Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 27 (33,759 Views)

Lenovo Yoga 13 - Throttles CPU when in Tablet mode set to Portrait orientation

When I set my Yoga 13 to tablet mode and set the orientation to Portrait mode, it throttles the CPU to 0.78 ghz and no matter what I run, it won't bring the CPU back to normal.  Once I flip it back to laptop mode, it's back to normal.  There needs to be an option turn the throttling featuer on or off at will.

The other night I was showing my neighbor this glorious laptop and while demonstrating the game Birzzle, once in portrait mode, the game started freezing up because the CPU couldn't keep up.

Any help please?

Former Employee
Message 2 of 27 (33,703 Views)

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 - Throttles CPU when in Tablet mode set to Portrait orientation

[ Edited ]

Try to uninstall the Lenovo Transition

UPDATE: Before uninstall the Lenovo Transition, you could try disable and stop the service ymc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get BIOS version: Windows key + R --> cmd --> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 27 (33,684 Views)

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 - Throttles CPU when in Tablet mode set to Portrait orientation

It turned out to be the Intel Dynamic Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework that does it.  I turned it off in the BIOS and the problem went away.

Aside from throttling, is there any added value to having this on?  It's not as dynamic as it's name suggests.  I imagine it's supposed to up the CPU when there's demand for it?  So it must not be working correctly.

Former Employee
Message 4 of 27 (33,666 Views)

We limited CPU frequency at around 800Mhz via Intel DPTF in tablet mode. The DPTF not only down CPU frequency but also could down your CPU TDP to save power.

How to get BIOS version: Windows key + R --> cmd --> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 27 (33,636 Views)

Is this done solely for power saving?

Or is there some thermal issue in Tablet Mode?
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 27 (33,613 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's nice and all, but when throttled in tablet mode, literally while playing an MP3, when trying to run other apps, it makes the MP3 skip or sound robotic slow, and games lock up. It's great what DTPF is doing, but what's the point of using it in tablet mode when nothing really works from the cpu throttling?  Most games are played in tablet mode also, so you can imagine how frustrating this is.. and going to be.

I'll keep it uninstalled and report back on battery life impacts.  I highly doubt the Yoga 13 has thermal issues when the fan never wants to shut off anyways. Smiley Happy

Former Employee
Message 7 of 27 (33,569 Views)

There is no thermal issue, and I am suggesting to higher the start temperature of fan which is too low cause fan always runs.
Punch Card
Message 8 of 27 (33,558 Views)

Thanks Andy! You give us hope.  Many of us would have returned our units by now if it weren't for you and the other Lenovo employees active on these forums.  We believe these units have amazing potential and are looking forward to the fixes and tweaks that we hope Lenovo will provide in the coming weeks.

Paper Tape
Message 9 of 27 (33,370 Views)

Is there any update on this?? I purchased my unit from Best Buy and could play Birzzle with no issues. I reinstalled my machine because of the wasted drive space. I wiped the drive and started fresh using the drivers from the d: drive, plus some from the website.

After re-installing I am having this cpu throttling issue when the DPTF software package is installed and using tablet mode. So I don't know if the original image had a different DPTF package on it or what, but something is different. Is there any way to keep DPTF installed but don't limit the CPU?

if you uninstall DPTF the fan runs higher than it should, so....

What is the fix?

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 27 (32,900 Views)

[ Edited ]

How do you higher the start temperature of fan?

And how high should it be?

Top kudoed Authors