Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

47 Posts

02-22-2013

Cologne, Germany

72 Signins

369 Page Views

• Views: 369
  • Message 241 of 283

Re: Ideapad Yoga hard disk allocation

2013-02-22, 19:48 PM

Yes, but I don't understand it. What's the difference between his post/solution and Lenovo fix. But the most important question is how do I know if I need it? That's why I've posted my numbers.

Options

1 Posts

02-22-2013

UK

17 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 242 of 283

2013-02-22, 23:35 PM

Hi, 

I just bought my Yoga 13 (4GB, 128 SSD) in the UK today.  The guy in the shop advised me to run the hotfix to free up more space once I got it home, which I did straight away.  C drive was 93GB out of the box and is now 100GB (with 73GB free).  The number of drives showing is now 65 (C, EFI, OEM, Recovery 1GB, Recovery 8.5 GB, Primary)

I have a few of questions about this, which after reading all 25 pages of this forum, still cannot find answers to. 

1) Did I really need to run the hotfix given that Lenovo seem to have made their own pre-sale changes?  I'm guessing not, give that only 7GB was gained.  Are there any consequences to doing this unnecessarily that I should be aware of?

2) How do I know the hotfix has worked correctly?  Is there anything I need to check?  People on here seem to have reported problems with the hotfix.  I don't remember getting any error messages, but would like to know everything went OK.

3) What functionality have I lost?  What were Lenovo's reasons for having the applications and driver folders on the D drive?  I read that if I was to run OKR, these files would have been unaffected. Why would this be useful?  What is their purpose?

4)  Is there a way to put things back to how they were?  i.e. create a D drive and put the contents of D_Backup back onto it?  Would it be worth doing this?

5)  If  installing new applications or programmes, is the D drive where they would have gone?  If I install new stuff post hotfix, will they now go into a new application or driver folder on C?  A driver folder has been created when I installed Lenovo Energy mamagement from the same updates page as I did the hotfix from. 

6) Do I now need to back up any folders on C that I wouldn't have had to before? e.g.  since OKR won't restore them? 

8) After backing up D_backup to a pen drive, as suggsted in the hotfix instructions, do I still need to keep this on C?  Or can I deleted this folder now?

9) What am I supposed to with the pen drive copy of D_backup and when?  After running OKR?

10) McAfee if the only folder in the applications folder of D_backup.  The instructions say I should have uninstalled any applications on D before running the hotfix, which in my haste I didn't.  Will this now prgram now be broken?  It hasn’t given me any massages. 

11) I actually want to uninstall McAfee and put the version on that I have 3 year licence for..  How do I do this cleanly? There are McAfee files on C/program files as well as in the applications folder in D_backup.

If someone could help me out with these questions it would be a great help and really put my mind a rest.

Sorry, but I'm not particulalry computer savvy, but feel like I've done something I didn't need to.

Many thanks in advance. 

Options

6 Posts

02-23-2013

Rome City

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 243 of 283

2013-02-24, 0:03 AM

I need some help! I downoaded the hotfix from the lenovo website and ran it on my computer and received a ERROR 5 about half way through saying "Access Denied" when I reached 96.1% on a certain install. It just kept retrying and getting nowhere over and over. I started out with Local Disk C: having a little over 10GB free and now I only have 23.0MB! My D drive is also gone and replaced with a "PBR_DRV (Q:)" which contains OKRBackup, onekey and LRSBooyTmpT12. My drivers appear to have moved to the C drive but I do have those backed up via USB. Is there anything I can do to fix this manually?

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Views: 1667
  • Message 244 of 283

2013-02-24, 0:36 AM

Credit goes to Yikes2000 which I found to fix all my issues. He posted the following;

DISCLAIMER: By following these steps, you assume all risks for anything and everything that goes wrong.  Proceed with caution.

1) Create a Windows 8 Recovery Drive (external harddrive or 8GB USB stick).

Control Panel -> Search for "Recovery" -> "Create a recovery drive",      then check the box "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to      the recovery drive".

If anything goes wrong, use this Recovery Drive to re-install Windows 8.

2) Copy Lenovo D:\ to C:\Lenovo\.

Admin CMD> ROBOCOPY D:\Application C:\Lenovo\Application /MIR /NFL /NDL      Admin CMD> ROBOCOPY D:\drivers C:\Lenovo\drivers /MIR /NFL /NDL

3) Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a programs    Uninstall "Intel Rapid Start Technology".

Reboot when prompted.

4) Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management    Right click on D:\ -> Change Drive Letter and Paths -> Remove D:

Use DISKPART to delete 3 partitions:

Admin CMD> diskpart    DISKPART> sel disk 0    DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------      Partition 1    Recovery          1000 MB  1024 KB      Partition 2    System             260 MB  1001 MB      Partition 3    Unknown           1000 MB  1261 MB      Partition 4    Reserved           128 MB  2261 MB      Partition 5    Primary             63 GB  2389 MB      Partition 6    Primary             25 GB    66 GB      Partition 7    Unknown              8 GB    91 GB      Partition 8    Recovery            20 GB    99 GB

Delete the last 3 partitions.

DISKPART> sel part 8    DISKPART> del part override

DISKPART> sel part 7    DISKPART> del part override       DISKPART> sel part 6    DISKPART> del part override

Reboot.

5) Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management

Right click on ( C: ) in the diagram -> Extend Volume...      Extend by 50175 MB, leaving 4GB at the end.  (54271 - 4096 = 50175)      If you upgraded RAM to 8GB, subtract 8192 instead of 4096.

Right click on the unallocated space -> New Simple Volume...      Create a simple volume with the 4GB (4096 MB) unallocated space.      Don't assign a drive letter to it, don't format it.

Admin CMD> diskpart    DISKPART> sel disk 0    DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------      Partition 1    Recovery          1000 MB  1024 KB      Partition 2    System             260 MB  1001 MB      Partition 3    Unknown           1000 MB  1261 MB      Partition 4    Reserved           128 MB  2261 MB      Partition 5    Primary            112 GB  2389 MB      Partition 6    Primary           4096 MB   115 GB

Notice partition 6 is the one just created (4096 MB = 4GB).

DISKPART> sel part 6    DISKPART> set id=D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593

6) Download Intel Rapid Start from:    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21612

Execute Rapid_Start_Win7_2.1.0.1002.exe to extract the driver    to the directory C:\Driver_Win7.  If you change the default directory    to somewhere else, then you will get an error afterwards.  Don't worry,    just execute IRST\setup.exe at your designated directory.

IRST\setup.exe should install IRST without any problem.  Once    installed, find the IRST Manager in the Notification Icon and use it to    adjust IRST parameters to your liking.

You could test IRST by enabling its timer and setting it to 1 minute.    Put your Yoga to sleep (the power button should blink), wait 60 seconds,    notice the laptop fan spins up for a second, then all is quiet (the power    button no longer blinks).

Congratulations!  Your C:\ drive is now 112 GB in size.

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Message 245 of 283

2013-02-24, 0:38 AM

Also, before I followed Yikes2000 detailed steps, I cloned my Yoga drive before continuing in case I screwed up. I recommend you do the same.

Options

47 Posts

02-22-2013

Cologne, Germany

72 Signins

369 Page Views

• Views: 369
  • Message 246 of 283

2013-02-24, 0:44 AM

Hey bro! Thanks for all that but thats Chinese for me! Before even trying to do something like that I'd like to know if I am  actually lacking free space. Dont wanna do all that (cause I am not good at it) if I actually I wont any extra space.

Right now by going to Computer I see that I have a C partition with 187GB free out of 223 and a partition called Lenovo (D) with 2.34GB out of 3.99.

Btw, how do you clone your computer? And what do you mean with that? For example, its the same going the PC Setting and doing something that says "Restore your computer to its factory state"? By cloning mine I wont have problems with the Windows 8 (asking serial numbers and stuff)?

Sorry, but I wish knew all this and i didnt have to come here for help.

P.s. I actually returned my Yoga today, 2 days and started having dead/stucked pixels, apart from the noisy fan. I should be getting a new on Tuesday.

Options

6 Posts

02-23-2013

Rome City

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 247 of 283

2013-02-24, 0:47 AM

I only ran the hotfix. I backed up the files that were in my D drive but thats all. I believe everything is still there, its just so jumbled now I'm not sure what to do. Everything is working fine, I just no longer have any space left in my C drive. Im not sure if I should run the hotfix again or wait for better advice on how to do it myself.

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Message 248 of 283

2013-02-24, 1:01 AM

By cloning your hard drive, you are making an exact copy of it when you first bought it. Windows 8 has a feature and it works great... no need to re-enter license key info. Check it out and good luck man..

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/using-windows-8s-hidden-backup-to-clone-and-recover-your-whole-pc/

Options

21 Posts

10-29-2012

USA

400 Signins

961 Page Views

• Views: 961
  • Message 249 of 283

2013-02-24, 17:12 PM

Given Lenovo's hotfix, my instructions are now obsolete to the novice.  Only experts who understand the consequences should attempt to reclaim more SSD space (e.g. IRST partition) froim their Yoga.

Kudos to Lenovo for listening to their customers.  New Yogas are shipped with SSD partitions that maximumizes usable space on C: (about 100 GB, I believe).  If you need more, buy the 256 GB SSD Yoga or use an external USB drive.

(OBSOLETE!!!) How-To: Reclaim SSD Space from Yoga 13
Options

55 Posts

08-08-2012

penang

78 Signins

576 Page Views

• Views: 576
  • Message 250 of 283

2013-03-13, 4:14 AM

hi....
i successfully accessed the bios by pressing the "novo" button n i saw the windows license is stated in the BIOS....i was trying on Yoga 13 but i donno if Yoga 11 has such so called "novo" button or not~
and 1 more thing, u will be able to access the bios after u access the bios by pressing the "novo" button, i mean u would see the "Press F2 to Enter BIOS" on the left bottom of the screen~this doesn't even exist before i press the "novo" button~
these are the informations i can give so far but only for yoga 13~i havent try it on yoga 11 and only if i can find the novo button on yoga 11~

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms