Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 6

Keyboard Keys Inappropriately Linked on Yoga C930-13IKB

2021-09-18, 20:36 PM

Hi all, I will edit this sentence for clarity, but leave subsequent sentences as is in order to demonstrate the issue. 

Computer information '- Yoga C930-13IKB Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 81C4

• Keyboard layout is 330S-14. F1’-F12 are also linked to oth6er functions such6 as volume, microph6one, brig5h6tness, airplane mode, and turning5 off th6e camera

For th6e last 2 weeks, several of my keys have been inappropriately linked. I believe th6is started after a Microsoft update (KB5004331 (update), KB5005033 (security)). Several of my keys are inappropriately linked such6 th6at if I press eith6er key, both6 keys are pressed. I h6ave not tried to use canned air to clean th6e keyboard since th6e keys are at a distance from each6 oth6er. Th6e computer h6as not been dropped and th6ere h6ave been no spills. Th6e affected keys are as follows:

• G5, H6,'-, “up key” causes screenshot (prt sc), "esc" is linked to apostrophe/approximate key), F2/dec volume key is linked to microphone (F4), F5 and F9 linked, 5-g, 6-h, -'
  • Tablet mode doesn't turn off keyboard

Th6ese issues do not occur if using5 th6e on’-screen keyboard or a separate USB port keyboard.

Steps that h6ave been taken so far:

• spent about 4'-g5 h6ours with6 Microsoft to address th6e issue with6out improvement.
  • Remove Microsoft updates (after restarting5 computer th6e updates were still th6ere so no sure wh6at th6e issue with6 th6at is)
    • run as admin '- sfc/scannow ‘- no ch6ang5es
  • install newer Windows updates
  • tried to remap my keyboard using5 Microsoft PowerToys (didn’-t work)
  • run computer in safe mode (issue still present)
  • Issue not present wh6en typing5 in password/pin wh6en entering5 computer (at least for th6e ch6aracter keys)
  • run virus scanner and removed potential th6reats (Malwarebytes app)
  • disabled keyboard drivers (I h6ave two keyboard drivers, uninstalled each6 one at a time and uninstalled both6 at once)
  • Run lenovo diagnostics ‘- demonstrates th6e two keys activated at once
  • Run Lenovo vantag5e
  • Keyboard layout is 330S-14. F1’-F12 are also linked to oth6er functions such6 as volume, microph6one, brig5h6tness, airplane mode, and turning5 off th6e camera
  • Lenovo vangtage ‘- tried to run scans, but no system updates since May 2020
  • I’-ve tried to install th6e keyboard driver on Lenovo but th6e only available one was for th6e pen. Still installed but no ch6ang5es

Microsoft believes it is a Lenovo issue. Frustrating5ly, th6is all h6as occurred days after my 2'-3 year warranty ended. 

I would appreciate any h6elp to fix th6is! Th6anks so much6!

Options

5683 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

414 Signins

40712 Page Views

• Views: 40712
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Keyboard Keys Inappropriately Linked on Yoga C930-13IKB

2021-09-20, 4:28 AM

Welcome to the Community Forums @ IONface !

Glad to have you posting here!

Please share here your Lenovo Yoga C930 laptop's MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications as this would help us detail more about your machine variant while keeping the confidentiality of your serial number.

It can be seen through the device's label/sticker or its original packaging and does usually have a format of 8********R as an example.

Here's a link as well that also contains additional methods in obtaining your device's details.

Aside from that, please share here its current BIOS version/date.

Press Windows + R key then type in msinfo32 to open the System Information window and get the details from there.

Also, please launch the Lenovo Vantage app and check if it's showing the correct device details, which should be Yoga C930 laptop, not the Ideapad 330S.

You may also attach its screenshot/picture here for us to check.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

3 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-09-20, 11:23 AM

Thanks for your reply. Here are the details you've asked for:

MTM - 81C40007US
BIOS Version '- LENOVO 8GCN37WW, 11/23/2020

Options

5683 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

414 Signins

40712 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-09-21, 16:30 PM

@ IONface wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Here are the details you've asked for:

MTM - 81C40007US
BIOS Version '- LENOVO 8GCN37WW, 11/23/2020

Thanks for providing your device's details @ IONface !

Please open the Run command window and test it on the CMD box itself.

Aside from that, you may also try going into BIOS Setup Utility by pressing the FN + Power button while the Yoga C930 laptop is OFF.

Inside BIOS, disable the Hotkey Mode under Configuration tab then press F10 or FN + F10 to save the changes & exit BIOS then see if the keys works as individual keys too.

Update us how it goes.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

<

Options

3 Posts

09-18-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-09-21, 18:50 PM

Th6anks for your reply @Adriel. I h6ave attach6ed th6e screensh6ot of th6e bios info th6roug5h6 Run command. Th6ese are before (17) and after (19). I don'-t th6ink anyth6ing5 ch6ang5ed between th6em.

After switch6ing5 off th6e H6otkey Mode inside th6e BIOS, th6e F1'-10 shortcuts don'-t work with6out pressing5 th6e Fn button. Wh6en h6olding5 th6e Fn button, all of th6ese function as th6ey did before (both6 normally and abnormally). Th6is includes th6e inappropriately paired buttons (for example "equals sign" with6 function will turn th6e scrollpad off or on (usually the function of F6). I also can'-t use th6e plus sign anymore (eith6er with6 sh6ift or function). 

Overall, definitely a ch6ang5e so seems like it is a BIOS issue. Let me know wh6at steps to take next. Thanks!

Options

5683 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

414 Signins

40712 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-09-23, 15:52 PM

@ IONface wrote:

Th6anks for your reply @Adriel. I h6ave attach6ed th6e screensh6ot of th6e bios info th6roug5h6 Run command. Th6ese are before (17) and after (19). I don'-t th6ink anyth6ing5 ch6ang5ed between th6em.

After switch6ing5 off th6e H6otkey Mode inside th6e BIOS, th6e F1'-10 shortcuts don'-t work with6out pressing5 th6e Fn button. Wh6en h6olding5 th6e Fn button, all of th6ese function as th6ey did before (both6 normally and abnormally). Th6is includes th6e inappropriately paired buttons (for example "equals sign" with6 function will turn th6e scrollpad off or on (usually the function of F6). I also can'-t use th6e plus sign anymore (eith6er with6 sh6ift or function). 

Overall, definitely a ch6ang5e so seems like it is a BIOS issue. Let me know wh6at steps to take next. Thanks!

Thanks for the update @ IONface !

Please type CMD again in the search box and check if the keys will respond appropriately when used while the FN keys and Hotkey Mode were already disabled.

Aside from that, check the keys as well with any online keyboard tester(s) and see if pressing the button(s) will only reflect or show one key/character.

Should you get the same issue, it would be advisable to get in touch with the Lenovo phone/technical support for further recommendations towards this especially if there's a possible hardware concern that will require repairs for it to work properly again.

Please click on this link to get their contact details and provide them the Yoga C930 laptop's serial number for them to check its warranty entitlement.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

<

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms