US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo System Recovery Not Finishing

2020-08-17, 21:24 PM

Hello, 

My Lenovo Yoga 920-13IKB Laptop (ideapad) - Type 80Y7 (purchased in 2017) has been unable to boot up; this problem appeared out of nowhere, as I had previously had no problems with my laptop and - I think - was taking pretty good care of it. It gets stuck on a black screen when powered on, and then an error message appears telling me to insert a recovery device. 

I created a USB drive with the Lenovo recovery digital download service, and have been using that to try and fix my laptop. The recovery device seems to work at first - the splash screen loads, and then it loads the product recovery screen. It appears to go through all the steps of the system recovery page, but then once the process bar gets almost to the end, it seems to get stuck there for hours. I'm assuming that it is getting stuck on the last step, which the product recovery page has listed as "The system is being installed, which may take a few hours, please be patient"; I let it run for 18 hours straight and it never finished. I'm on my third try; every time it gets all the way to the end, and then seems to be unable to move forward. The screen, however, doesn't freeze; I can still move the cursor around, and the loading animation still appears. I've attached a picture of where it's getting stuck.

Does anyone know what might be going on, and what I can do to solve the problem? The recovery process seems to be working except for that last step, and I don't know what could be going wrong. Do y'all think I should somehow try and install Windows 10 on its own separate from the recovery device (i.e. install it through a USB somehow)? Should I try replacing the hard drive and then trying the recovery process again? My family and I are just at a loss, and I wanted to ask for advice before we spent a bunch of money on stuff that isn't gonna actually solve the problem, haha.

I need this laptop to do my online college classes starting next week, and there's no way I can afford to get a new one (especially because my laptop is nowhere near old enough to be having problems like this), so I'm starting to really panic about this :(

Options

11579 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7035 Signins

740144 Page Views

• Views: 740144
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Lenovo System Recovery Not Finishing

2020-08-17, 22:58 PM

Hi audreyp287,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

At this point, we are not sure if the issue is a certain segment of the recovery media is failing or if the harddrive itself is the issue.

Running bootable diagnostics may help in this area specially if you already created a new Lenovo Recovery copy to use.

I would also help if you have a spare harddrive to use and clean install Windows then we can explore further.

Update us how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

08-17-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-08-26, 13:46 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I was finally able to replace the hard drive, but still nothing's working. We tried installing Windows 10 and even tried running the recovery program again and it's the exact same program. The BIOS isn't recognizing the hard drive at all; do you have any idea what could be causing this and/or what to do about it?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Options

11579 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7035 Signins

740144 Page Views

• Views: 740144
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-08-26, 13:53 PM

Hi audreyp287,

Greetings.

Try reloading the BIOS to default (F9) then save and exit.

Check if the drive is seen in the BIOS.

If the same, then try changing Boode mode (AHCI / RST) the save again and check if there is any difference.

See if the drives are readable in another machine or enclosure just to make sure that both new drive and original drive is ok.

If so, then it maybe best to have the machine further check specially with the SATA connections / board.

Update us how things go.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

09-17-2020

ES

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-09-17, 2:19 AM

Same problem here... not solved

Options

2 Posts

09-17-2020

ES

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-09-17, 2:28 AM

Same laptop, i have created the USB recovery two times, i havent any problem... i wanted factory reset for giving the laptop to a family... and now my yoga laptop is a brick

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete