Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Views: 1667
  • Message 261 of 283

Re: Ideapad Yoga hard disk allocation

2013-03-22, 22:09 PM

I'm not sure the fix applies anymore to newer Yoga's that are out now.  I could be wrong but that is what I heard.

Options

4 Posts

04-02-2013

qatar

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 262 of 283

Will OKR work if I reduce only reduce C drive size and enlarge D drive size?

2013-04-02, 11:36 AM

hello,

I have refurbished untouched yoga 13 8GB mem 256 GB hard drive.

I want to put all my data on the D drive and programs only on the C drive. Reason once something does not work on my PC I just reimaged the C drive with an old image with out loosing all my data on the D drive.

Now I want to reduce the C drive to approx. 50 GB and allocate the space coming free to the D drive.

Question 1: If I implement this change will OKR (one Key Recovery) still work?

Question 2 :If I implement this change and OKR does not work what is then the best way forward achieving my aim

Thanks

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Views: 1287
  • Message 263 of 283

Re: Will OKR work if I reduce only reduce C drive size and enlarge D drive size?

2013-04-02, 11:52 AM

First, I believe that OKR will work, but only to make backups.  It won't be able to restore the factory OEM recovery WIM to the reduced partition.  However, I'm quite sure that a user-initiated backup would restore just fine.  That said, by simply deleting your D partition after a backup, extending the C partition to its original size, would probably work to recover from the OEM partition.

I was curious about all this as well, as I had planned to create a data partition after the hotfix, as that's the way I've always rolled.  However, W8 now makes things so easy to "refresh" the OS back to your original state while keeping your data intact using the advanced boot "refresh" option.  Of course it's a good idea to use either File Backup or other file backup software just in case.  This idea can even be taken to greater heights if you create a custom W8 refresh "baseline" once you've installed all drivers if you are coming from a "clean install" or you have just booted up your new PC.  You do this with the recimg command, and there are a ton of tutorials on how to do this in W8.  In the end, I just chose to have only one system partition.  I

Options

4 Posts

04-02-2013

qatar

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 264 of 283

Re: Will OKR work if I reduce only reduce C drive size and enlarge D drive size?

2013-04-02, 12:51 PM

Thanks still some questions (= I do not have enough knowledge yet)

1 If I make a back up with OKR (with changed partition sizes) can I then restore from that backup using OKR keeping the changed partition sizes  (e.g. 50 GB C drive and the rest D drive?). Will it not change the partition sizes of the C and D drive to the original?

2 Will windows refresh also install all the programs previously installed??

Typically the majority of work is to reinstall all the installed programs on the PC. The beauty of reimaging is that once you have an image which works - with al the installed programs drivert etc.- reimaging takes 5 minutes and the PC works as it did before.

Question for Lenovo: Is it not possible to change OKR such that is can do a fresh install using the smaller C drive partition ?? That should not be too difficult!!

Rgds

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Message 265 of 283

2013-04-02, 13:03 PM

As I said before, I'm pretty sure you can make your own backup using OKR and restore it, even to the smaller system partition.  The partition sizes are only set and recorded on the recovery partition for use with OEM recovery image.  A user image stored on your D drive or somewhere else won't repartition your hard drive.  That said, if you're looking for a backup solution, I wouldn't use OKR.  I would use something free, more trusted, and offers more options if need be, something like Paragon or the free Macrium versions.  

And yes, images and the W8 refresh function very differently.  Of course, if you get stuck with something, or you can't boot, an image will quickly get you going again.  However, if you're a person who likes to re-install the OS from time to time to get rid of the clutter and the bloat that builds up on the C drive, instead of reinstalling the OS, you can now just use the refresh option instead, which keeps your data in place.  But, yes, you would have to reinstall all your software and drivers.  The only difference between a refresh and reset is that the former keeps your data and the latter doesn't.  

Options

4 Posts

04-02-2013

qatar

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 266 of 283

2013-04-02, 13:22 PM

Oke will do the folowing

1Use the space recovery utility from Lenovo (which migrates the C and D drive and optimizes some more space)

2Create a D drive with e.g Paragon

3 Move all my data to the D drive

4 Create and restore images of C drive to and from  my D drive as I see fit with Paragon

In case I get stuck:

5 Backup my data from the D drive to an external disk

6 Delete the D drive with Paragon

7 Enlarge the C drive with all the space of the deleted D drive with Paragon

8 Use OKR to restore the yoga original (this time with only a C drive)

9 start again with step 2

Would that work?

Thanks.

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Message 267 of 283

2013-04-02, 13:31 PM

I don't see why that wouldn't work, unless during the resizing of the system partition back and forth you don't end up with the exact same size as recorded on the recovery partition.  I would pay attention to your before and after sizes with Paragon.  As an added measure, in Windows, use its built-in recovery drive generator using the option to "copy contents of recveory drive" in order to make sure everything is in order.  AND, like I have, create a FULL DISK backup using Paragon before you do anything, making sure you copy the GPT partition bits at the front of the disk.  A GPT disk also has bits at the very end as well, but I think these are generated if you use the command diskpart to "convert to GPT" if you wipe the entire disk to begin fresh.  But, I'm pretty sure that Paragon has all their GPT bases covered now in their latest versions.  

And, if that fails, there are ways to take your backed-up recovery partition, combine the *.SWM files into one large *.WIM file and use diskpart (or DISM preferably) to "apply" the WIM to a system partition.  

With all that said, you can always grab a fresh MSDN W8 ISO and use that to install W8.  The key is already in the BIOS and you have all the drivers you ever need.  So, there is no reason to worry about the OEM recovery partition.  

Options

4 Posts

04-02-2013

qatar

5 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 268 of 283

2013-04-02, 13:50 PM

Floepie, tanks a lot for your help makes me a lot more certain which way to go.

Rgds

Options

4 Posts

04-11-2013

Canada MST

10 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 269 of 283

Question

2013-04-11, 13:26 PM

Thank you all for the information you have posted in here for us novices. 

I am purchasing one of these devices today, and running the hotfix if the memory is less then 100GB. 

It has been mentioned that if one can afford it they should just buy the 256SSD version, I can't seem to find any online, can anyone link to one?

Thanks!

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Views: 1667
  • Message 270 of 283

Re: Question

2013-04-11, 17:15 PM
You can get a 256GB SSD Yoga on Lenovo.com
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms