Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronpinoy253
Paper Tape
Views: 1,545
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo Yoga 13 w/Lenovo Sleeve Issue

So I just bought a new Yoga 13 ultrabook and the thing is amazingly versatile.  I also decided to pick up the Lenovo sleeve in order to add a layer of protection.

It appears as if the tablet has been accumulating an "uncleanable" spot on the cover where the four rubber feet would normally come into contact with it when folded into a tablet mode.  These four spots on the cover are not coming off with light cleaners and I even tried some Simple Green...no luck.  They are exactly located in the spots where the feet touch the cover and leave a noticeable mark.  I don't know if this issue is due to the sleeve since I have only ever used the ultrabook with the sleeve.

I called tech support and they haven't a clue and so I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue?  Perhaps I should return the sleeve and exchange the ultrabook for another to start fresh.

Thanks for any help or insight.

3_D
Punch Card
Views: 1,493
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo Yoga 13 w/Lenovo Sleeve Issue

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing.
stevencd89
What's DOS?
Views: 1,456
Message 3 of 8

I use the sleeve daily and do not experience these problems.

ronpinoy253
Paper Tape
Views: 1,440
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the replies so far.  So I wonder if this is an issue with certain sleeves being more prone to "bleeding" the black color into the Yoga 13 silver colored covers.  I haven't succeeded in removing the 4 "stained spots" yet.  I am not willing to try more potent cleaners as I do not know how the Yoga's cover will respond.

JShamah
Paper Tape
Views: 871
Message 5 of 8

I don't use a sleeve, but the silver case is going green along all the edges of the case!

Its an irritation on such an expensive device.

I am the point of calling support but don't want to be without it for so long.

Is this a random problem or has the coating not been applied correctly ?

kvinagro
Punch Card
Views: 761
Message 6 of 8

JShamah wrote:

I don't use a sleeve, but the silver case is going green along all the edges of the case!

Its an irritation on such an expensive device.

I am the point of calling support but don't want to be without it for so long.

Is this a random problem or has the coating not been applied correctly ?

I'm having the same issue, but mine is blue all along the edges. Nothing I have tried has helped. Will Lenovo cover this under warranty?

rocket42
Paper Tape
Views: 687
Message 7 of 8

I HAVE YOUR ANSWER!!!

Before I tell you the secret, allow me to tell you about my situation.  I too own a Yoga and have had the four brownish marks on the corners.  Determined to get them off, I tried just about every cleaner that I could think of.  Then I sat down and thought about HOW those marks got there.  Since they don't wipe off, it obviously isn't something ON the plastic, it is something IN the plastic.  So I took to the case to find out what solvent would work.  Alcohol (isopropol that you can buy in the supermarket) took the black off the cover, so I had found my solvent.  The next thing that I thought is, how do I 'pull' the discoloration out of the cover.  Simple, I thought, I'll just soak it up.  So I did the following and it worked PERFECTLY!!!

Get some paper towels and some isoprople (spelling) alcohol.  Tear off four medium sized squares of paper towel and lay them on top the the four discolored marks on the lid.  Squirt the alcohol on the paper towels until they are SOAKED.  Press them against the cover so that they are contacting it without too much air in-between them and the cover.  You want to dye to be able to diffuse up into the paper towels.  Resoak the paper towels and move them slightly every 15-30 minutes.  Do this process for an hour or two.  Check the results and repeat as necessarry.

THERE WILL BE SOME DISCOLORATION WHILE THIS PROCESS HAPPENS--IT IS TEMPORARY!  It seems like to alcohol will actually soak into the plastic and make it seem lighter.  I saw this and thought that I had ruined my 'paint job'.  However, over several minutes the alcohol will evaporate and you will be left with a good-as-new cover!

SPREAD THE WORD FOR THIS SOLUTION IF YOU HAVE SEEN IT ASKED ELSEWHERE!!!

JShamah
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 8 of 8

I wish the alcohol method would have fixed the discolouration, but it made no impact whatsoever.

So, with my 6 week old, £1000, Yoga 13 looking like a silver and green piece of garbage which I was ashamed to use in meetings, it is now having a new case being at the Medion subcontract repair facility in Germany. This means 3+ weeks without my laptop and the prospect of having to rebuild from factory fresh. - I had to restore to original because of data security :-( - Luckily my primary data source is cloud-based.

So, lets see how it is returned and whether it has been worth all the pain.

....and just to add insult to injury, I see the new YOGA2 with backlit / retractable keypad is about to be released!

But despite everything I do like it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors