Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leneu
Paper Tape
Views: 448
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad S540-13API high fan speed even at low CPU temperatures

Hello,

the fan speed of my new Ideapad S540-13API is even at low CPU temperatures (about 40°C) and low loads (often less than 5%) too high and noisy.

I updated everything with Lenovo Vantage, the UEFI version is CXCN21WW. The fan control does not change perceptibly when switching between the three Smart Power Presets.

Is there any chance to change the behaviour of the probably erroneous fan control? I think this problem could be solved by changing the fan control parameters in the UEFI, but there are not any settings except the Smart Power Presets that do not affect the 

Thanks in advance!

Or0
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad S540-13API high fan speed even at low CPU temperatures

Hello together,

I use this thead since I have a very similar problem with my IdeaPad S540-15IWL. The fan runs almost permanently at 100% even in idle or under low CPU usage.

Temps are also low. Setting everything back to factory defaults and reinstalling windows didn't help. The smart power states in UEFI are the only settings you can change in this regard but they only seem to affect the max allowed power consumption during turbo boost and not the temperature target or anything.

Like this the notebook is basically not usable anywhere except at home with earplugs or headphones since the noise is crazy...

The notebook is like 3 month old now. However, at the beginning everything was fine and it seems the problem appeared out of a sudden.

Hope someone has an idea

Thanks!

NOTTHISGAIN
Paper Tape
Views: 310
Message 3 of 7

I bought the S540.Unfortunately the fan noise is a common complain with this laptop: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S540-15IWL-Review-A-great-all-rounder-with-only-one-rea... 

I'm no expert by any means bu after doing some research I found out that as adefault the turbo boost is always on. When preforming simple task like web browsing or watching Netflix you don't really need the full 3.8 Ghz processor speed. When it's working on 3.8Ghz it produces a lot of fan noise, because the cores heat up more and the fans need to spin faster.

I found this website and tried method 2.4 the fan noise is a lot less now https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/. When you want to use the laptop for gaming,video/photo editing or other more demanding tasks  you can change the settings and can take advantage of the full (overclocked) processor speed by changing the battery settings.

I own this laptop for a week now and even with this "fix" the fan noise is still annoying sometimes, even at non-max fan speeds there is a high pitched noise which is quite hard to get used to. On the other hand I really like this laptop, it's well build and light and when it comes to specs it's quite hard to find a better deal in Europe at the moment. 

Or0
Paper Tape
Views: 295
Message 4 of 7

Hi NOTTHISGAIN!

Thanks for your reply!

I know that the fan noise is a problem with this laptop but this is as you mentioned a problem with a very high pitched fan noise which is just kind of annoying for your ear even though the absolute noise level (measured in dB) is kind of low for a laptop in this class and price range.

My problem however is that the fan ramps up to full speed even at low CPU temperatures and in idle. I also don't have the problem with the turbo boost level and the CPU clock and temperatures stay low.

What I found out know is that it actually seems to get better if there IS actually some load on the CPU (like 50% usage). The fan speed then seems to adjust fine after a while and stays at a reasonable level.

I think the only reasonable way to go is to send the laptop in because I really think that this is a hardware problem..

NOTTHISGAIN
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 5 of 7

I higly suspect we are talking about the same issue here,but maybe I'm wrong and it is a hardware issue in your case. Have you tried the method I used?

I just checked and when I start up windows the fans are speeding up for a while, when I turn off turboboost it doesn't do that.

Even when I just open an internet browser I can sometimes hear the fans start spining, with turbo boost off this seems to be way less of a problem. There is hardly any difference in CPU clock and temperatures stay almost the same, between turbo boost on/off.

How long do the fans keep spinning in idle?

Leneu
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 6 of 7

In my case, the fans keep spinning in idle for several minutes. It seems that there are no slower fan states allowed. When a (far too low) temperature threshold is exceeded the fan spins high without starting at a lower speed. It stops when the CPU and the entire device is nearly at room temperature.

Or0
Paper Tape
Views: 222
Message 7 of 7

For me it is the same problem, that the fans spin in idle for several minutes sometimes half an hour or longer and it seems that there are no lower fan states..

However, since yesterday I suddenly got rid of the problem somehow and everything seems to work as it should for now!

There were actually two things that changed:

First thing was a Windows Update. I dont know if this can have anything to with it (I resetted the PC already before to see if this changes anything, which it didn't).

Second was that I wanted to try to disable the turbo boost as suggested by NOTTHISGAIN.

Therefore I changed the maximum processor state to 99% since I don't have the option to disable turbo boost directly.

The result was that turbo boost was turned off as described in the link from NOTTHISGAIN however, fans were still at full speed in idle.

After that I restarted and changed the maximum processor state back to 100% so that turbo boost is turned on again.

Since then my fan control seems to work normal! Laptop is silent in idle and even under longer heavy load (with turbo boost) the fan speed and noise is very moderate as it was before the problem occured!

Thanks for your replies and suggestions! I Hope this works for other people too!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors