Did you mean: 
Highlighted
reece311
Paper Tape
Views: 1,301
Message 1 of 3

Keyboard issues after upgrading to Windows 10

Hello,

I am having issues with my keyboard coincidentally after I had updated to windows 10. Right now my "6" key does not work and when I press the "5" key it just does the following "5666666666666666" and keeps repeating 6's forever. Also if I press the bottom left "ctrl" button it does the same exact thing as the number five key when pressed. I have ran windows troubleshooter, made sure my driver's were up to date and cannot fix the issue. Right now I am having to use an external keyboard to type this message. I am wondering if I am potentially looking at the keys being messed up or is it a windows 10 issue. Cause it works fine when typing with the on-screen keyboard and with an external keyboard. I messaged microsoft and they told me the following:

Method 1:
Try changing the Keyboard Layout to English (United States) type language in the search bar and try changing the keyboard layout and check if the issue persists. This is to check if this is caused due to Keyboard Layout related issues.
Method 2:
Try installing the Keyboard drivers in compatibility mode and check if the issue persists. This is to check if this is caused due to any compatibility issues.
Now, to install in Compatibility Mode, follow these steps:

a. Locate the executable file (.exe file) for the driver installation program.
b. Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
c. In the Package Name Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab.
d. Click to select the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box, click Windows 8 with which it is compatible with in the Run this program in compatibility mode for list, and then click OK.
e. Double-click the executable file to start the installation program.

problem is i do not know how to do the second method

Any suggestions would be awesome

thank you
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,278
Message 2 of 3

Re: Keyboard issues after upgrading to Windows 10

Hello,

There is usually no driver associated with a built-in keyboard. It sounds like something is off with the hardware.

It's rather unlikely that the actual update to Windows 10 would cause this. It is possible that the connection between the "5" and "6" keys are shorted, and the computer stops typing "6" after a few times.

If you have a toothpick handy, run it around the sides of the 5 and 6 keys while the machine is powered off. It may clear any gunk holding the 6 key down.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
EDwin33
What's DOS?
Views: 513
Message 3 of 3

Re: Keyboard issues after upgrading to Windows 10

I have exactly the same issue did this solution actually work?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors