cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenoBro
Paper Tape
Views: 177,207
Message 1 of 84

Lenovo Yoga 2 11 won't turn on / won't charge!

Hello all, just looking for some help. I am completely desperate at this point! 

As the title states, I own the Lenovo Yoga 2 11 inch version (the one on this link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-5...

Please note that this is the version with the Pentium N3520, not the i5-4210Y! This laptop was purchased at the end of March.

Anyway, the last time I used this laptop was on Thursday. I used it to quickly email something to the desktop I was using. I noticed it had around 10% battery left, so I planned on charging it later that day.

I got caught up with some other school work and did not touch my laptop until Friday morning. I pressed the power button, but it did not turn on. This was not surprising, since I figured the battery had run out since the previous day. I plugged it in but immediately noticed that something was wrong. The Power/Charging LED did not turn on. The laptop does not POST, and it does not beep! The fans do not start up, and the screen does not even flicker. It is exactly as if the battery is not there. The charger and the outlet work fine, as they have been tested with another Lenovo laptop.

I opened it up to see if anything was loose, but nothing appears wrong. I am seriously scared that I will have to return this laptop to Lenovo. I have very sensitive information regarding my engineering work, and some private files from a company. Plus, I have all my Nexus 5 nandroid backups on there!

I have attached some pics. Can anyone suggest where to start my testing? Is it worth it bringing it to a local computer repair shop?

Thanks in advance!

1: Motherboard layout

2. Charging port

3. Power button connection

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to image 3

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

cintiasq
Paper Tape
Views: 176,845
Message 2 of 84

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 11 won't turn on / won't charge!

Hi...

I Bought the same device at the same place....I have the same problem... Have you ever got a solution?

Tks!

Cintia

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 176,841
Message 3 of 84

I have encountered issues with laptops before which are similar. Can you try the following?

1) Remove the battery and unplug the laptop.

2) With all power removed, hold down the power button for 30 seconds (discharge the caps)

3) Plug in the laptop WITHOUT the battery.

4) Attempt to power on the laptop.

Let me know if this works.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
LenoBro
Paper Tape
Views: 176,764
Message 4 of 84

Though that advice may work for laptops with simple batteries, this laptop does not have a removable battery.
And no, I have not resolved this issue yet. I have been caught up with work and have not gotten around to sending in for a warranty replacement. I have backed up the hard drive with a SATA to USB cable, so data loss is no problem for me.

I don't think there is any solution to this, beside sending it in for a replacement!
mechenique
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 176,577
Message 5 of 84

Hi,

I've bought a yoga2 with same characteristics. I'm from argentina, no nice support here. Have you had any clue about this? did you solve the problem?

thanks and Br,

Martin

mechenique
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 176,558
Message 6 of 84

FINALLY I FOUND THE SOLUTION! (to the wer problem)

I just removed all the screws, unplugged the then plugged the cord, opened (to see the screen) and push the power button. as a kind of magic the light came out again! after that I powered off again. put all in this place. 

Now I have it working again (windows update came out and now screen is freezed... crap!). Let's see how long I have this questionable marvel working. Please let me know If somebody knows the reason of this hang up. I'd like not to have to open this gadget again.

Amuse yourselves!

Martin

LenoBro
Paper Tape
Views: 176,551
Message 7 of 84

Which screws did you remove? Just the 10 screws that hold the back cover in place? Did you remove anything else?
Thanks!
mechenique
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 176,517
Message 8 of 84

Yes, those 10 screws (with a torx 5 type screwdriver). Then y localized the embedded battery (so easy to figure it out), then I unplugged the connector (not necessary to remove the battery screws). 

Ameekah
Paper Tape
Views: 175,743
Message 9 of 84

Hi, I am having the same issues as you guys, I bought the laptop about a month ago in the US. I am now in Africa which means I can't return. Please advise as I am desperate. Thank you
cintiasq
Paper Tape
Views: 175,735
Message 10 of 84

Hy guys... I bought it in US and I live in Brazil, so I could not return the laptop and had not acquired the Lenovo worldwide warranty, so I had to send the laptop for expert technical assistance in lenovo equipment. They told me that was necessary to changed the DC board ... that has something related with energy (sorry, am totally layman and I'm not sure of this). I paid about $ 200 for the repair (!) and the problem has happened AGAIN, but they fixed it without charging me... kind of warranty by the service. I hope not to happen again, but I'm afraid it is really possible to do.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors