Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EpicHype
Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,403
Message 1 of 15

Laptop randomly turns off

Hello,

My laptop started randomly shutting down. The laptop is pretty new it's only 1 year old. Sometimes after I turn it back on, it gives me the blue screen of death, but after I chose to restart it, it works again. It started doing it more often and I don't know what to do. When it started turning off also these letters started not responding to pressing: qweruiop. I don't know is it related and how serious it is, so I am asking for help. My laptop is Lenovo Yoga 900-13SK. Operating system Windows 10 Home.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 39,141
Message 2 of 15

Re: Laptop randomly turns off

Some things to check:

1. It's possible your Yoga is overheating and shutting down to prevent further damage. When it shuts down, is the case hotter than usual? If so, check that exhaust vents are clear. If they're blocked with dust, clean them with a vacuum cleaner or pressurized air. Also when a random shutdown occurs, let the Yoga cool down completely before starting it again. The increase in case temperature should be noticeable and quick if the unit is overheating.

2. Run Hardware Diagnostics. It's possible there is a RAM or motherboard issue.

3. Look at the system log in Windows Control Panel, Computer Management, Event Viewer, Windows Log, System. Are there any red exclamation mark errors?

Depending on how frequently the random stops occur you may not be able to do 2. and 3. In that situation you will need to contact Lenovo for service.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,136
Message 3 of 15

I'm currently running the hardware test, but I looked in the system log and I found quite a few of the red warning signs. I also found 1 "critical", which was when the system gave me the blue screen of death. In the "general" tab it wrote "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." I don't know does it help but the error red warning signs said "The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error:
The request is not supported." and "The WsAppService service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." or "The IAStorDataMgrSvc service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)." Does this mean anything or I am just looking at wrong things? Maybe the keyboard is causing the errors because ever since I connected an external keyboard, the laptop hadn't shut down ever since.

SeniorGuru
Views: 39,108
Message 4 of 15

I'm currently running the hardware test

What was the result?

Also have you checked for overheating? Free tools like Speccy report CPU, motherboard, HDD, etc. temperatures. That can provide an indication of overheating as well as help isolate the component that's causing the problem.

Maybe the keyboard is causing the errors because ever since I connected an external keyboard, the laptop hadn't shut down ever since.

I suppose it's possible a short-circuit occurs when you press keys on the keyboard. Depending on how hard you press keys the pressure could be enough to flex and thus short-circuit other components like e.g. the motherboard. Try pressing the keys as lightly as possible and see if the shutdowns still occur. You could also open up the system to check that the keyboard is positioned correctly and that all connecting cables are seated firmly in their respective sockets. 

P.S. Have you ever spilled a liquid on the keyboard? Residue from that could also cause the keyboard to short-circuit.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,097
Message 5 of 15

I'm currently running the hardware test

What was the result?

It didn't finish loading it crashed while diagnosing and second time that I tried the same thing happened.

>Also have you checked for overheating? According to Speccy my average CPU temperature is 54 Celsius, Motherboard average temperature is 28 Celsius and SSD storage average temperature is 40 degrees Celsius.

>Try pressing the keys as lightly as possible and see if the shutdowns still occur

I did. The shutdown didn't occur but when I picked the laptop up and placed it back on my desk, it instantly shut down. Maybe something inside is fractures, which is causing the laptop to turn of on the impact. Maybe the Video Card is fractured or maybe there is a lose cable.

>You could also open up the system to check that the keyboard is positioned correctly

I do not know how to do that

>Have you ever spilled a liquid on the keyboard?

No

Thank you for all of your help so far. I really appreciate the free consultation. Smiley Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 39,086
Message 6 of 15

It didn't finish loading it crashed while diagnosing and second time that I tried the same thing happened.

I presume the system was physically untouched/unmoved while the diagnostics were running. If so that would tend to rule out a crack in a chip or motherboard, etc.

my average CPU temperature is 54 Celsius, Motherboard average temperature is 28 Celsius and SSD storage average temperature is 40 degrees Celsius.

That's all quite normal. If it doesn't creep up as the system idles then heat isn't the issue.

when I picked the laptop up and placed it back on my desk, it instantly shut down

As you inferred, that suggests a mechanical issue with a crack or lose cable, etc.

I do not know how to do that

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga_900-13isk_hmm_201509.pdf

From this it looks like the keyboard is integrated with the upper case assembly so unlike ThinkPads, it can't be replaced individually. Opening up the system will nevertheless give you a chance to do a visual inspection, reseat cables, etc.

If that doesn't yield results then I'm running out of ideas.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 39,081
Message 7 of 15

The link only sends me to the manual I don't know which page shows how to get into the system, and do I remove the keyboard to check it, or do I unscrew the bottom? If I open up my computer, it will terminate my warranty. Is it really that important?

SeniorGuru
Views: 39,075
Message 8 of 15

You said in the first post, "The laptop is pretty new it's only 1 year old." If it's a year old then it's probably out of warranty. If you have a longer warranty then I'd suggest you contact Lenovo about getting this Yoga serviced under warranty. Be sure to mention all the symptoms and tests you've run so far.

I don't know which page shows how to get into the system, and do I remove the keyboard to check it, or do I unscrew the bottom?

The procedure for opening up the system starts on page 30. From what I can see, the keyboard isn't removable. But if you open up the bottom cover and remove the battery pack it may expose enough of the innards to check for loose cables, etc.

If I open up my computer, it will terminate my warranty.

If you follow the procedure in the HMM and are careful not to break anything then no, it won't affect your warranty.

What's DOS?
Views: 27,671
Message 9 of 15

Re: Laptop turns off when moved

Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 900-13isk, it is three years old. I am running win 10. All of a sudden it started randomly shutting down completely. It didn't matter if it was plugged in or running on battery. I loaded a clean copy of win 10, and all the current updates. I manually updated every driver. I do not get any blue screens or errors, it just instantly shuts off. Still the problem persisted. Then I noticed it was only happening when I moved it. 

I looked at several youtube videos to disassemble it and look for a loose connection. I downloaded the hardware manual. After two trips to the hardware store to get the right size torx (it's T5, not T6 where it is indicated everywhere on line!) I removed the back cover. I did a quick scan without removing any parts and nothing is obviously loose. I am not sure what connections I am supposed to focus on. I did some googling but would appreciate some specific advise about what to look for before taking it all apart. I have limited skills, replacing some FRU's in the past but would appreciate what ever details (plus schematics) someone could provide with regard to finding the loose part. Or maybe it is some entirely different problem???

Thank you.

Mrburnns
Paper Tape
Views: 13,581
Message 10 of 15

Any news on this topic? Happens to my lenovo 900 as well. I took it apart to make sure all the cables were tightly fitted and they are but it still shuts down with movement of the laptop or even hard tapping near the sides of the track pad. Its not a normal shutdown as it looses all power to laptop whether plugged in or not. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors