Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,838
Message 1 of 27

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro no sound from speakers

Ok so i would describe myself as an intermediate/advanced PC user, but this has baffled me.

My speakers suddenly stopped working so i did the normal reinstalling of the drivers however this did nothing. I tried this many times, uninstalling the windows audio drivers. Nothing worked.

Because of all my messing with the system to try and get the speakers to work, i decided to reinstall windows hoping this would fix the issue. On the newly installed version of windows i had no sound from the Microsoft drivers or from installing the Realtek drivers.

Currently i have noticed that the drivers do not seem to be correctly installing. After installing the Realtek drivers the installation all works perfectly, restarting the computer and then finishing the installation etc. But after i check in device manager the Microsoft drivers still seem to be installed? I have tried manually uninstalling the Microsoft drivers and then installing tthe Realtek, but the Microsoft drivers just reappear.

The sound does work from the headphone jack. I initially thought it might be the hardware the speakers themselves but after noticing the drivers aren't installing correctly it may well be a software issue.

Can anyone help?!?! I really don't have the £99 Microsoft wanted to help and Lenovo were completely useless, uninsterested and told me to contact Microsoft. What really sucks is the fact my Warranty with Lenovo has literally just ran out Smiley Sad

Guru
Views: 14,788
Message 2 of 27

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro no sound from speakers

Are these the drivers you are trying to install?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-2-pro-lenovo/download...

All driver updates are here, you might want to apply all updates -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-2-pro-lenovo

Could you please post a screenshot how your audio drivers are showing up (in Device manager)?

Also, go to system try >> right click on volume >> Playback devices

and post a screenshot of what is selected there? Also, see if something can be configured in those settings?

You may also want to upgrade your Intel Graphics (chipset) drivers, sometimes they cause problems with audio.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,783
Message 3 of 27

Thanks for the response.

I've attached images of the device manager and playback devices.

Please notice the two different sections which apply to sound in the device manager (highlighted in red). Should there be two sections which refer to sound drivers?

I will try updating the graphics driver and post back.device manager.jpgplayback devices.jpg

Guru
Views: 14,775
Message 4 of 27

Your settings seem fine to me. The Device manager looks ok.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,772
Message 5 of 27

Then the speakers are gone. Absolutely shocking for a £1000 laptop to do this after a year and Lenovo doesn't want to know because the warranty is up.

I had issues with the audio jack early on and the touchpad has been awful I just wished I had returned when I had the chance. I won't be touching Lenovo again that's for sure.
Guru
Views: 14,763
Message 6 of 27

You can run some tests from here to check if its a motherboard connection problem -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

Could be that just a wire is loose inside the laptop, As you say you are a intermediate/advanced PC user, you can open it up and check for loose connections. Here is the manual link -

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_pro_hmm.pdf

Lenovo's warranty can be extended, i believe if you were having issues, you should have extended it. Sorry about the laptop condition now.

My suggestion is to take a look inside and see if it seems like a fixable problem. If not, buy and use external speakers.

I am sure there are no manufacturers who would fix a laptop without being paid if it is no longer in warranty (and problems can happen with any laptop)

rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,757
Message 7 of 27

Update: i have noticed that the computer displays a message telling me there is earphones connected when i turn it on.

It is also switching between Laptop and Tablet mode by itself.

Could this be a potential virus which has somehow survived a windows reinstall?

Guru
Views: 14,752
Message 8 of 27

Your speaker problem could be similar to this thread -

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Yoga-Flex-Laptops-and/Yoga-3-Pro-Speaker-stopped-working-headset-jack-s...

----Try plugging in and out headphones quickly.

Go to system Tray, see if there is Harmony settings there. Right click and Disable it.

What do you mean by that it is switching modes? What happens? (Only notification or keyboard also stops working or screen rotates)

rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,749
Message 9 of 27

I get a notification top right of screen to tell me i have switched to tablet mode and the keyboard disables. It then switches back to laptop within 2 seconds. Very strange.

I will try that thank you.

I've also looked at extending my Lenovo warranty but it says there is no exttended options for my machine

rm8385
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,733
Message 10 of 27

update: i have checked 'show hidden devices' in device manager and have noticed this: device manager hidden.jpgother dialog.jpg

does this mean something is loose after all?

Strange, i had a look today and everything looked fine...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors