Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcr34
Paper Tape
Views: 1,902
Message 1 of 9

Keyboard keys T, Y, backspace, shift and tab not working on Yoga 900

Good afternoon. We have a Yoga 900 and have problems with the keyboard keys T, Y, backspace, shift and tab not working. We have tried updating the keyboard driver, Windows Update, using the onscreen keyboard, and rebooting the computer - all with the same results. Does anyone have any solutions on fixing this, please? Thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,894
Message 2 of 9

Re: Keyboard keys T, Y, backspace, shift and tab not working on Yoga 900

So, T, Y Backspace and Tab don't work on the onscreen keyboard, either?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
mcr34
Paper Tape
Views: 1,888
Message 3 of 9

Yes, Doctordon. That is correct. The keys do not work on the onscreen keyboard as well. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,873
Message 4 of 9

I am curious, does the problem occur if you boot into safe mode or login using a different user account?     

If it works in Safe Mode using your normal user account, it could be some software running at startup, so try disabling startup programs and see if that fixes the problem

If it works fine under another user account, then it points to a corrupt user profile, which is a bit of pain to fix, but generally means creating a new user, and them moving your existing data from (C:\Users\<current username>, to the new user C:\Users\<new username>

If I were to guess I would say it was a corrupt user profile, so try creating a new Local user account. 

I would recommend that you create a Local User Account (your user profile is stored on your PC) and not a online Microsoft Account (your user profile is stored in the cloud),  and it might be a good idea to switch your current User Microsoft Account to a Local User Account before doing anything. 

Best of luck,

mcr34
Paper Tape
Views: 1,862
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the response, JDGillis. We will try those and see if they work. It’s my daughters computer and she is currently studying abroad so it may be tomorrow before I respond given the 6 hour time difference. I’ll let you know what she finds. I appreciate your help. 

mcr34
Paper Tape
Views: 1,835
Message 6 of 9

She tried booting in safe mode and also creating another user account and the keyboard keys listed do not work there either. Any other ideas as to the problem? Thanks for your help. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,815
Message 7 of 9

The fact it happens with the onscreen keyboard is what's baffling. Probably won't make a difference, but has she tried an external keyboard?

Is the physical keyboard shutting off when in tablet mode? Dirt or damage to the physical keyboard can confuse the onscreen keyboard if both are on simultaneously. 

Does it happen with the Yoga in airplane mode with nothing plugged into any port?

Is it possible the language settings are wrong?

Just spitballing, here.

mcr34
Paper Tape
Views: 1,790
Message 8 of 9

Hi Doctordon,

Being overseas, she doesn't have access to another keyboard but did the other items you suggested. The keys still don't work in tablet mode, airplane mode and her language settings are okay. I did have her check the keys for any dirt or debris when she mentioned the first signs and there doesn't appear to be any obstructions. We are at a loss as to what would cause it and appreciate all the help.

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,783
Message 9 of 9

If the physical keyboard shuts all the way off in tablet mode, then I'm at a loss beyond it being a Windows issue. If the physical keyboard still works in tablet mode, then it's debris or the ribbon cable isn't seated properly. I'm sorry I can't think of anything else. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors