Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WoodyAtWar
Paper Tape
Views: 352
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Yoga 15 - shuts down on battery

I'll try and explain this one best i can.

User came to me with their Yoga 15 with an issue where it randomly shuts down on battery power, as in completely switches off.  It sometimes displays a message to say the battery cannot be detected, other times just shuts down.

The conclusion I've found is that when the bottom panel is off the machine the battery is completely detected in Windows, and the Lenovo Settings app. It runs fine, never cuts off even with lots of IE instances open.

As soon as I put the bottom panel back on the battery appears to be disconnected in Windows, and it also shows it not charging. Intermittently it also states the battery power is low or not detected when booting up.

Found that there's a battery / system reset button on the underside that may be the cause of the issue.

Pressing this button with the underside of the Laptop off resets the machine entirely, I believe it's the battery reset button incase the machine ever gets stuck at any point (as by rights it's a non-removable battery and there's a small pin hole on the case over this button).

Works flawlessly without the bottom case in place, as soon as I re-connect it when the unit is on Battery power I loose the battery status in the Lenovo Settings app. The machine will then randomly shut down.

Any thoughts on this one, it's the strangest thing.

Many thanks all.

Guru
Guru
Views: 340
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Yoga 15 - shuts down on battery

• When you put the panel back, is it touching/blocking any wires?
  • Have you tried to do a factory reset? If everything works fine then, try updating drivers one by one to see if it comes back.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

WoodyAtWar
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 3 of 6

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.  I can't see that the back panel is trapping anything, i've tried carefully placing it back on and screwing back in each screw one at a time with the machine powered on to see if it was one particular area of the panel causing the issue, it's only when the panel is completely back on that it then cuts off.

The machine has had a complete rebuild on a new SSD too, with all the latest drivers downloaded and installed.  I also tried a different SSD from an identical machine in it, still the same issue with the Battery not being detected and powering off etc.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Andy

WoodyAtWar
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 4 of 6

Hi there,

Any other thoughts on this?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Andy

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 287
Message 5 of 6

Sounds like it might not have been machined perfectly. Lots of users have noted that the bottom panel doesn't line up flush on both sides of the laptop, and the screws holding the bottom panel in place aren't perfectly aligned either. Do you think it's possible that the metal side of the laptop where the pin-hole is is getting pulled inward by the bottom panel being screwed in? You could caveman fix it by carefully bending the metal away from that button, if possible, but really it should probably get replaced by Lenovo as defective.

WoodyAtWar
Paper Tape
Views: 278
Message 6 of 6

Hi there,

Thanks for this, it's reassuring to know that others have had the same issues.

You mention however the pin being on the side of the Laptop but it's directly in the middle on this model, in the centre of the back panel itself, so the reset button is centre of the mainboard just below the battery (and is actually an integral part of the mainboard).

Thanks again!

Andy

Top Kudoed Authors