Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markhamron
Paper Tape
Views: 997
Message 11 of 18

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 Space Bar?

This is a design flaw. The space bar only has one elastomer switch and it is situated in the middle of the bar. It is impossible to meet a full bar specification with this configuration, which renders portions of the space bar inoperable As an engineer, I am embarrassed for the Lenovo team. They save close to a dollar, but disappoint so many customers ..

Markhamron
Paper Tape
Views: 983
Message 12 of 18

This problem can't be fixed because it is caused by a poor design.  There is only one elastomeric swicth under the space bar verses the normal two or three.  This single switch is in the middle of the bar.  Anyone who has ever been on a see saw knows that when you push down on one side, the other side goes up, but the middle (where the fulcrum is) stays stationary unless both sides are eaqually loaded.

The same thing is happening here with this terrible design.  If you press on one side of the space bar, the other side goes up, and there is little movement in the middle where the switch is.  You must press in the middle or close to it.  The rest of the space bar is a waste of space,

We should all petition Lenmovo to employ good engineers that know simple things like this, simple engineering good practices.  We should insist that they populate the empty switch positions underneath, and offer them to people who actually use the keyboard!

Markhamron
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 13 of 18

Re: Customer support

I brought mine back to Best Buy the next week after I bought it because of the space bar issue.  They told me they could not work on it because it was under warranty.  My only option was to send it back to Lenovo for a $45 fee and would have to pay an additional $45 if they don't find the problem.  Basically no support at all.

ken218
Fanfold Paper
Views: 933
Message 14 of 18

I was having the same problem with my yoga 3 pro, so I decided to removing the space bar to see if it was fitted incorrectly or defective.

Since I wasn't sure how the space bar is clipped on, i didn't get much success. I managed to unclip one clip on the left hand side, and two clips on the right hand side by sliding business cards under the key, and pry the key a bit with my finger nail.

When I inspect underneth the key cap I noticed the right hand side should clip onto three contact points (metal wires), which provides upward force to the key. so i press down on the space bar to make sure I hear three clicks when I push it back. From there on, the keyboard seems to function properly. 

This may or may not resolve your issue, as each case could be different, but it fixed my issue. I must say, I am disappointed with Lenovo's quality control. This issue is spread across different models over multiple years. No wonder it is losing market share and dropping on manufacturer rankings. Thinkpad used to be my dream laptop, but now, if I am spending my own money, I will stay away from it!

ken218
Fanfold Paper
Views: 932
Message 15 of 18

@Markhamron wrote:

I brought mine back to Best Buy the next week after I bought it because of the space bar issue.  They told me they could not work on it because it was under warranty.  My only option was to send it back to Lenovo for a $45 fee and would have to pay an additional $45 if they don't find the problem.  Basically no support at all.

Contact Lenovo directly on 1-877-453-6686. when i described my issue to the support person, he diagnostic it is a defect, so offered free courier pickup and repair service. He said it will take 7 working days after they receive the laptop, provided they have the replacement parts. 

I decided to mess with the key a little, because I don't really trust service center technicians, and I don't like tool marks left on the screw when the disassemble the machine Smiley Frustrated (OCD)

AlonsoGV
What's DOS?
Views: 806
Message 16 of 18

My Yoga presents the same problem, and it really is an obstacle. I hope that Lenovo comes back with a solution soonest. I would hate to have to file a complaint with the consummers protection board.

mraatika
What's DOS?
Views: 451
Message 17 of 18

I have exactlythe same problem. Seems that this is prettymuch a feature, unfortunately.

"this message has been writtenwith lenovo yoga pro3 to demonstratehow magnificently the space works. "

Geof11061
Paper Tape
Views: 442
Message 18 of 18

It is very interseting to read these issues. I have just purchasedthe Yoga910 and it has exactly the same problem, namely that I naturally hit th espace bar on the right hand side with my thumbtucked under the N and M keys. And I am having exactly the sameproblem. (I am typing this review uneditied on the machine). I can honestly say that I have owned about20 machines in my life and have never seen this problem before but it seems from the forum that thisis somethng that just goeswith the turf, which is thoroughlydisappointing. It isa massive design flaw in my opinion, I cannot believe that people who naturally hitthe right sideof the space bar are so rare.

Sucha shame because this wouldbe such an awesome laptop were it not for this flaw. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors