Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-02-2021

Australia

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Laptop Dying Unusually?

2021-06-02, 9:32 AM

Hi!

I'm currently a student who uses my laptop daily as it is a requirement for me to participate in online work. Since last year, I had noticed I would end up having to decrease my brightness and edit my settings due to my power getting more and more worse over time, especially after only an hour of getting onto it!

I got used to it over time since It didn't bother me as much but lately as of this year since going back to school, I noticed that my laptop would easily die at a good 50% or more even after 20 minutes of usage. 

I tend to use my laptop daily and I read somewhere that it'd said that laptop batteries may worsen due to overuse or something else, would this be the problem and will I have to replace my battery at a repair shop? I need to know simply because I get told off frequently for my laptop dying so often.

Options

2567 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

275 Signins

12976 Page Views

• Views: 12976
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Laptop Dying Unusually?

2021-06-02, 10:24 AM

Hi reiicyy,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Every battery has a lifespan in charge cycles, depending on various factors, but usually it is between 300-500 complete charging cycle (from 0% to 100%, so if you charge it from 30% to 80%, it will count half a cycle on battery). So they degrade over time.

What you can do is check Design capacity vs Full Charge capacity (New devices have everything from 1500-3000Kwh difference here which is seen a normal).  If the difference between the two is extreme in comparison to the norm, and your cycle count is high, between 300 & 500. Then you can conclude you have a old battery that is in need of replacement. 

Step 1. Generate a Battery Report to check Capacity and Cycle Count.
- Follow the steps below in order to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10:
- Right-click the Windows Icon in the bottom left corner and select "Search"
- Type "cmd" into the search bar, right click the program showing up and select "Run as Administrator"
-----
- Copy and paste "powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html" into the command prompt window. Without the quotations.
- Using Explorer navigate to C:\ aka the root directory. You should see a file labeled battery_report.html. 
Check here on how to read it

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Views: 26137
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Laptop Dying Unusually?

2021-06-11, 17:49 PM

@ reiicyy wrote:

Hi!

I' currently a student who uses my laptop daily as it is a requirement for me to participate in online work. Since last year, I had noticed I would end up having to decrease my brightness and edit my settings due to my power getting more and more worse over time, especially after only an hour of getting onto it!

I got used to it over time since It didn' bother me as much but lately as of this year since going back to school, I noticed that my laptop would easily die at a good 50% or more even after 20 minutes of usage. 

I tend to use my laptop daily and I read somewhere that it' said that laptop batteries may worsen due to overuse or something else, would this be the problem and will I have to replace my battery at a repair shop? I need to know simply because I get told off frequently for my laptop dying so often.

Hello @ reiicyy!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

What type of Lenovo laptop are you using as well?

Please share here its MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications?

It's located through the device's label/sticker or its original packaging and does usually have a format of 8********R as an example.

And does the device also turns off even though it still has sufficient charge when using any apps or doing specific activities?

To add what @Voithos has mentioned here as well, battery life span also varies significantly and there are some factors that also affects its cycle.

Environment, configuration, screen brightness are just some of the factors that can be considered here.

Generating a battery report for your device will also let you know if the battery itself is still providing good performance for your device when in use.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)