutions up to 2048 x 1152"... it ran 4K but the quality was off so that's why. I should have used similar adpater but one that's intedned to support 4K.

I ended up returning my yoga920 as I needed a laptop with dedicated graphics cards since I plan to edit 4K videos in the future so I now have the Lenovo Ideapa 720s laptop which has 4K res so I ended up buying this USB-C to DisplayPort Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTZZYKX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am not using any adpaters anymore and that cable works great! Smiley Happy

If your yoga920 laptop is a 4K laptop I'd try using that USB-C to DisplayPort Cable. Hope this helps!! Smiley Happy

Yiken
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,408
Message 9 of 16

Tropical365 ~ thank you so much for your prompt reply. 

My yoga 920 is actually the 4K model, this issue has been driving me nuts as I actually went out this morning to buy a off the shelf usb c to DisplayPort cable. I got back to my office in high hopes that it may work but unfortunately the laptop didn’t even realize the monitor was connected. The cable said it could output to 4K at 60hz but to no avail. I’m assuming only specific cables work particular to this situation. 

I’ve previously bought a usb c to hdmi adapter which only outputs to a maximum of 1920x1080 on my 32” monitor which is causing me a headache physically. 

Its too bad I don’t reside stateside otherwise I’ll order that cable you’re using from amazon in a heartbeat. I’m gonna have to try to get a hold of this cable somehow and give it a try. 

Many thanks once once again for your repeated response! 

JoXJo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,403
Message 10 of 16

I have the lenovo yoga 920 4K Modell, and i have connected 2 32 Inch Monitors with the full 4K Resolution + the Inch from the yoga in full 4K and it works fine. 

But first i have installed a "Bios" Update for the USB Ports found on the web site, after this it works fine.

I am using 2 x Inateck USB-C auf HDMI Kabel 1,8 m, USB-C zu HDMI Adapter 4 k bei 60 Hz

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors