cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 855
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 3 14 (80JH) start-up delay (not boot-up delay)

After the Windows 10 April 2018 update, my Lenovo Yoga 3 14 laptop is not starting immediately. It's not boot-up delay, it's a device start-up delay like after pressing the power button, just keyboard back light blinks once and nothing will happen and it's taking 35 to 40 seconds (earlier it's 1 to 3 seconds) after pressing the power button to show Lenovo UEFI screen along with Windows loading animation (this boot-up is quick like earlier versions about 5 to 7 seconds). Re-installed the complete OS (clean install) and re-installed the BIOS (Version BACNA0WW and BIOS date 07/15/2016). But nothing helps. 

Changed to earlier version of windows with clean install (the one with creators update, but issue not resolved.)

Formatted complete drive and cleared all partitions (including OEM) and installed on a fresh partition, re-flashed BIOS, but nothing helps.

Later I thought about hardware issue. Opened laptop, removed display connector, cleaned and attached, but issue not resolved.

So, it's not a new Windows issue and It might be a problem with BIOS and it needs to be updated. Since my laptop is mote than 3 years old, Lenovo probably don't bother about updating this BIOS.

Any solution that I missed?

Thanks in advance.

Guru
Views: 811
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 3 14 (80JH) start-up delay (not boot-up delay)

Sounds like something is hanging in Power On Self Test (POST). POST delays are usually a BIOS setting, hardware issue or some sort. Disconnect any devices you have attached before trying to boot. Try resetting BIOS to default values. Turn on Fast Boot if it isn't already on. Look through the BIOS settings to see if something is wonky. On my desktop, the boot order sometimes gets messed up and my computer hangs as it goes through drives looking for the OS. I'm not saying that's your issue, but maybe gives you an idea of some things to check. Google "long POST time" for other threads on the issue. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 796
Message 3 of 9

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, It looks like BIOS issue and I've tried everything like loading default values, checked fastboot (and it's on), no external devices are connected. About hardware, I just re-plugged the display connector, nothing changed. Checked boot order, First one for windows boot manager, next for USB FDD and next is my SSD. Tried changing SSD to first placce, not worked. The only solution is remaining is to back flash the older BIOS. I'm currently searching web for that. If I find anything, I'll flash and let you know.

Thank you.
satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 747
Message 4 of 9

Hi, I've found an old BIOS drivers, flashed, but nothing solved. Now I don't have any ideas that might help. Can anyone help?
Guru
Views: 739
Message 5 of 9

DId you try clearing the CMOS by holding the power button for a full minute after powering off the machine?  Or removing the battery, then pressing the power button for 10 seconds. I'd advise replacing the CMOS battery, but this thread seems to indicate that's not entirely possible. 

satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 720
Message 6 of 9

This WORKS! I can't believe it. Haven't find the CMOS battery on mother board. Just removed the physical battery and pressed and hold the power button for 12 seconds (twice - because I just want to make sure I did it right) and connected the battery and switched on. Display turned on after 1 sec and started to boot after 1 sec, system booted in 6 seconds (as usual with SSD). I was convinced my self to use this laptop with this issue for the rest of my life and didn't expected lenovo to fix this BIOS issue.

But I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 713
Message 7 of 9

Well, POST issue resolved, but started another issue. Screen looks shattered or mal-aligned (please find the attachment) while I slightly tilt the display backwards or frontwards and later nothing responds (OS and also BIOS commands like Fn keys, caps lock light and touch marks also not responding). But it happens rarely only while tilting screen. Any idea about this issue?Like related to display connector? or display cable between display and motherboard? or any other issue?

Guru
Views: 706
Message 8 of 9

Probably should start a new thread on that since the title of this one doesn't mention that issue and the thread is marked as solved.

Just looking at the picture, it could be as simple as a loose ribbon cable or as complicated as an issue with the motherboard or display panel. To be sure, boot into your BIOS screen (pretty sure you have that routine down pat) and see if it happens there. Though it's hard to imagine a driver issue that presents when you move the screen around.  If you're out-of-warranty and comfortable working inside a laptop, dissassemble it to the point you can access the ribbon cable and try reseating it and/or looking for some obvious problems (signs of something spilling, a crack in a circuit card, etc). As always, exercise the usual precautions when working inside of a computer. 

satreddy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 702
Message 9 of 9

Yeah, it's out of warranty and I've started to open and repair my laptop for POST issue and I'm okay to open one more time to check display ribbon and connector. Anyway, it's new issue and it's happening rarely and I had to force turn off the device. If it's more intrusive, I'll find another forum for solution.

Thank you so much for helping me this far.

Cheers!

Top Kudoed Authors