Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-30-2015

USA

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 6

Issues with Yoga 2 11

2015-04-30, 23:33 PM

I have a problem with my Yoga 2 11. It sporadically (and apparently randomly) powers off. This happens on battery and when connected to the power brick. When this first happened, I spent half an hour trying to power on, but nothing, it would come on for 5 minutes, then power of, then 2 minutes, then power off, then 30 minutes, then power off. It was random. I left it to sit, and after 15 minutes, it powered on, I ran the diagnostics, everything checked fine: ram, cpu, hd (I have a Samsun 840 SSD). I updated firmware on both SSD and Yoga. And it seemed like the problem went away. It's been 4 days, and the problem is back. My wife opens the laptop, starts typing an email, and the computer powers off. After about 15 minutes, its running again now. This is really becoming a problem. this is my wife's main computer. It's less than a year old. COuld this be the power switch or damaged ram? Just as I am typing, the computer sitting next to me powered off (after being on for about 5-10 minutes).

What is the process for repairing it? It's still under warranty? Is there a place where I can take it? I really don't want to lose my files and HD. That's way more importan that the laptop, but I would really not prefer to lose the laptop after less than a year.

Options

82 Posts

04-30-2015

London

40 Signins

947 Page Views

• Views: 947
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Issues with Yoga 2 11

2015-05-01, 0:26 AM

Well just to be clear your CPU is intergrated. It does have a stick of ram, but the error you are describing can fall anywhere between the motherboard or memory. Have you got any blue screens while trying to boot? I know the Yoga 2-11 has no legacy settings but USB boot is enabled.

So you can download: http://www.memtest.org/  

Put this on a bootable USB and press your OKR button then go to "boot menu" and boot to the USB that contains Memtest86+. Only run 2-3 cycles wich can take up to an hour. 

If passed that leaves you with the assumption you have a faulty motherboard - in that case i'd contact Lenovo directly via customer care, and send it into a Lenovo Repair Depot so that we can fix it in a timly manner. 

Cheers - and welcome to the forum, if you have any further question dont be shy to ask ! 

i5 - 3450 3.4 GHz / 2TB HDD / 32GB MEMORY / GTX 750Ti GPU
Options

4 Posts

04-30-2015

USA

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2015-05-01, 1:00 AM

I did run the diagnositics that come with Lenovo Solution Center 2.8.004 in "comprehensive" mode. It spent a good deal on them, and found no errors. I first it was ram too, since that's the only thing that seemed likely. But once in a while it does power on. Just to make sure it wasn't my battery, I opened it up, and disconnected it. Even with it disconnected (but plugged in): same issue, wouldn't power on, or would power on, show lenovo logo and power back down. I decided to disconnect the little board that has the power buttons. I disconnected them, pressed the power on direclty. Laptop powered on, no power down. Seemed to be working. I carefully put it back in. And the Yoga is working for the last 30 minutes. Coincidence? I mean, I can't tell, because from the last time it happened, it was 3-4 days ago, it worked fine. But if it was ram/cpu, I'd think it would be more consistent? Don't you think? Is it possible something could be wrong with the little power button board that connects to the main motherboard? Does it have capacitors there or something that could malfunction? Is there a replacement part (if you know)  that I can order the replaces the tiny power button board?

Right now, it seems to power on fine and not shutting down, but if it starts again... with the uniboard design, there is not much I can do :(

I will try to run memtest, just to make sure.

Options

82 Posts

04-30-2015

London

40 Signins

947 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-05-01, 1:12 AM

The power button wouldn't be the issue, well of I mean it could be, but most likely isn't. I've fixed over a 1000 Yoga 2-11's and can tell you that's its 99.9% chance that your motherboard is failing. BUT in saying that, try to re-image - "OKR" - restore system to factory settings. If the problems continues please contact Lenovo support and have your unit sent in for extended testing to see if theres more things wrong with the hardware. We will fix it in a timely manner, and have make sure before sending it out that it's 100% fully functional. But in these cases it can be a number of things, it could be that your computer crashes because it's simply over-heating or it could be because the motherboar is failing. Now before you do that go your "File Explorer", and go to your Computer, then "OS" then go to the folder "windows" and try to find a folder called "Minidump" if you do have a Minidump folder use this Microsoft guid to read the Minidump file: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263#method4 and it'll help you narrow down what's failing on your computer OR what has failed on your computer.  

Options

4 Posts

04-30-2015

USA

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-05-01, 21:49 PM

I would get my pc back though, not a refurbished replacement? I don't mind, I just worry about the data on my hd or my hd getting lost. I would like my own hard disk back. The rest of the pc I don't really care about :) Is that how it works?

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciated your insights and experience.

Victor

Options

82 Posts

04-30-2015

London

40 Signins

947 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2015-05-02, 0:53 AM

Yes you'd get your computer back, Lenovo will ask you to send your password (if you have one) or create a Admin account so that a Lenovo Technician can do extended tests on it since we can't do it with a guest account. You won't lose any data ASLONG as your HDD has no errors have been found with it. They'll only replaced what's defective, and make sure it works 100% before sending it back to you. If you're that scared of losing data you can always send your computer in w/o the HDD though it helps us if you do send it in seeing as we have to see what could be affecting your computer, cause it could be virus' etc. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)