Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidallenxyz
Paper Tape
Views: 232
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 11s - Base speed in Windows 10 restricted to 0.80GHz

I've had my Yoga 11s from new and had noticed a drop in performance, just assumed it was because newer versions of software were making bigger demands. Windows 8 was installed from the factory, and it is now on the latest available version of Windows 10 Home (1803).

However, I happened to open Task Manager this morning when it was running particularly slowly, and noticed that the Base Speed for the CPU was reported at 0.80GHz when the processor (i3 3229y) is rated at 1.40GHz.

base speed.PNG

Booting in safe mode shows a speed of 1.40GHz.

There are a couple of mentions of similar issues with Windows 10 in Microsoft Support but no clear answer.

Any suggestions what this may be on a Yoga 11s specifically? I'd rather not do a clean reboot hastily as it may not even solve it.

Thanks

davidallenxyz
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 11s - Base speed in Windows 10 restricted to 0.80GHz

For what it's worth I've spent the afternoon trying to track down the issue and this is what I have come up with:

The problem seems to be the way that Windows 10 Task Manager is reporting the processor speed, rather than the speed of the processor itself.

By forcing the processor cores to use a generic "Processor" driver rather than the "Intel Processor" driver, I can get the speed in Task Manager to report at 1.4GHz. However the laptop is even slower than usual after doing this.

The CPU-Z utility shows that the clock speed is only 800MHz in this scenario.

However, if I revert to the "Intel Processor" driver, CPU-Z reports a clock speed of 1.4GHz, even though Task Manager suggests the laptop is running at 800MHz!

Running CPU-Z's benchmarking tests proves that the system is actually faster with the Task Manager-reported "slow" base speed.

Very odd.

I did lots of troubleshooting to see if it was startup programs or old drivers that were causing the problem but they weren't. I also opened up the laptop to clean out any accumulated dust but there wasn't anything to speak of.

Unfortunately this does mean that time has caught up with my Yoga 11s and it is simply slow. Shame.

Wechat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 50
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 11s - Base speed in Windows 10 restricted to 0.80GHz

FWIW, I have experienced the same issue. I installed win 7 & the base speed went up to 1.8.

Hope this helps

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors