Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gls2814
Paper Tape
Views: 1,008
Message 1 of 4

JUST bought a Lenovo 920 and it's running hot on setup

haven't had a new laptop in a long long time so maybe I'm sensitive to it, but it's running quite hot and I literally just took it out of the box 15 minutes ago. Could this just be due to the computer starting up for the very first time? It is also charging too.

Is this normal or should I take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy?

I have been using it for about 90 minutes now (continuously) and the fan keeps coming on. Is this normal?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 990
Message 2 of 4

Re: JUST bought a Lenovo 920 and it's running hot on setup

Most likely normal. There's a lot of stuff happening with a new laptop.. windows is updating, McAfee is updating and scanning.. it's gonna get pretty warm. I'd recommend a full charge and then do setup on the battery. On the 910 and 920, charging while the thing is maxing out resources adds a lot of heat. That bothers me, a little. I rarely use my 920 plugged in. If I do, it sits on a laptop cooler. Ditto my 910. 

Once it settles down, use Lenovo Vantage to update the BIOS and all the drivers that need it. Oh, and DO follow Windows' suggestion to make a bootable recovery drive and a system image right off the bat. So many people don't do that.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
gls2814
Paper Tape
Views: 976
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, I did everything you mentioned...except the part about the rebootable recovery drive. How do I do that?

I've been using it for about 3 hours now (can't believe I own such a beautiful, useful machine) and the fan hasn't come on nearly as much. Thanks!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 956
Message 4 of 4

@gls2814 wrote:

Thanks, I did everything you mentioned...except the part about the rebootable recovery drive. How do I do that?

Here's a pretty good step-by-step article.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors