Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maddyk
What's DOS?
Views: 220
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo 2 11" lots of issues

I've had my laptop about two years now and I haven't had any problems with it until now. I'm able to turn it on and log into my windows account, but from there nothing works. When I get to the desktop screen, the cursor is visible and controllable, but it won't open anything. When I hover over a program, like google chrome, the cursor doesn't even change to the pointer icon, meaning nothing is even clickable. Additionally, the touchscreen isn't working, as well as the keyboard. I can't access the start screen, and even Ctrl+alt+delete won't work. I've tried forcing a shutdown and then restarting it several times, but it still renders the same results. Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this? I'm getting very frustrated. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 201
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo 2 11" lots of issues

It could be several things, a corrupt user profile, disk errors/corrupt system files, or possibly a virus.  

What I would recommend are the following steps

• Boot into Windows Recovery Console
  • Activate the hidden Administrator account
  • Check the harddrive for errors and repair any found using Window's chkdsk utility
  • Run Window's System File Check utility to check for corrupt Windows System Files
  • Run System Restore to restore to previously saved automatic or manually created Restore Point
  • Boot to Save Mode with Networking and run a full virus scan.

Note:   Although I am going to describe running a bunch of repair steps in a row, you can stop after any repair step, reboot to Windows and check to see if the problem is resolved, and if not reboot back to recovery again and continue on.

Boot into Window's Recovery Console

• Rather than logging into Windows, hold the shift button down and then click the Power Icon (see icon below)
  • Next, with Shift still depressed, select Restart    Keep holding shift down until the screen goes black.

Windows will now restart and load the Windows Recovery Options screen

• On the Options screen, select Troubleshoot
  • On the Troubleshoot screen you will be presented three options Refresh, Reset and Advanced Options.    For now, select Advanced Options

Advanced Options 

Refreshing will save your personal files and programs installed from the Windows Store, but other applications will be lost such as games and word processors etc., so avoid using this except as a last resort

Resetting will reset your laptop to its original state when new, which will erase all your data and installed apps, so I would only use that if desperate.

Advanced Options

• System Restore
    • Restores you PC to a previously saved restore point (automatically or manually created)
  • System Image Recovery
    • This will only work if you had previously saved a System Image to a back drive or memory stick
  • Automatic Repair
    • Useful for correcting problems with starting windows, but not much use in situations like yours
  • Command Prompt
    • Useful in running command line utilities such as checkdisk etc.
  • Startup Settings
    • Allows you to start windows in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (more useful as it allows Internet access if directly connected via Ethernet cable)    Note:WiFi seldom works in safe mode with Networking as typically the drivers needed for the Wi-Fi card to work are not loaded Safe-Mode

• The option you want to select for now is Command Prompt which will allow you to run a few utilities to check the integrity of the Hard Drive, System Files and to enable the hidden Administrator account.

Enable the hidden Administrator Account  

Note:  This will give you a second User logon to use in case your current user profile is corrupted, and can be later disabled once repairs are completed by right clicking on the start button, selecting "Command Prompt (Admin) and then typing net user administrator /active:no 

• Follow the steps above to boot into Recovery / Advanced Options and then select Command Prompt
  • From the  X:\Windows\System32>command prompt, type:   net user administrator /active:yes   and then press Enter

You should get the response:  "The command completed successfully"  and be returned to the command prompt.

Run Check Disk

• From the same command prompt window, type:   chkdsk c: /f  and press Enter.    

Note: This will check the hard drive for errors and repair any minor errors automatically.    This can take from a few minutes to an hour to go through all 3 stages depending on the speed of the system, and the number of issues to repair.     If the chkdsk c: /f  scan cannot repair all errors, you could run it again using the command:  chkdsk c: /r   to check for, and try to repair, bad areas (sectors) of the harddrive drive by moving recoverable data to known good sectors, but I would not recommend that until you have first backed up all your important data, as bad sectors often indicate a failing harddrive, and the intense read/write operations of the /R switch can sometimes cause the drive to fail further.

If the chkdsk c: /f scan found no errors, then disk errors were likely not your issue, but if if found significant number of errors and was able to repair all that it found, then it could have been the problem, so you could opt to exit the Recovery console and try a reboot and see if you can login and use window normally, or continue on try to repair any corrupt system files using Window's built in System File Check utility, or use System Restore to restore your System to a a previously saved Restore Point created prior to when you started having issues.  

Running a System File Check

• From the same command prompt, type the command below and press enter

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\system32

This will take a while, perhaps up to an hour depending on the system, and may appear to hang sometimes, but just let it run until it completes.   It hopefully will return one of the two results below, but if not let me know.

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"(If you get this message, then system file corruption was likely not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.   Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"(If you get this message, then your problem may have been resolved)

Running System 'Restore

System Restore is a tool to restore Windows Operating System files and Registry settings to those saved in a previously saved Restore Point.     Running a System Restore will not delete any of your user data, but because it restore the Windows Registry values, any applications installed after the date that the Restore Point was created, will have to be reinstalled to work properly. 

• Type exit in the command prompt window to return to the Advanced Options menu
  • Select System Restore from the Advanced Options Menu and follow the prompts on screen to select the most recent restore point available prior to your problem.    Once the Restore process is complete, you hopefully will be able to log into Windows.

Booting into Safe Mode with Networking and running a virus scan.

• Boot into Recovery Mode/Troubleshooting/Advanced Options as before
  • From the Advanced Options Menu, select Windows Startup Settings, Select Safe Mode With Networking, and then follow the prompts to boot up in Safe Mode.

If you do not have a working Virus Scanner already, or just want a second opinion, I would recommend Malwarebytes AntiMalware's free manual scanner   It will prompt you during installation to start a trial version of their full (paid) version, but to just run manual scans, that is not necessary right now.    Once installed, and before scanning, click on Settings (the gear on top) and then under the Detection and Protection section, check the box "Scan for Rootkits"

Good Luck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors