Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swallowtail
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,228
Message 1 of 18

Lenovo Yoga 13 Space Bar?

I recently got the Yoga 13, and I love nearly everything about it. The only problem is that I like to hit the right side of the space bar, instead of the center. Though whenever I do that, it doesn't think I hit the spacebar, so I get something like this:

This is whathappenswhenIhitthespacebar.Itis reallyannoying.

Is there any way I can fix that? I can press it in the center and it's pefectly fine, but I normally hit the right side of the space bar, instead.

Thanks

lenovoyogauser
Token Ring
Views: 9,087
Message 2 of 18

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 Space Bar?

I checked mine and mine doesn't have this issue. 

return1
What's DOS?
Views: 8,947
Message 3 of 18

yeah, my spacebar doesnot work aswell as I would like itt...

yeah, my spacebar doesnot work aswell as I would like itto so I will betakingit back thesamenightI gotmyyoga.Notworth1000$!

mart22x
Punch Card
Views: 8,916
Message 4 of 18

My original yoga 13 keyboard had this exact same problem.  I damaged the keyboard in a separate situation and convinced Lenovo support to send me a new keyboard.  The new keyboard does not have the same space bar issue!

The only problem is that installing the new keyboard yourself isn't so simple as there are issues using double sided tape to keep it from bouncing.  In addition, lenovo recommends having the keyboard replaced at their service center, requiring a week or so.

If I were you, I'd exchange it and hope the new one doesn't have the issue.  Or if you have time, contact lenovo and have them replace it.

pas
Punch Card
Views: 8,897
Message 5 of 18

Mine had the same problem, to some extent. It seems to have loosened up over time. Try a few firm pushes on the sides of the space bar.
grizzly80
Paper Tape
Views: 8,847
Message 6 of 18

My space bar has this issue also, but on the left hand side at the bottom only.  The rest of the spacebar feels pretty responsive other than the left hand side where it feels a lot firmer to push down and feels as though it is restricted by something.

I can press pretty hard on the left hand bottom corner and it will not register the space at all.  Top corner is OK.  Very annoying as I often click using the left hand side.

So if I contact Lenovo, they are happy to send out replacement keyboards?  I am happy to take a look myself, but if it breaks then I can't afford to be without a working keyboard.

Thanks.

pas
Punch Card
Views: 8,801
Message 7 of 18

I played around with mine a bit more and found it to be unsatisfactory.  I called Lenovo, and, to my surprise, had no trouble convincing them to send a replacement keyboard.  I plan on upgrading the RAM anyway, so I replace the keyboard during that process.

They did inform me that damage caused by replacing the keyboard myself could void the warranty, which I understand.  There are a few YouTube videos that demonstrates the process -- which I would have to go through anyway for the memory upgrade.

I was sure to ask them to send more of the double-sided tape, which they made a note of.  I'm not sure if they'll do this, so I'll try to update when the pacakge arrives.

pas
Punch Card
Views: 8,745
Message 8 of 18

Great news, everyone.

The new keyboard Lenovo sent came in today (coincidentally, so did Crucial's new RAM).

The keyboard came with the adhesive attached.  I simply had to remove the (clear) plastic backing.  There is one strip of tape on the left, and another on the right.

The space bar on this one is much better (I didn't realize how bad my other one was until I got this one), and they new keyboard has no sponginess whatsoever.  In fact, I think it has LESS bounce than the original one (I was very careful to engage all the metal clips on the back.  As I slid it back into position, I had my fingers on the home row).

I followed this wonderful tutorial.  Don't be afraid to apply a little force around the edges when removing the keyboard (however, be careful not to make any scratches).  Also, I used a small screwdriver to nudge the plastic end of the ribbon cable into place.

- Peter

ElDominio
Punch Card
Views: 8,585
Message 9 of 18

I've been considering calling since I got my Yoga yessterday and my two main complaints are the speakers (but I don't care much), and the keyboard (which, coming from a Macbook, is quite horribad). How good to deal with is customer support?
kvinagro
Punch Card
Views: 8,475
Message 10 of 18

My spacebar is having the same issue with the bottom left not working quite right and also my "i" key sticks from time to time. Unlike with you guys, lenovo refused to send me the keyboard and insisted on me sending it in for repair. I guess I will have to try and call back and get someone more willing to help

Any tips on what to say to get them to do it??

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors