Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greatgram
Blue Screen Again
Views: 891
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga wont boot after Windows 10 upgrade

Hello. I'm having a substandard issue with my Lenovo Yoga Laptop that I will try to explain in complete detail. First I'll summarize what's going on, then I'll list all  the details that could be related to this problem, no matter how small, in order of most likely related to least likely related. I'm an IT technician so I have some grasp of computer troubleshooting, just keep in mind.

Alright, so the issue is that my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (can't find exact model, label only days Yoga and its dated in 2013) will not boot into Windows 10 after I have done an upgrade from Windows 8.1 using Microsoft's media creation tool. More specifically, I was able to do the firat time setup and boot on once but after searching for Windows updates and restarting, the computer will not boot on. The most likely reason for this I believe is that the laptop doesn't recognize the SSD with Windows 10 on it. It can detect it in some ways but not others. In Lenovo diagnostics I'm not able to run a storage test, which is an option I know is usually there because I've troubleshooted these before, which leads me to believe it doesn't recognize it. However, boot menu and BIOS recognize the drive. Attempting to boot to it from boot menu gives a long black screen and then it takes me back to boot menu. Letting my computer boot up normally also gives a long black screen after the ThinkPad logo and the automatically goes to boot menu. The other diagnostics for Lenovo hardware all pass.

So some further details:

- I have swapped out this SSD once after I had this exact same problem with one before, thinking that drive was broken. I think its unlikely that 2 previously working drives would fail in a row. Especially since they worked for booting into Windows 8, upgrading, and then booting into Windows 10 once.

- This computer was previously used (without issue) by the company I worked for and had a custom Windows 10 image. When I acquired it I used a Sony external CD/DVD drive to image the computer back to how it came with Windows 8.1 Pro using restore disks that were provided for this computer.

- I have disconnected and reconnected cables on the motherboard to make sure they were in properly. 

- With the drive that worked before I could use it for a while but within 3 days it started having this problem, and during those 3 days it froze and blue screened frequently, possibly in response to when I was moving around the computer or the screen hinges. For this new drive this problem happened instantly. On the old one, using Lenovo diagnostics did show the storage test option and running it had failures in something along the lines of random tunnel and the test right below it.

- Before restarting on this latest drive, the only things I did was: On Windows 8.1, download Microsoft's media creation tool and upgrade to Windows 10, go through Windows 10 setup, download Chrome, Python, Libreoffice, .net framework, Java 8, Steam, Audacity, Windirstat, Notepads++, and Java Runtime SE, search for Windows updates, download the ones that were found, and then restart. 

That's a lot but I hope you can pick out the important information. I didn't know what would or wouldn't be useful so I gave you all of it. I hope you can help me find a solution.

Thanks.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 809
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga wont boot after Windows 10 upgrade

It sounds like software issue - Windows may be not loading properly or there was a problem with the installation. Can you please restore the Win8.1 and check if the issue persists? If you're able to load Win8.1, it means that upgrade wasn't completed successfuly. 

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors