Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: Is having an active digitizer really worth it?

2013-12-18, 2:43 AM

My local BestBuy here in Charlotte had I think 8 Surface Pro 2's in stock the other day.  The one that is sold out everywhere is the Surface 2.  Basically you are getting Office with a nice tablet thrown in for free.  Surface 2 is a great example of a tablet that should have had a digitizer (along with the Y2P).  Still can't imagine why anyone would go ARM when they coould go Bay Trail for less and get full Windows.

I don't think either of these are that popular.  I think MS just learned their lesson the first go round and manufactured far fewer units so it would look like they were selling out.

Right now I use a Notier V2 stylus along with a terrycloth screen wipe beneath my palm and it works remarkably well.  I think one of the challenges for inking in OneNote is just OneNote itself - the inking is jerky and inconsistent.  For instance, if I use this stylus to write in MS Fresh Paint and wriite with a brush I can write quite beautifully.

Here is the Notier V2.  Really a nice stylus for the money.  Disc doesn't cratch the screen and nib doesn't wear out plus longer and nicely weighted.  Here is picture:

Notier V2.jpg

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 12 of 23

2013-12-18, 4:08 AM

I would like to see a bluetooth pen for windows. Seems like they're all made for iPad.

I really would've liked to have seen an active digitizer for the Yoga 2 Pro, but for what I wanted I would've had to trade off too much for the digitizer. (or pay way more for the thinkpad yoga.. About 50% more) I might get a wacom tablet for some notes here and there. Annoying to have to have something separate, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 13 of 23

2013-12-18, 10:13 AM

I actually spoke to a Representative from Adonit.  They would LOVE to develop a bluetooth pen for Windows but Microsoft won't give them the necessary code to do it.  You want to know why the Microsoft Marketplace sucks?  Because Microsoft does a TERRIBLE JOB or supporting developers.

Not only does Microsoft shove crappy products like Office 2013 (my God it is just horrible) down our throats, they make it impossible for anyone else to improve things.  I have Offiice 2013 and Office 2007.  In Office 2013 literally everything is harder to do and looks worse.  Worst "upgrade" ever.  Even font-smoothing algorithms like qdipp that work in everything else won't work in Office 2013.  You will take your jagged pixelated fonts and you will like them!  That's basically their attitude.  If I didnt have such a legacy commitment to MS I would have abandoned them years ago.

ANOTHER WEIRD THING:

Why hasn't anyone developed a simple app that would allow the user to create a movable "dead zone" for palm rejection that can sit over an app we are inking in?  Android has tons of these and it's no big deal.  Why the heck doesn't OneNote come with this option natively?  It would probably take someone at MS 15 minutes to write that option in but nothing ever happens.

One more example of MS ignoring what users want and delivering what users never asked for (e.g., killing the Start Button).

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 14 of 23

2013-12-18, 14:55 PM

I came really close this morning to doing it.  The Vaio Flip 13A just went on sale at BestBuy and I came very close to returning my Y2P for that so that I would have access to the active digitizer.

But I just couldn't do it.  3200 x 1800 on this rig is just too glorious and sexy to give up.  Yeah Photoshop and Flash and Dreamweaver SUCK at 3200 x 1800 but all it takes is a second to switch to 1920 x 1080 when I need to use those until Adobe finally gets their DPI act together.

The screen looks fine on the Vaio Flip 13A but it just isn't this.

Yes the digitizer would be cool to have but I honestly would use that maybe 5% of the time compared to looking at this glorious display 100% of the time.  The tradeoff just isn't worth it.

As mentioned previously, I will probably just pick up a Venue 8 Pro next time it goes on sale and use that for any handwritten notes I need to take.  Probably a better solution anyway than trying to write on a 13.3" tablet.  OneNote syncs so quickly that writing on one is like writing on the other anyway and using an 8" "notepad" just makes more sense.  One cool thing is that my sleeve for the Y2P has a zippered pocket on the front the perfect size to also carry the Venue 8 Pro.

If I desperately need to ink something on my Y2P the stylus I mentioned previously does just fine even if it isn't the most elegant solution.  It works in a pinch.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Message 15 of 23

2013-12-18, 18:24 PM

I might actually go that direction as well and get a venue 8 pro or some other tablet with an active digitizer if they go cheap enough. regular wacom tablets (usb pluggable ones) are around $100 anyway. Might as well just get a tablet if they fall into the $150 - 200 range. Though adding the stylus makes it closer to $220 - $270.

Something to think about, might just wait and get one in the next 6 mo. or so. Would've been a no brainer at the $99 price point, but right now I'm going to wait.

Probably would be useful for me anyway since I don't actually have a tablet at the moment.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 16 of 23

2013-12-18, 20:47 PM

One thing to think about.  Constantly writing with a sharply pointed stylus on a screen like this can't do it any good.  One thing I noticed when trying out the Vaio Flip was that the screen deformed pretty badly beneath the pen.

The "secondary small tablet to be used as an electronic notepad for writing and syncing with the Y2P" really does mke sense on a lot of levels.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 17 of 23

2013-12-19, 23:58 PM

Just went and looked one last time at the Vaio Flip at my local BestBuy.  Would love access to the pen but it is just not worth it.  I am a total font snob now - any fuzziness is completely unacceptable.  The weird part on the Flip is that even though that is only a 14" screen at full 1920 x 1080, the fonts are a real mess.  I mean jaggies galore.  At 1920 x 1080 the Y2P looks way way way better.

The heck with the pen, I couldn't look at that mess all day.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Message 18 of 23

2013-12-21, 0:09 AM

I'm looking at the intuos small tablet just for taking notes. One problem I'm thinking of is that it might be too small or some other issues.

I tried the galaxy note at bestbuy and it was really good, but the price was insane for what I need it for. I have until about Jan 20th to make a decision, but I may end up just relying on paper instead of digitizing all my notes for college. I'm not so good at organizing stuff so I thought digitizing everything would help, but with NO company making the right moves on a digitizer with an ultrabook it seems like I'm kind of stuck.

If the Y2P had an active digitizer it would've been the absolute perfect solution. I was going to get the surface pro 2 but then saw the screen at bestbuy and realized it would be no good for long writing/coding sessions and running multiple applications that screen would've been a pain, so it didn't reach my requirements.

thinkpad with active digitizer, lol, I could pick up a galaxy note tablet and the Y2P and be in that price range.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 19 of 23

2013-12-21, 3:30 AM

The updated Acer R7 has Haswell, IPS screen and active digitizer. Looks like improvement over original and very sturdy base for taking notes. At 5 lbs not a carry around tablet but good desk tablet. $899 at Bestbuy. Make sure you look at the newer 527 model.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Message 20 of 23

2013-12-21, 6:53 AM

Well I already have the Y2P and I don't think I'm going to sell it off, so it's more of a debate between getting a USB Wacom tablet or a Win 8.1 tablet with a digitizer.

I think I'm going to boot linux off an external portable USB 3.0 drive when I need Linux available. (500GB or more for dependencies if I'm compiling things from source, obviously the 128gb internal SSD wouldn't be enough for such tasks.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms