Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michaelsorensen
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and need a Travel / Car adapter

I have an Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and can't find a 12V DC car adapter anywhere. I have just bought an Lenovo 65W DC Travel adapter, but it dosn't have the right connecton til the notebook (USB). Is there a slim tip to USB converter or any other solution to connect my notebook to 12 Volt DC?

SeniorGuru
Views: 348
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and need a Travel / Car adapter

Welcome to the forum.

From what I can see this system uses a proprietary USB-like connector with a small notch on one corner. I'm not aware of a car charger for this format, either from Lenovo or from third parties. This blog explains some of the issues: UPDATE: Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro External Battery and Car adapter. See Update April 19, 2015.

Another option would be a 12VDC-to-110/240VAC car inverter, then use the standard AC charger that came with the Yoga 3 Pro. That is, of course, less efficient.

Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 3 of 9

Yes its is USB like conector with a notch on oe corner to avoid putting 20 Volt into a normal USB port. But a normal USB stick fiits into the port on the notebook. So any 12 Volt / 20 Volt DC/DC converter would fit, but i cant find one.

The solution with inverter is possible, but also large and more heavy to carry with you than a small DC/DC adapter 

Michaelsorensen
Paper Tape
Views: 336
Message 4 of 9

I have also read somewhere else, that it is using a third pin in the usb to tell the charger to step up from 5 Volt to 20 Volt, when it is connected to the notebook.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 324
Message 5 of 9

You can get some pretty slim inverters, these days. My truck has one built-in (which you can add, yourself, if you're handy). I've gone that route as my laptops all have USB-C charging ports. I really recommend inverters for warranty reasons if nothing else. Can't blame a motherboard failure on you if you had the laptop attached to its AC Adapter which was getting 110 volts. 

All that said, you can piece together a 12V-20V solution using this converter and this adapter. You might also need the jack pack that's listed with the converter.

Since you already have a travel adapter, assuming the voltage is correct and you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to just cut off the existing connector and wire it to one of the adapters I linked. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SeniorGuru
Views: 312
Message 6 of 9

@Doctordon wrote: 

Since you already have a travel adapter, assuming the voltage is correct and you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to just cut off the existing connector and wire it to one of the adapters I linked. 

You're much braver than me Smiley Wink

From the page I linked to above:

Normally USB is 5v, but there are extra pins within the USB port that tells the AC adapter to step up the voltage from 5v to 20v. You cannot simply put in 20v. There is an handshake that is happening that we're not sure of (again)... We're into our 4th burned up Yoga 3 Pro...

That doesn't sound promising.

Paper Tape
Views: 288
Message 7 of 9

I wunder why Lenovo make a Yoga Pro serie and don't make a 12-15 Volt adapter for car and flights. I presume that most pro user are businessmenn that are a lot under way. If not, why schould they by a notebook. I dont want also have to have a inverter with me, they are all heavy and need space :-(

Next time I will look for another product......

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 275
Message 8 of 9

I asked this very question of another computer manufacturer some time ago. They had also ceased offering 12V power adapters. The answer I got was twofold:

1. Didn't sell very many 

2. Unreliable automotive electrical systems frequently damaged either the adapter or the computer it was attached to.

I cannot speak for Lenovo's decisions not to offer 12v adapters, but I would imagine one or both of the above comes into play. Making a 12v-19v (for example) converter is pretty easy. It's making one that's impervious to anything a car can throw at it that's difficult. Makes them bulky and heavy, too.

And I can understand the lack of demand. I travel a lot. I've yet to end up on a plane with 12V ports (maybe private planes have that? I fly commercial). All my flights either have 110v AC or nothing. And it's very rare I'm a passenger in a rental car for more than a couple of hours, tops. The battery on my 910 easily lasts that long.

Both my vehicles have inverters. The truck's inverter is built-in. The sedan's is stowed in the glove compartment. Rarely need it. I have one super-slim inverter that's light enough to pack in my go-bag, but I've never bothered to do that.

I am keeping an eye on some third-party USB-C solutions such as this one.  

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Michaelsorensen
Paper Tape
Views: 247
Message 9 of 9

I do change between boat and cars and need charging in between customer visits. The boat will get an fix mounted inverter.

This small third-party USB-C solution looks fine if it can find out to step up and down and not just deliver 20V constantly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors