Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smalley3
Paper Tape
Views: 200
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Yoga 2 screen went black while on external monitor and won't come back on

I have been using a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for just over a year. I use it at work with an external monitor which I connect via a micro-HDMI to VGA adapter. There are several times during the day that the screen on the external montior would flicker, and the connection would be lost. I would usually just reconnect the display and the external monitor would display again. 

A few days ago (4 days after the warranty expired), while connected to the external display, the monitor on my Yoga went completely black. Now it won't come back on. Sometimes on startup I can see a very faint "Lenovo" logo, but that quickly goes away. I know the computer is still on because the windows logo still vibrates on the screen when touched.

Anyway, does anybody know what could be causing this and how to fix it?

I took it to my local Microsoft store and they said that I should replace the motherboard, but I got a feeling they didn't really know what was going on with it. I have not had any problems with this computer until now and it would be a shame if the motherboard is indeed the problem. I have really liked the computer but don't think I would buy another lenovo if I had to replace the motherboard. I have never dropped or significantly damaged it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 154
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Yoga 2 screen went black while on external monitor and won't come back on

hi smalley3,

Welcome to the Forums.

The flickering issue maybe due to a bad LCD cable or in some cases, a faulty GPU (the GPU is integrated to the CPU, and the CPU is soldered to the motherboard).

If there's still no image on the screen even after connecting an external display then you likely have a bad GPU.

In this case, I recommend you contact support for service (and also to see if there's a consideration that can be done on the warranty repair).

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors