Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjustagurl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,549
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (20344) Hard drive replacement help

Hi Everyone,

I'm at my wits end and was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what exactly I need to do, purchase to bring my laptop back to life. Long story short, I have had this for just over 2 years, no more warranty and the hard drive I believe is going out/has gone out. It all started with a failed windows 10 upgrade, kept looping, finally I blew away I guess everything on it. Now when I am trying to re-instal windows 8.1 it tells me that it cannot because the hard disk may fail soon. I can get mostly through the windows setup but it always ends up failing.

My question is, can someone help me identify what exactly needs to be replaced? I am fairly tech savy good at following directions and installing things by myself. (garbage disposals, haha). What I am not good at is trying to track down what hard drive to buy would be? I hate to bring it to best buy as its $200 just for a diagnosis and then whatever to fix it on top of that. 

Can anyone offer insight and help me become enlightened?

Thanks so much,

L

AtypicallyTyp
Serial Port
Views: 2,530
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (20344) Hard drive replacement help

I figure you aren't worried about voiding warranty, since it's alredy expired, so I would just disassemble the computer and replace the hard drive yourself. The worse case senario is that your computer is more or less in the same state that it is now: utterly useless.

I'm no expert at replacing hard drives, but I did find some links that may help you.

• This Lenovo manual on Hardware Maintnece tells you all about removing your hard drive on page 36
  • I figure that replacing your hard drive is pretty much the same as upgrading it (both are removing a drive and replacing it), so instead of doing a good amount of work, these people probally have answered all of your problems. I wouldn't worry about all the people saying to back it up, because it sounds like you have no data left on it. The replies are like from a couple years ago, but then again, so is your computer.
  • I really don't know what your preference is for a storage system (HDD vs SDD vs Hybird). If you really don't know the difference, you should really read up on it here.
  • If video tutorials are more your thing, this might help. I'm not sure if it's the same model as yours, but it should be the same across all devices.
  • Oh, and one more thing. Microsoft stopped the free Windows 10 upgrade, so you're going to be stuck at Windows 8.1 (Unless you shell out $100+, or have an uncle that works at Microsoft like I do). You can still get it for free here from Microsoft (So no shady download torrents, you're welcome). It's meant for people that would like to use assisitive technologies (Narrator, Magnifyer) but Windows isn't really checking who downloads it, and they aren't attempting to stop you. I'll let your concience guide you.
  • My final piece of advice: price it out. If the drive you want is too expensive (or about half the price of a new computer), just get a new computer if you can afford it. If you want a good deal, I would suggest Costco or BJ's (if you're a part of those wholesale clubs).

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, I hear there's some good sales on Lenovo laptops right now.

imjustagurl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,514
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (20344) Hard drive replacement help

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have no idea between the two types of hard drives, I am not even sure what type this computer came with to be honest. I will have a read through the manual, ideally I would just get the same one but doubtful thats possible. Appreciate the response! 

Cheers,

L

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors