Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-19-2012

Victoria BC

1 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 171 of 283

Re: Ideapad Yoga hard disk allocation

2012-11-19, 4:01 AM
Thanks!...sorry I didnt read far enough in the other posts. Thanks That worked!
Options

4 Posts

11-19-2012

Victoria BC

1 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 172 of 283

2012-11-19, 4:18 AM

This forum and Yikes200's help plus the fact that Lenovo have shown both interest and support has changed my ideas about the Yoga 13. I liked everything about it except for the unusable amount of storage space in th basic configuration. I was looking for an intel based Windows 8 tablet platform to roll out to several hundred locations and had almost written it off till I became aware of this fix.  Many thanks to Yikes and also to the Lenovo techs for monitoring the issue and responding. Much happier with my Yoga 13 now, and it is back as a contender alongside the Dell XPS12 and others.

Options

7 Posts

11-15-2012

10 Signins

95 Page Views

• Message 173 of 283

2012-11-19, 5:50 AM

can anybody help me with my recovery issue? i put the recovery exactly how it said but i cant recover now

Options

1 Posts

11-24-2012

Portland OR

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 174 of 283

2012-11-24, 3:28 AM

Registered to say THANKS to everyone posting in here. I was not going to buy the Yoga simply because of the disk allocation issue, but decided I'd try it thanks to this thread.

Yikes, Lenovo should send you a check :)

With that--I have a few questions about Intel Rapid Start.

I followed all the steps Yikes prescribed to get my hard drive space back, and went into my Bios to get Intel Rapid Start working again. I installed it and everything seems peachy. 

Currently my settings are this:

Intel Rapid Start Technology: On

Advanced Settings:

Critical Battery: On

Timer: Off (10 minutes)

Is my understanding correct that currently I'm not really utilizing Intel Rapid Start? The only time it would kick in would be when my battery is low, it would flip it from S3 to S4?

My thought is I should either turn on the timer and use the technology, or just remove Intel Rapid Start altogether (which would free up space?)

So...

1) Do I need to turn the timer on to really take full advantage of Intel Rapid Start?

2) How much battery does Intel Rapid Start save by keeping system in S4 instead of S3?

3) Are there any other benefits to Intel Rapid Start?

4) If I remove Intel Rapid Start, how much hard drive space will I save?

5) What steps need to be taken to completely remove Intel Rapid Start?

Thanks again to all who have contributed.

-Josh

Options

57 Posts

10-26-2012

North Carolina

148 Signins

684 Page Views

• Views: 684
  • Message 175 of 283

2012-11-24, 3:49 AM

Anyone notice the new update patch from Lenovo that repartitions for you?! It's pretty amazing! No reboot required or anything. Here's a quote:

Here's a Hotfix from Lenovo to fix the partitioning scheme on the SSD: Hotfix for Windows 8 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Yoga 13

This tool will make changes to the partition structure on your PC’s hard drive. To ensure safe operation, please read the FAQ sheet below. It is recommended you backup your data prior to using this tool.

What does this tool do?
The tool adds to the size of the C drive by doing three things: First, it will merge the D drive with the C drive. Second, it will check the actual used space in the OneKey Recovery (OKR) partition, and then will resize that partition accordingly. Finally, free space recovered from the OKR partition will also be merged with the C drive.

How much space will I have?
This varies based on a number of factors, including how much data you have on your C drive, how much data you have on your D drive, and even the language of Windows 8. Typically, a US English edition of Windows 8 will have a 95-100GB C drive once the tool is complete. Note this is the total size of the C drive, not actual free space. Free space will depend entirely on how much data you already have on your system.

What will happen to the data on my D drive?
Any data on the D drive will be moved to a D_Backup folder on the C drive.

What will happen to applications installed on my D drive?
It is critical any applications installed to the D drive are uninstalled before using this tool. Applications can be reinstalled to the C drive once the tool is finished. Any applications not uninstalled from the D drive prior to running the tool will likely no longer work once the partition restructure is complete.

Will I still be able to use OneKey Recovery (OKR) after I run this tool?
Yes, OneKey Recovery can still be used to restore the system to factory contents. Note: The “Application” and “Drivers” folders currently on the D drive will not be restored by OneKey Recovery. Ensure these folders are backed up prior to running OKR.

If I run OKR, will I have to run this tool to resize the partitions again?
No. The changes to the partition structure will persist through an OKR restore.

I’ve already used Disk Management to merge my C and D drives. Can I still use this tool?
Yes. If you have already merged the C and D drives, the tool will simply skip that operation and move to dynamic reallocation of OKR partition space.

I’ve already used third party instructions or tools to rearrange my partitions beyond just merging the C and D drives. Can I still use this tool?
No. This tool is designed to restructure the drive based on the out-of-box partition structure, or with C and D drive merge as the only change made. If any other changes have already been made to your partition structure, use of this tool may have unintended consequences.

Installation Instructions:
Download the file
Right-click the file and select “Run as Administrator”
When prompted, enter Y (Yes) to proceed
Wait,
Done!

Options

4 Posts

11-24-2012

Bellingham

17 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 176 of 283

2012-11-24, 8:47 AM

Hey all,

I followed the great instructions provided by Yikes2000. Everything was fine. Well, almost everything. My C Drive is now 112gb, but I made a big mistake. My 8gb usb flash drive was a few megs short to create a recovery drive so I used a SD Card instead. Now, my SD Card isn't recognized as a bootable drive, but it does have 7.30gb of files on it. If I buy a 16gb usb flash drive, can I copy the files from the SD card to it? Will the new usb drive be bootable? If not, I am in serious need of a recovery drive so I can get my system back to factory specs and use the new patch to free up space.

Options

56 Posts

10-20-2012

Ireland

439 Signins

1586 Page Views

• Views: 1586
  • Message 177 of 283

2012-11-24, 9:19 AM

I'm sure you've already tried this but how about trying a USB card reader?

Options

56 Posts

10-20-2012

Ireland

439 Signins

1586 Page Views

• Views: 1586
  • Message 178 of 283

2012-11-24, 9:50 AM

I can confirm that the SD card is not given as an option in the boot menu but seems to be recognized ok when in a USB card reader :smileyhappy: I wasn't quite ready to recover my system (want to backup my files first) so stopped at the language selection screen but I'm pretty sure it would have worked fine.

Options

3 Posts

11-24-2012

Earth

2 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 179 of 283

2012-11-24, 10:53 AM
Had to register to say thanks for posting these instructions.
The Yoga had looked very attractive to me after my old iPad died but then I started reading about how little of the SSD you could actually use and wrote the machine off. Now I will have to look into it again,
Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Views: 1667
  • Message 180 of 283

2012-11-24, 14:37 PM

There's a link provided in this tread that consolidates partition drives into one drive. Therefore, recovering lost space.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms