cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guile
Paper Tape
Views: 12,444
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR - Hard Drive Upgrade (SATA_CONN1)

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR with the 32gb internal hard drive. I thought it would suit my purpose well as I only want to use it to run software to check error codes on my car (not much hard drive capacity required).

I'm really disappointed though as I thought it would be super-fast to boot and use with 32gb SSD that only runs the operating software; how wrong I was...

Long story short I’m trying to improve the performance and would like to install a 64gb SSD; I have remove the back and found the connector (SATA_CONN1) but it has no cable connector. Does this mean the motherboard will not support a SATA drive or does it mean I need a connector soldered on (this looks very tricky as the pins are so close together).

See attached photos of the inside of my notebook and the connector cable I intended to purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; if I don’t get this resolved the notebook will be going in the bin and I’ve wasted a reasonable amount of money.

Final resort is to down grade from windows 10 to windows 7 and free up some disk space. I’d like to do this anyway but struggled for 6 hours already to undertake this task; I keep receiving an Error Code: 0x6

Thanks,

Richard

Moderator note: image containing serial number removed to prevent abuse.

02.jpg03.jpg

ansti
Paper Tape
Views: 11,607
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR - Hard Drive Upgrade (SATA_CONN1)

Hey I'm in the same situation any luck ?

zwi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,434
Message 3 of 6

Hey, I'm exactly in the same situation.

I've bought a SSD drive and a connection cable, but unfortunately when I've opened the computer it occurred that there's no cable connector soldered to the motherboard, and I cannot connect the drive:

1.jpeg

There is a solution posted here: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/resolved-part-identification-to-upgrade-a-motherboard-lap...

The OP has also searched for the socket, but finally he decided to buy a used motherboard and retrieve the socket only to solder it to his own motherboard. It worked and he got the drive running - congrats. It is some sort of a solution but a used motherboard necessary to complete this is not to be easily found on the market. At least at my region. Furthermore there is little sense in buying a used laptop, just to find out that it also lacks the socket.

So the question remains: is there a possibility to order the required socket perhaps from a Lenovo distributor or any other third party producer? Preferably in quantity of 1 piece, not 500 or 1000... Any helpful answer would be much appreciated. Below are closeups of the cable and the empty space on the motherboard with ca. dimensions (in proper units):

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

I have been suggested to cut off the end of the connector cable, and solder the wires directly to the motherboard. Although it may seem legit, I'd rather postpone such drastic measures. At least until I get tried of searching for the socket.

Thank you in advance!

zwi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,389
Message 4 of 6

So... What I want to say is that I'm deeply disappointed with the Lenovo company. There was whatsoever no help coming from their side. Apart from this forum, I have tried contacting local Lenovo services via email, phone calls, messenger, and nobody was willing to either share the type of connector used nor tell me where I could acquire one.

The things I've done to get the SSD running:

- ordered a similar connector from Aliexpress, just to find out after a couple of weeks of waiting, that it didn't fit - marvelous...

- bought a damaged laptop, but beforehand making sure it has had a hard drive, what would ensure that the connector was present on the motherboard

- re-soldered the connector from the used motherboard to my laptop

And... It works. But still I really feel that Lenovo should have done anything to help. Or maybe Lenovo shouldn't have removed a connector worth 10 cents from the motherboard in the first place? Or maybe I'm expecting to much of the Lenovo engineers... Don't get me wrong, I'm not having high demands towards the cheapest laptop from Lenovo - it is what it is, but the lack of the connector is a decision I do not and probably never will understand.

And that's it folks. Lenovo yoga 300 was probably the last Lenovo product I have bought.

Hope this will help someone, at least I've tried harder than Lenovo.

Cheers!

Highlighted
YUNNEK
What's DOS?
Views: 4,202
Message 5 of 6

hi zwi,

May i ask what cloning software you used to clone you lenovo Yoga 300-11ibr? I have tried many cloning software already but still it doesnt work. I have

kingston A400 120gb ssd

using 

Macrium Reflect home use

EaseUS Todo Backup

It has "INACCESIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error when i tried to boot it..

Any advice would be very helpful for me...

Thanks

zwi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,370
Message 6 of 6

Yunnek,

I've used macrium and followed the instructions from this post:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Can-Yoga-300-be-upgraded-to-SSD/m-p/342748...

It worked for me and I didn't encounter any issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors