Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azellermeyer
What's DOS?
Views: 3,152
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Yoga 13 heat damage on case

Hi,

I've had my Yoga 13 since launch and I've just noticed that there is heat damage on the outside of the case. I've always noticed that the laptop gets very warm when in use, but I was surprised to see this.

I've attached pictures of the damage. It is present on both sides of the device next to the hinges.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of damage? I haven't overclocked the device or done anything that overtaxes the system.  I do use it every day though, both in tablet mode for video and as a laptop for Indesign, light Photoshop use and Ilustrator.

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

ctowne
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,100
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 heat damage on case

@Azellermeyer wrote:

Hi,

I've had my Yoga 13 since launch and I've just noticed that there is heat damage on the outside of the case. I've always noticed that the laptop gets very warm when in use, but I was surprised to see this.

I've attached pictures of the damage. It is present on both sides of the device next to the hinges.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of damage? I haven't overclocked the device or done anything that overtaxes the system.  I do use it every day though, both in tablet mode for video and as a laptop for Indesign, light Photoshop use and Ilustrator.

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

That seems like a really strange place to have heat damage.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,085
Message 3 of 15

hi Azellermeyer,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums

Just like what ctowne said, this is a weird burn mark on the Yoga 13, first time I've seen one in this unit.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like there's a burning fume that erupted that might have caused the discoloration but looking around, seems like there's no area that was melted.

Is there any burning smell on the discolored area? If yes, I recommend you contact lenovo support to investigate on the matter.

If there's no burning smell, do you use a sleeve or case for the Yoga 13? Sometimes when you use the PC and you put it away on a sleeve/case, the heat might have shed the material on the sleeve/case (especially if it's a low quality) and stained the Yoga 13's base cover. If this is the case, check this video on how to remove stains on a laptop.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

chris_king10
What's DOS?
Views: 2,559
Message 4 of 15

I have a Yoga 11s and those burn marks appeared shortly after I purchased the device.  I noticed it was getting a little hot and turned on the active cool setting which helped.  Over time the burn marks have become worse and Lenovo needs to investigate this problem and find a cause.  There could be multiple factors but from what I have found online this isn't just a one time incident.  I would like further support on this matter from Lenovo.  Also cleaning the case doesn't work as you suggested, you can't clean burn makes.  In my opinion, it could have a minor short in the system or the material the case in constructed of is the cause of the problem.  I'm sure I can speak for all Yoga user when I say we need an answer for this mystery.

Guru
Views: 2,538
Message 5 of 15

Strange. Haven't noticed it before. Maybe it's a chemical reaction to something? It doesn't have to be a burn mark necessarily?

Download this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

Run it for 5 minutes. Please don't run it any longer as these synthetic tests put a very high stress on the CPU.
First run it on one core. Put your hand on the affected area. And see if it gets very hot.
Then move to 2 cores, put your hand, 3, hand, 4, hand and so on.

But I have tested this here. And I believe it must be a chemical reaction to a certain product.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Dee_75
Paper Tape
Views: 2,488
Message 6 of 15

Is there an update to this issue?

I bought my Yoga 11s on 12/9 and only went a few days before picking up the sleeve for tablet mode. I've used it every day since getting it, 80% of the time in tablet mode with the sleeve covering the keyboard.

Earlier this week I noticed what looks like two burn marks on the lid, not at the edges as in the OP's pictures, but instead small round burn marks where the rubber feet touch the lid in tablet mode, in the area where the sleeve doesn't completely cover the feet. I tried the toothpaste cleaning, but as I expected, it didn't do a thing.

This really bugs me. I treat my computers/tablets with such care that they look brand new when I go to sell them 2-3 years later. I'm tempted to return it to Best Buy. I can't look at it without my eyes going straight to those marks.

Dee_75
Paper Tape
Views: 2,485
Message 7 of 15

P.S. Can anyone tell me where to find the active cool setting?
kahboom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,171
Message 8 of 15

Hey All,

i am wondering if ther are any updates on this as well. I have an 11S and am noticing the same thing as chris king and paper tape

wader
What's DOS?
Views: 2,042
Message 9 of 15

Here we are more than 12 months since the first post on this issue and no comment from Lenovo. I bought my Yoga 13 just a few weeks agao and have the exact same heat damage as shown in the photos shared by Azellermeyer. Can anyone provide an update on what steps you took to address the issue and any support provided by Lenovo, if any?

Guru
Views: 2,018
Message 10 of 15

The Yoga 13 shouldn't get hot. Mine ran always fairly cool. Maybe little warm but it was hardly noticeable.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors