Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 21 of 23

Re: Is having an active digitizer really worth it?

2013-12-21, 21:55 PM

Unless you are an artist and need pressure sensitivity there is really no reason to get a pen.  One of the reasons excellent capacitive styli as the one I recommended earlier struggle a bit in OneNote is that the inking algorithm in OneNote sucks. It's not the pen, it's the program,  Even a digitizer pen will look pretty dodgy writing in OneNote.

To demonstrate this, try writing some text in Fresh Paint using a brush.  You will notice your handwriting dramatically improved over OneNote.  I think one of the issues in OneNote is that handwriting is being read as text realtime for searching later and this results in sloppy penmanship.

Yes I would love it if the Y2P had a pen, but I haven't seen a device with a pen yet that offers enough to give up all of the other things the Y2P does so well.

As a matter of fact, it is really only the lack of a digitizer that prevents the Y2P from being THE perfect hybrid.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 22 of 23

2013-12-28, 22:19 PM

Other than my screen bleeding a little bit and the flex when I close it I'm pretty happy with the Y2P. I also don't trust the durability on the Y2P too much after using it for awhile, it seems somewhat fragile. Looking at prices on the old Yoga 13 I almost think I should've just went with that since it is about $250 cheaper than what I paid, but battery life is kind of important to me. Of course, I also got a better screen and a limited warranty.

I've been thinking about picking up a Surface Pro V1 refurb for $500 and a type v1 cover for $65 - 70. That is basically what an iPad air costs. I'm amazed how much value the Surface Pro version 1 stuff has lost over just a year, I guess I will never buy a new microsoft product.

The other option I have is the Thinkpad Tablet 2.

They're both basically the same price, and both would be secondary devices. (even though the Surface Pro is supposed to be a primary device the screen size and etc would be limiting for more advanced tasks, making it more of a secondary device in my mind that I could do work on if I was in a pinch.)

The Yoga 2 Pro & Surface Pro/TPT2 combo would bring my costs to $1,400 with a combo that potentially does every single thing I would want to do on the go.

One other cheaper option would be to wait for the supposed Wacom enabled Asus Vivotab that is set to retail at $300. I'm not listing the Venue 8 pro because there's been a lot of problems reported with it's digitizer.

I would never trust writing on the Y2P screen - it flexes and has issues even when transforming it into tablet mode, it's fine for touch but for pen I don't trust it at all.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 23 of 23

2013-12-29, 0:31 AM

ok well it's a done deal. I got the surface pro refurb & open box touch cover for a total of $539. Seemed like good enough value. My total Y2P & Surface Pro combo costing me $1389, which again, seems like good enough value. Guess we'll see which I use the most out and about, and I might sell off one of them, who knows, but keeping both doesn't exactly break the bank either. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms