Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bernardocalhana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,077
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Vantage not starting

Hi there,

Another issue with my yoga 730. I used to use Vantage a lot and now when I try to open it, it immediatly closes.

Tried reinstalling and no joy.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Best,

B.

Guru
Views: 1,071
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Vantage not starting

Have you tried the below?  Sorry if you did this already.

Uninstall Lenovo Vantage and Lenovo System Interface Foundation. After reboot install Lenovo Vantage from Microsoft store again, but not Lenovo System Interface Foundation. After opening Lenovo Vantage, there will be a link to latest Lenovo System Interface Foundation , download(should be version 1.1.16.0 or current version) and install it. 

Also to uninstall Lenovo System Interface Foundation see below

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT506070

See if that fixes your problem.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

bernardocalhana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,067
Message 3 of 9

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Already tried that, doesn't work...
poyeshidanito
What's DOS?
Views: 1,036
Message 4 of 9

ThinkPad battery charging thresholds
There are a lot of theories and information about ThinkPad charging thresholds. Some theories say thresholds are needed to keep the battery healthy, some think they are useless and the battery will work the same just as it is. In this article I will try not to settle that argument. 🙂 Instead I try to tell how and why I use them, and then proceed to show how they can be changed in different versions of Windows, should you still want to change these thresholds.

I use charging thresholds to lower the percentage when the notebook starts charging, usually to about 60%-80%. I unplug my ThinkPad from AC power for short periods, and then use it again by plugging it in. These interruptions are often short meetings that only drain the battery a little bit, but enough to trigger a charging should I plug it in again (10-20%). By using the charging thresholds, I wanted to prevent the battery from being constantly charged.

Charging all the time – in my experience – ruins the internal meter of the battery quickly, requiring battery gauge resets. So it does not really stress the battery but causes symptoms that then need curing, should you wish to use the notebook to it’s full potential.

My preferred settings
My current preferred settings are:

Start charging when the charge goes below 80%
Fully charge the notebook (stop at 100%).
The reason for choosing these settings is that 80% is still acceptable should I choose to use my notebook away from power. And it allows for a short meeting without the notebook charging back up again. But below that I want it fully charged again, so I am ready to be away from the power adapter.

Lenovo Vantage app in Windows 10
In Windows 10 you use the Lenovo Vantage app to change charging threshold. You should find Lenovo Vantage in your Start Menu. If you cannot find it, you can download it from the Windows Store. You should set your charging thresholds in Lenovo Vantage currently!

(If you still have Lenovo Settings installed, please check the last section of this article)

To get started, first you need to access the power options.

Once upon, scroll down to the Charge Threshold settings. It might take a little while for it to work properly – Lenovo Vantage seems to be loading some settings in the background.

By default, charging thresholds are turned off. Flip the switch – and again, wait for the detailed settings to appear. It can take a second or two!

When turned on, you can set both when to start charging and when to stop charging.

What if I upgraded my old Windows installation to Windows 10 and I باتری کتابی have previous thresholds set? Am I stuck?
If you install Windows 10 while you have set charging thresholds, they will still be in effect after the upgrade. You will then need to install Lenovo Vantage, and use that to manage your thresholds.

How can I reset charging thresholds?
If you want to reset your thresholds without using the registry or the app, turn off your ThinkPad and disconnect your battery for a few minutes. Then reconnect and start charging. This should reset the charging thresholds.

This is a problem with integrated batteries – for these systems disconnecting the battery using the BIOS might do the trick. I have not verified this, however.

Charging thresholds in Windows 8/8.1
On Windows 8 and 8.1 the Power Manager is not officially supported. Using some compatibility mode trickery you can make it work, but it will not be able to set the charging thresholds. Instead, you need to set them in the registry yourself. These will get written to the battery on next reboot.

For the ChargeStartControl and ChargeStopControl values set them to 1.

For the ChargeStartPercentage, specify the percentage of charge after you want charging to start. This is the value you would set to 60 if you want charging to begin when the charge goes below 60%.

For the ChargeStopPercentage set the percentage you want charging to stop at. This could be 100 if you want the battery fully charged, or something lower if you do not want to charge the battery all the way.

Set everything to 0 to restore defaults.

Changing these values with not take effect right away: you need to reboot your system, and these values are then written to the battery at reboot.

However, reinstalling / updating the Settings Dependency Package will reset these settings. You will then have to specify the values again, and then reboot again for the settings to be applied again. Not at all an ideal situation.

Charging thresholds in Windows 7
On Windows 7 you use the ThinkPad Power Manager software to set the charging thresholds.

You can set when to start charging and when to stop charging. The defaults are: start when under 96% and stop when the battery is full.

To access charging thresholds, you need to switch Power Manager into advanced mode. Then you access the charging thresholds from the battery options.

OBSOLETE: Lenovo Settings app in Windows 10
The Lenovo Settings application is replaced by Lenovo Vantage. I will leave this  مخزن آب section here for those still on older systems.

The Lenovo Settings application that you install from the Windows Store has now a fully configurable charge threshold section. If you want to use it, you will need both this program and another set of helper programs (Dependency Package or similar name). The Lenovo Settings app you can get from the Windows Store, and it should prompt you to download the other needed component when you run it for the first time.

While previously this was not fully featured (before february 2017), now you can set it up the way you like. So no more need to fiddle around the registry to have fully custom settings.

Manual setting for starting percentage
I have not verified if this is still working with the Lenovo Vantage application now available! If you have Lenovo Vantage installed, I suggest you use that to manage charging thresholds.

If you do not want to use Lenovo Settings, you can still enter the settings manually. It is similar to the registry method that I described above, but involves changing different keys. The method was first published on Lenovo Forums.

Instead of the registry key I gave above, look for a key here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\ConfKeys\Data\[batteryserial]

Here the batteryserial is the serial code for your battery. You can find it in the Lenovo Settings app, by opening the battery page and looking at Power Status. Click on the Show Details button, and in a moment it will refresh the settings and tell your the Bar-Code number of the battery. This is the key you need to look up in the registry. You can find it without it, because it is a mix of letters and numbers, and stands out from the sane sounding other keys 🙂

The four values are the same as before, and you should set them in the same way. They might be missing, in which case you need to create them. If you are missing the entire key (batteryserial), you will need to install Lenovo Settings to have it create the appropriate keys.

Just remember that if you open Lenovo Settings or update the dependency package, it will reset the settings right away. The only way to restore them is to enter them again, and reboot.

I verified this with the ThinkPad X1 Yoga, and it works. It’s a little slow because you need to reboot for the new values to take effect, but it works.

bernardocalhana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,034
Message 5 of 9

Hello!

Thanks for the reply.
I get the battery charging and all that, my problem is that Vantage is not starting...
Guru
Views: 1,022
Message 6 of 9

Sorry my first response didnt work for you.  Also just double checking.  You did BOTH steps?  You uninstalled Lenovo System Interface Foundation too?  Did you check Lenovo Vantage Knowledge Base? Do any apply to you?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/lvtkb_en

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

bernardocalhana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,016
Message 7 of 9

FOUND THE SOLITION:

Go to registry in windows, search for "vantage", delete all registry keys related to Lenovo Vantage;

Uninstall Vantage;

Reinstall.

Voila.

I guess it's an issue with the new windows update, since it's quite common.

TTLL
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 8 of 9

I am having the same issue. I have the registry editor opened, but I don't know how to search for all the registry keys related to Lenovo Vantage. Can you give me more details? 

bernardocalhana
Fanfold Paper
Views: 678
Message 9 of 9

Actually can't remember...

Try to search for "vantage". I think they'll all be related to LV.

Best,

Ben.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors