Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manel_lenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,494
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo YOGA 720-15lKB Noise All the time

I bought the Lenovo YOGA 720-15lKB to avoid this kind of problems, but unfortunately it happened. There's a constant fan noise, pretty loud, even when i'm only using chrome. What can i do to solve it?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,467
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo YOGA 720-15lKB Noise All the time

First, find out what's causing it. Chrome does have a nasty habit of consuming a lot of resources. That's less Chrome's fault than the website you're visiting. Bad code in, say, an ad window can give Chrome fits.

The other thing that causes fans to run is background programs. Windows Update and virus scanners consume a lot of resources. Thin computers.  If you launch Task Manager while the fan is loud, you can scroll down through the processes to see what's sucking up CPU resources. 

Let us know what you find.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 3,458
Message 3 of 12

I have the 920 and there are long threads on its constant fan noise as well  you may want to read.   One solution that worked for me was changing the processor max speed to 98%.  It worked for a few weeks, then I did an update on some drivers and it no longer solved it, so back to noise. 

Like the other poster said, Virus scanners have always been a resource hog and cause of fan noise on my previous machines.   I uninstalled all the pre-installed virus scanners like Mcafee once my trial ran out, and it helped a bit.   Using Windows Defender already included with Windows 10 works much quieter.  

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,394
Message 4 of 12

Can you please check Task Manager if the CPU is running over 50%?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
manel_lenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,380
Message 5 of 12

Thank you everyone for the answers. I use firefox, not chrome, my mistake... - Here's a screenshot of the task manager while i'm simply browsing the internet. Elevated - How can i change the processor max speed to 98%?

Thank you!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,153
Message 6 of 12

Can you please check the details at Resource Monitor as well? One of the software is using the CPU for no reason and as far as I understand from the screenshot you sent, it'd DWM.exe but it shouldn't be using it so much

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
manel_lenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,965
Message 7 of 12

Here's a screenshot of the Resource Monitor while using firefox only

Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 2,825
Message 8 of 12

This thread shows how to change your processor speed, its a slight workaround on the 920's to get the option to show up in Power Options. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ll06_en/thread-id/57535/page/2

Another trick I learned is either buy a laptop riser to elevate the bottom, let heat easily escape. Or what I do, is just usually leave mine in tent mode, because I nearly always have mine connected to my docking station and monitor and don't need the keyboard.
manel_lenovo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,795
Message 9 of 12

Thank you, i just did that but the fan keeps on loud as always Smiley Sad

mkath
What's DOS?
Views: 2,396
Message 10 of 12

I had the same problem, loading the fan control helped slightly but the step that 100% solved the issue for me was unistalling the lenovo app manager program from add/remove programs.  It is so peaceful here now, can't believe I didn't research and complete these steps sooner.   Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors