cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lgonidis
Paper Tape
Views: 5,855
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo YOGA 500 15 15ISK screen flickering.

Hello everyone,

I bought a Lenovo YOGA 500 15 15ISK  only a few days ago and today I had finally the time to unbox it and turn it on.

I have to say I was quite impressed with the design and how light the laptop is. However, my good impressions pretty much stopped there.

Upon loging in windows (laptop comes with Windows 10 preinstalled) I came across a painful screen flickering and a problematic mouse pointer movement (both with the mouse and touchpad).

When I carried out an initial google search I was shocked with the number of people that had similar problems to mine, literally thousands!

I have a good day trying to sort out the screen flickering (I have fixed the mouse pointer movement) and eventhough I found a couple of suggestions and solutions that initially worked, the problem returned after a few minutes. Furthermore, when I was browsing a webpage and then moved on to a new one I could see an imprint of the previous page, as if the previous letters were imprinted on the monitor. I have also experienced 4 times in about 6 hours a lovely black screen (dark grey actually) where the only option was to switch the power off after a few minutes in order to manage to get the screen to work again.

My first comment is that I find it discraceful that a company sells a product in such state, especially since the problem is well documented by thousands of user. As far as I am concerned, and the law dictates, a new product has to be in full working order and work to a full extent, especially if the company claims that the laptops are tested and are fully working.

Secondly, has anyone managed to find a solution to the above problem that fixed the problem permenantly? I will probably return the laptop and ask for a refund but I was hoping that I could fix and avoid the pain of trying to get my money back.

I apologise if my tone comes out as a bit inappropriate but honestly facing a flickering screen for hours trying to read posts and find a solution gave me a huge headache.

Thank you.

bhsolis
What's DOS?
Views: 5,762
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo YOGA 500 15 15ISK screen flickering.

How did you fix the mouse problem!?

I bought the same computer and had these same problems.  I found the display driver issue online (screen flickering, seems to be be avoided if using Chrome instead of Edge or Firefox).  That was annoying but the biggest problem was the mouse.  With the trackpad or an external mouse (with updated drivers or rolling back) the issue persisted.  The problem can be described as the mouse not moving in a fluid motion, constantly getting stuck for just a small period, appearing jumpy or sticky.  It was incredibly frustrating.  I returned the laptop assuming it was defective, however the replacement unit had the same problem.  The problem only started after the computer performed its first Windows Update.  So I removed the security update (Windows wouldn't let me remove all the other updates), and the problem vanished.  However, a day later it did more updates and the problem was back.  Since I couldn't find documentation online, I wasn't aware if a fix was even being planned.  For a brand new laptop, it was pretty appaling.  It's a shame, because I like my old Lenovo laptop.

On a side note - there are related problems with the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book, so it might just be an Intel Graphics HD 520 / i5-6200U problem.  But at this point, I don't want a Lenovo OR any other laptop with that processor...

lgonidis
Paper Tape
Views: 5,751
Message 3 of 7

I am pretty sure it is a problem related to both Windows 10 and the specific hardware. In any case when I buy a new product I expect it to work straight out of the box. The customer service admitted that the issue is know but they have no idea if and when they will fix. I am trying now to return it and get a refund.

I have found a solution somewhere about the pointer but it is not a permanent one and you have to apply it every time you boot. You have to kill one of the running programms, something like FMAA. 

For the display problems there is not permanent solution as I think that mine is faulty and not just a driver issue.

serg777
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,730
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

I have the same yoga model, I found that the problem of mouse flickering happens because FFMAP proccess, this proccess belong to audio driver, you can remove this proccess by uninstalling one of the audio driver component(I think).

And I also have a problem with video driver crashing and even blue screen, I returned the laptop for replacement one new, but now I pretty sure the problem will return.

The most serious problem is low display brightness, prolonged work on the laptop a little exhausting.

I dont know which display built-in in yoga 500-15ISK because I returned it, but I found information on one site that the display of yoga 500-15IBD is "LG Display LP156WF4-SPL1" with 220 cd/m2 brightness, so I think it should be same in 500-15ISK.

I could not understand why Lenovo not assemble display "LG Display LP156WF6-SPA1" which have 300 cd/m2 brightness, both displays have the same dimensions and connection, but the second much brighter.

Viktor01
Paper Tape
Views: 5,507
Message 5 of 7

I updated the Realtek High Definition Audio driver in device manager.
Right click, driver update, search automatically for updated driver software.

This version is newer than you can download from lenovo website.

Mouse problem solved.

gak2709
What's DOS?
Views: 2,381
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

Was anyone able to fix the display flickering issue with Lenovo Yoga 500 notebook? 

My display initially seems to be fine after a reboot. But after few minutes of usage, it starts flickering so much so that it is completely unusable and need to force restart. 

Thanks in advance. 

fransis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,349
Message 7 of 7

Take a look of solution i found for me ...

This item at the end

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors