Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ku1461
Paper Tape
Views: 31,718
Message 1 of 39

Ideapad Yoga 13 can't see 5Ghz network

Hi all,

Just received the machine from Bestbuy today, love it so far except that the Yoga can't see my 5Ghz network on the wireless network list. I can connect to 2.4Ghz side with no problem.

I have Asus router that provide two SSIDs - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, my X220, Samsung phone, iPad don't have any problem connect to either of them -excpet the Yoga 13.

I tried to download and run Realtek driver from Lenovo support site and still can't see the 5Ghz network.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks

dme92189
Paper Tape
Views: 31,634
Message 2 of 39

Re: Ideapad Yoga 13 can't see 5Ghz network

Yes I have this issue too. Its because the wireless card in it is only 2.4GHZ (opened the system and took a look at the card). It looks to be proprietary, very very tiny card. 

I am not sure if this would work, but I am going to try to buy a pci-e mini wireless lenovo card and it put it in there and re-route the antenna wires. There are two pci-e mini slots, and at least in the 128GB version, only one of those slots is occupied. 

Anyone else have other thoughts?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 31,625
Message 3 of 39

Hi @ll,

I don´t know if this works, because the cards are whitelisted perhaps.

But give it a try if you can and tell us the results.

Best
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

mv52
Paper Tape
Views: 31,586
Message 4 of 39

I have the Yoga 13 also and the Wifi is weak in my opinion. Not much range at all and much slower than my old Dell laptop checking them side by side. I really like the Yoga except for this problem. Do you think that adding a USB Wireless N adapter would rectify the wifi problems ?

mv52
Paper Tape
Views: 31,578
Message 5 of 39

I also forgot to mention that the wifi speed drops dramatically when sitting on the lap as compared to my coffee table 

2 ft away from my lap. This is kind of ironic after all " It is a Laptop ".

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 31,566
Message 6 of 39

@mv52 wrote:

I have the Yoga 13 also and the Wifi is weak in my opinion. Not much range at all and much slower than my old Dell laptop checking them side by side. I really like the Yoga except for this problem. Do you think that adding a USB Wireless N adapter would rectify the wifi problems ?

after looking at the hardware maintenance manual for the Yoga, maybe your weaker signal issue is due to the placement of the antennae. they show as being on the front edge of the palm rest, vs at the top of the display as in other machines. just a thought...

regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

mv52
Paper Tape
Views: 31,558
Message 7 of 39

So do you think that a USB wireless N adapter would solve my signal strength problems? The Wifi issue is the only complaint that I have so far. If I could work around the wifi issue it would save me from having to return it to Bestbuy.
ku1461
Paper Tape
Views: 31,485
Message 8 of 39

Thanks all for the response. Too bad the Yoga doesn't have 5Ghz capability since it is much faster than the 2.4 side.

mv52,
With USB adapter, you basically use the antenna that is build into the adapter itself, so the result is depends on the performance of the adapter. I guess you'll have to try it out.

thanks.
upbull340
Punch Card
Views: 31,467
Message 9 of 39

Re: Ideapad Yoga 13 can't see 5 GHz network

I'm sorry to hear about the wireless connection problems.  I can live with 2.4 since my 5g signal at home is always weak.  Hopefully this is an isolated problem or there is a quick fix.

Wonder if any testing was done by Lenovo to ensure adequate signal strength.

No cellular card service, no Ethernet and now limited wifi reception.  Not good.

dme92189
Paper Tape
Views: 31,431
Message 10 of 39

Re: Ideapad Yoga 13 can't see 5 GHz network

Ok, I have done some testing on this. I opened the system up, and attempted to put an Intel Centrino 6205 and 6300 in there, and connect the antennas. 

The cards fit just fine into the mini PCIE slots that the SSDs would typically occupy (if you have the 128GB model, one slot is free out of two). Problem is, nothing sees that the cards are connected, at all. This leads me to believe, after some research on mini-PCIE, that those two mini-PCIE slots are only for storage devices. It would be analagous to me plugging in a network card to a SATA port...won't work.

So, the only internal option remaining is if there is some card like the super tiny one installed that exists out there which supports 5GHz. From some research, I think this won't be possible, since the wireless card in these seems to be proprietary, far as I can tell...

So...bottom line...bad news. No 5GHz I think. I am going to test with one more larger mini-PCIE wireless lenovo card this week and see if that gets anything, but I am skeptical.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors