Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igglebop
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,094
Message 1 of 19

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Freezing after sleep

I've been experiencing a lot of weird quirks with my Yoga 2, and I'm not sure whether Windows 8.1, my specific combination or drivers, or a hardware issue is to blame.  The most consistent, and annoying issue, is the laptop constantly freezes after putting it to sleep.  It is almost transparent -- I never see the blue screen, because I've already closed the laptop.  I just open it up, the Lenovo logo pops up, and it turns out my computer has rebooted.  The windows event log confirms that a critical error has occurred.

I've performed a factory reset and it still occurs.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

xyxtom007
Paper Tape
Views: 9,005
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Freezing after sleep

Hi,
I have the same problem with my yoga 2 pro. I've tried to find solutions but none of them work for me. My best guess is that the new hardware have compatibility issues with windows 8.1. My spec is i7 4500 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
BTW, you can avoid this frustration by disable Sleep mode. I use Hybernate mode for both my power botton and lid-close actions. Setting are in Power Options.
I hope Lenovo take this seriously, it's a shame that we have to experience all this. Don't they care about branding?
igglebop
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,970
Message 3 of 19

Good suggestion on using Hibernate mode.  That seems to have solved the freeze, though it's a bummer we have to give up the instant boot-up.

I ran some bugchecks a while back that suggested the freezes were caused by driver issues, most likely those associated with VPN.  Do you have a VPN client installed?  Have you installed the other latest drivers from the Lenovo site?

xyxtom007
Paper Tape
Views: 8,939
Message 4 of 19

Ok, the Hibernate mode no longer works for me. The system now freezes even from Shut Down. I've looked into window events logs, it's definitely the problem with the drivers. I have not yet find out which driver is causing the problem. some suggested that it's the Intel Smart Connect. But all my drivers are up to date according to Lenovo website.
To answer your question, I have not used any VPN.
Another possibility is the anti-virus software. Are you still running the McAfee on urs?
igglebop
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,930
Message 5 of 19

The problems got worse for me, too, about a month ago.  It was crashing more often, and whenever I rebooted it took a full 5 minutes sitting on the Lenovo screen before it started up.  I ended up calling Lenovo support and they instructed me to do a factory reset.  After doing that, I still had problems, so I did a Windows refresh, and that cleared up those additional problems -- but the core problem, random crashes during sleep, is still occurring.

I am not running McAfee.  I am running all the latest drivers from the website.  By any chance have you installed Citrix Receiver?  One of the crash logs suggested this could be a problme.

I also have an i7 / 256mb / 8g ram machine.  One possibility is we've got some dud machines.  Maybe bad memory that it tries to reference every once in a while.  If more people were weighing in, I'd be more confident it was a software problem, but so far it's just us two!  In my call with Lenovo, they said that a factory reset was the last step before they'd exchange it under warranty.

Y2Pguy
Paper Tape
Views: 8,916
Message 6 of 19

I've also been experiencing thi sproblem, just purchased my laptop a few days ago. I'll try hibernate to see if this clears things up a bit. I have the 128 ssd spec.

xyxtom007
Paper Tape
Views: 8,890
Message 7 of 19

I also have an i7 / 256mb / 8g ram spec.

I hope I'm bringing some good news guys. I've been freeze-free for 3 days since I updated 8 drivers for my Yoga. I used the DriverMax software commended by a friend. Note the free version only allow you to update 2 drivers each day. So far my Yoga is behaving well. I will bring more updated new in few days time.
igglebop
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,865
Message 8 of 19

Cool!  Let us know if the problem returns -- or if it doesn't!  Do you know what specific drivers were updated by the tool?

wilkster
802.11n
Views: 8,842
Message 9 of 19

I noticed I was having strange issues after I had installed HWINFO64. Uninstalling it solved the problem. Make sure you are aware of any third part programs that may not be fully compatible with these new chipsets/processors.

xyxtom007
Paper Tape
Views: 8,821
Message 10 of 19

Update

After updating all the drivers using DriverMax. I've been freeze-free for more than a week now. So far I believe that the problem have been solved. I cant say DriverMax is 100% reliable, but it does the trick for me. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors