Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 1 of 23

Is having an active digitizer really worth it?

2013-12-16, 22:48 PM

For some odd reason, I have always desired an active digitizer.  I am not an artist or someone who enjoys drawing or using paint programs.  I am not a doctor or shop foreman who would benefit from being able to write on a tablet as I walk around.  I am honestly never in a situation where I cannot type.

And let's face it folks, typing is way way way better than writing.  I can type faster than I write, I can search on what I have typed more accurately, I can read what I have typed a month from now (my handwriting is pretty awful), I barely have to think to type (handwriting takes concentration) and I can copy what I have typed and paste it into other programs.  If I really really need to handwrite something I can use a simple stylus - not great but it works.

So WHY do I crave an active digitizer so much so that I have seriously considered trading my Y2P in for a Viao Flip which other than the digitizer is an inferior machine in every way?  It is silly and yet it is there nagging at me.  I could get a Thinkpad Yoga but it is close to $500 more for a similar configuration and I get a worse screen and heavier machine.

Does anyone else suffer over this as much as I do?  It is just so silly.  I have owned a Note 10.1, a Note 2 and a Surface Pro, all with the idea I would use the pen and guess what?  Never used it.  Why? Because my handwriting sucks and typing is better.

Oh well, would have been nice if Lenovo had solved this problem by just including a digitizer with the Y2P but that would have been perfect and nothing is perfect - they always leave that one thing you really want out.

Options

1459 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2005 Signins

20083 Page Views

• Views: 20083
  • Message 2 of 23

Re: Is having an active digitizer really worth it?

2013-12-17, 8:04 AM
A digitizer display is sensitive to pressure as well I believe. Which makes it suitable for accurate work.

Get the ThinkPad Yoga, no doubt. It's a very good machine. It is Full HD yes, maybe worse than QHD, but honestly you will not notice the difference. It will still be as sharp and as clear as on the Yoga 2 Pro.

And you never know when you will use a pen. Using a pen can make you work more accurately with the touchscreen in certain occasions.

All I can say is get the ThinkPad Yoga, see for yourself if you use the digitizer pen. You will never know if you haven't tried it. But the ThinkPad Yoga is a machine worth buying.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 3 of 23

2013-12-17, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback:

Thinkpad Yoga screen does not look as good as the Y2P screen even if you set Y2P at 1920 x 1080.  This is because the Y2P simply has more pixels to work with.  Small fonts on the Thinkpad will still appear fuzzy while they are crystal clear on the Y2P even at 1920 x 1080.

The one thing I obsess more about than a pen is clean fonts.  Hate fuzzy fonts.

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Views: 687
  • Message 4 of 23

2013-12-17, 17:09 PM
I require an active digitizer for work (I am, as you mentioned a physician) and in 2011 I purchased an x220t because of exactly that and because it was "thin and light" in that time. Well the thing was so heavy and the battery never got what it claimed and overall I ended up leaving it on my desk, and carrying a notebook and then adding all the EMR notes in during my breaks.

When the x220t started giving me serious problems repeatedly, Lenovo offered me an x230 (this is this November mind you) and I basically told them no way. I asked for and got the Yoga 2 Pro (thanks Lenovo!) and honesty couldn't be happier. I know it doesn't have the active digitizer and for that reason I can't use it for work, and all common sense should tell me to call them up and replace it with a ThinkYoga, but the screen is just too nice...I'm like you and I wouldn't be able to go from 3200 to 1920.

So instead I've supplanted it, I was going to buy the Dell Venue 8 Pro before my computer swap anyways and with the active digitizer and full x86 windows I can carry that during work and then it auto syncs between my yoga for when I'm at my desk. When I'm home, I put my Y2P in tablet mode and use all the metro apps and "play".

It's nice to finally have a system that works 100% and while yes I have two devices, and carrying a y2p isn't heavy, it is cumbersome to try and write on something this big while standing or doing anything other than sitting on a desk. Using an 8inch for that task has made life much easier, and I still have a haswell i7 with a huge ssd for when I want to watch 4k (it looks AMAZING on our screens)
Options

41 Posts

10-21-2013

United States

126 Signins

679 Page Views

• Views: 679
  • Message 5 of 23

2013-12-17, 18:15 PM

I went through a similar dilemma when deciding between buying the Y2P or waiting for the Thinkpad Yoga.

I'm an architect and having an active digitizer would be very helpful when walking the contruction site and doing field reports to be able to mark-up architectural drawings.  For that, I do not need all the bells and whistles of an active digitizer with pressure sensitivity et al.  All I needed was a convertible with a touch screen that is light with a crisp screen.  The Y2P ticked all of my must-have boxes.

Would it have been a little nicer to have that active digitizer that docks nicely into the laptop's chassis?  Sure.  But for my specific purposes, I didn't really need more than what something like this offers.  Now, if my only option was a big, fat "finger replacement" stylus like most of the cheapy ones you see on Amazon, then yeah I would have probably thought twice and ultimately waited for the Thinkpad.  But the Adonit offers me a nice solution to the "problem" without forcing me to give up all of the niceties of the Y2P such as resolution, slightly larger screen size, and lighter weight.

Plus the Y2P looks nicer than the Thinkpad, as shallow as that is. :smileyhappy:  I hate that diagonal "Thinkad" logo on an otherwise

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 6 of 23

2013-12-17, 18:17 PM
Just a heads up, while the jot works great those little disks are NOTORIOUS for scratching screens. Make sure you get a screen protector of some sort before you start doodling and taking notes etc.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2013-12-18, 0:05 AM

@ vlangs,

Great minds think alike.  That is also my potential plan, to just get a Venue 8 Pro and digitizer for the times I need to write notes and just sync OneNote witth my Y2P.  The Y2P is too big to really be carrying around anyway.  But it is just so hard to give up this amazing screen.  Even native 1920 x 1080 screens look like crap to me now.

Wish I had had the discipline to drive the local MS Store early the other day when they had the Venue 8 Pro on sale for only $99.  Lol, too lazy to get there early and wait in a potential line.  Still will probably be able to pick one up for $199 or so after Christmas.

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 8 of 23

2013-12-18, 0:31 AM

Wow 100$ is an amazing deal! I paid 300$ for my 64gb WITH stylus on amazon (the price on amazon fluctuates and the accessories included does too...now it's 320$ with cover) and I'm very happy with the purchase.

I think the biggest laptop that I could reasonable use like that would be a surface pro, 10inches is about as big as it can get and still be completely usable to write with.

I'd have bought that, but I was already in the thinkpad ecosystem and Lenovo was offering it to me in exchange...not something I could say no too!

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 9 of 23

2013-12-18, 0:41 AM

@ vlangs,

That's the problem with the "one-size-fits-all" hybrid.  Something like the Surface Pro at 10.6" is great for portability but doesn't really have the screen real estate to be a laptop replacement.  Meanwhile the Y2P at 13.3 is great as a laptop replacement but a little big for walking around with, and of course, no pen.

Perhaps the perfect size is 11.6".  I have always thought that if the Surface Pro had been 11.6" it would have been a runaway bestseller.

Options

87 Posts

09-23-2011

Albany, NY

85 Signins

687 Page Views

• Message 10 of 23

2013-12-18, 0:46 AM
Well seems like Microsoft is having trouble keeping them on the shelves, reports indicate that every single surface 2 and surface 2 pro in the US is sold out and won't be restocked till January.

This makes me happy because people are afraid to take a chance on metro, but when you start using it in your day to day life you start to realize just how good it is at everything. Even for desktops, you don't have to use the metro apps when you're at a desk...but they're there...so you could. Only techies would complain about having too many features.

I'm personally hoping Microsoft expands their hardware sales, they make stuff on par with lenovo apple and Sony and it'd be great to see some surface "table" like desktops a LA that crazy ideacenter one with truly premium build and specs.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms