Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

Malaysia

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550
  • Message 151 of 283

Re: Ideapad Yoga hard disk allocation

2012-11-16, 3:08 AM

Hi All,

After communicating with the engineering, I have a tip about merging C drive and D drive of IdeaPad Yoga. Please take note that it is combining the 2 drives (C and D) and no other partitons/drives. 

While providing this interim tip, we are evaluating a utility that might be able to automate the works above for customers. The tool might free up some other empty spaces too. I am not sure when and if I'd be able to get this tool but would like to let you guys know we're working on something.

A side note, we may change the disk allocation at a point in the future based on customer's feedback. Therefore, your discussion here is really helpful and appreciate forum users like Yikes2000 chimed in providing workaround.

Will keep you posted.

Best regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

6871 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29157 Signins

1669973 Page Views

• Views: 1669973
  • Message 152 of 283

2012-11-16, 3:25 AM

Thanks for the new KB entry on this, Cleo.

Helpful and much appreciated. :)

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

6 Posts

11-16-2012

Texas

15 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 153 of 283

2012-11-16, 9:38 AM

Thank you Yikes2000 and all for the great reallocation assistance.  This worked great for reallocating BUT during the process my Yoga decided to no longer recognize my WD My Passport USB 3.0 drive.  I did not change any drivers nor do any other modifications during the process.

Actually, my SD reader would not work, either, but running the C:\Lenovo\Drivers CardReader setup fixed that immediately.  Trying all the chipset drivers will not fix the USB 3.0 drive issue.  TheWD  My Passport drive will not work in either of the USB ports, HOWEVER, under disk manager it does show up as disk 2, properly functioning, proper size, proper driver.  Under the W8 Devices it is listed as a connected device.  In Explorer, however, there is no WD drive listed.  There is no way to access the drive for use.

Strangely, if I connect the WD My Passport through my HP printer, it works fine and I can read and use all of the saved data (all my recovery data, documents, etc. are stored there as a backup in the event the reallocation did not work).  I can also connect the WD My Passport directly to another computer and it works fine.  It just will not work (cannot be accessed for read/write) on the Yoga if directly connected.

If anyone has a suggestion, I am willing to try anything.  Otherwise, I will have to waste a day by recovering back to the original, trying the reallocation again, and then re-installing my software and apps.  I really would rater not waste this time.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Options

6 Posts

11-16-2012

Texas

15 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 154 of 283

2012-11-16, 9:45 AM

An important note for my post immediately above:  The WD My Passport drive was NOT usable prior to re-installing the IRST software.  I had pre-downloaded the software and had intended to transfer it from the WD drive to the reallocated C: drive but the WD was not there.  I downloaded the IRST software, installed, hoped the WD drive would appear but it did not.

Still trying....

Options

17 Posts

11-14-2012

Connecticut

37 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 155 of 283

2012-11-16, 12:54 PM

When you say that WD Passport Drive shows up in Disk Manager, does it have Drive Letter assigned to any of the patitions? This may sound stupid but I had the same problems before accessing external storage not realizing that somehow automatic letter assignment was not always working.

Options

6 Posts

11-16-2012

Texas

15 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 156 of 283

2012-11-16, 16:00 PM

Netscorer, that is a valid question but moot, I believe.  The WD My Passport does NOT have a drive number assigned, only recognized as Disk 1, when connected directly to the Yoga.  However, if I connect the WD My Passport indirectly (through my USB connected printer's USB expansion port), the WD My Passport remains Disk 1 under Disk Manager but it is assigned a drive letter (D) at that time and becomes visible to explorer, allowing files to be viewed, read, written, etc.

I say the question is moot because the Yoga does assign a letter when indirectly connected.  Additionally, I can put a USB Memory Stick in either the USB 3.0 or 2.0 slots and the memory stick is recognized and assigned a drive letter.  It seems the WD My Passport is the only drive not recognized when connected directly to either USB port.  Since it reacts the same in either USB port I have ruled out the USB 3.0 driver being an issue but I did re-install those drivers to test with no luck.

Since the My Passport is readable on other computers and indirectly, I do not suspect any problems with it.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Options

21 Posts

10-29-2012

USA

400 Signins

961 Page Views

• Views: 961
  • Message 157 of 283

2012-11-16, 16:32 PM

seabumb,

Attach the Passport directly to Yoga, Disk Management -> Right click on the partition to the right of "Disk 1" -> Change Drive Letter and Path. Could you add a driver letter (e.g. D: ) to it?

(OBSOLETE!!!) How-To: Reclaim SSD Space from Yoga 13
Options

6 Posts

11-16-2012

Texas

15 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 158 of 283

2012-11-16, 19:04 PM

Yikes2000, sorry, I should have noted that I did this previously and I can assign a drive letter through Disk Manager.  When doing this the WD My Passport is treated as a fixed hard drive and not as a removable drive.  If I unplug the drive and re-plug it into the USB port it is no longer visible and I have to re-assign.  If I reboot the computer, WD My Passport still connected, the same thing happens on reboot, it is not seen and I have to reassign.

None of this happened until the reallocation was done.  It really makes no sense to me but I am still trying to get this drive working properly.  I can manage with reassigning a drive letter every time I want to use the WD My Passport but I am not happy that there is obviously an under-lying issue that needs corrected.

Thanks.

Options

4 Posts

11-16-2012

United States

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 159 of 283

2012-11-16, 21:19 PM

Glad I saw this post; I was about to use the solution, but I don't want my WD drive to stop working properly. There must be an easier way to accomplish this.

On a side note, anyone using skydrive for automatic backups? I like that I can add files to it and sync it to my computer, but there should be an easy option to backup my primary folders but I'm not seeing it. Any suggestions? I bought the 100GB storage, but it's tedious to manually backup everything.

Thanks

V/R

Mike

Options

15 Posts

11-15-2012

California

46 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 160 of 283

2012-11-16, 21:40 PM

wrote:

Glad I saw this post; I was about to use the solution, but I don't want my WD drive to stop working properly. There must be an easier way to accomplish this.

On a side note, anyone using skydrive for automatic backups? I like that I can add files to it and sync it to my computer, but there should be an easy option to backup my primary folders but I'm not seeing it. Any suggestions? I bought the 100GB storage, but it's tedious to manually backup everything.

Thanks

V/R

Mike

Windows 8 has a thing call File History.  Try that and using SkyDrive as the destination.  I set mine up with my NAS.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)