Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hughdal
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,231
Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad Yoga 11s Battery Issue (Solved)

Like many forum members I suffered with battery problems with the IdeaPad. I tried everything from re-loading the operating system all the way to changing the fuse in my wall socket and every other tweak in-between. Still the problem persisited, battery drain and then no charge possible. The solution when it came was beytond simple and Lenovo gets no credit for highlighting this problem or helping it's users.

The problem is this. In most battery plans for the IdeaPasd the default is for the 'sleep' mode when the IdeaPad is not being used (idle). Problem is sleep mode still uses battery power, abiet at a trickle. Still, left for several hours or over night the battery will drain and the user gets a 1% power reading when booting up and the battery won't charge.

The fix is the battery plan 'Stable Mode'. This plan does not let the IdeaPad go into sleep mode with it's battery draining drawback. Once I selected sleep mode I now have a fully charged battery when I start using the IdeaPad. If I am on battery, of course, it drains the battery down but the dreaded sleep mode doesn't kick in to flatten the battery to a state where charging is not possible.

Hope this helps.

Hughdal

Mod Comment: Moved post to this thread, as the OP posted "my system is IdeaPad Yoga 11s" in another thread. Subject edited to match/include model.

Former Administrator
Views: 4,000
Message 2 of 5

Re: IdeaPad Battery Issue (Solved)

Hughdal,

Thanks for sharing your findings with others - sounds like a good work around solution.

I'm not sure which model IdeaPad you experienced these symptoms on.   Generally, I would recommend checking for battery firmware updates (which may be available for some models) and also checking for later versions of energy management software.  

If anyone else is experiencing these same symptoms and found hughdal's solution helpful, could you share which model you have, what OS version and energy manager version installed.

Thanks!

Mark

rslade
What's DOS?
Views: 3,899
Message 3 of 5

I have a Yoga 11s that will only charge up to 60% of capacity when plugged in.  It says it's plugged in but isn't charging.  I have used it and not put it in sleep mode consistently, just closing the cover even when plugged in.  Could that be causing the problem and is there some sort of recovery I can perform to regain capacity, or am I relegated to having to perform major surgery (and expense!) to replace the battery?

Former Administrator
Views: 3,831
Message 4 of 5

rslade,

If plugged in but not charging around 60%, check your power management settings - I will bet it is set to extend battery lifetime by limiting charging to around 58%-60%..

Mark

hughdal
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,091
Message 5 of 5

Mark,

Where do I find these battery maximum charging levels? I've just gone though a couple days at 2% battery charge and then shut down. Don't know what I di but that's up to 30% now. The battery plan is so confusing. I pretty much use the Yoga S11 as a desktop now but this charging management software/hardware can make the Yoga even on mains power unusable as it shuts down even with 110v/240v being delivered. Bottom line, can I disable battery mangement and just run off the mains.

Hughdal

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors