Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fsimon
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Yoga 300 ripoff

So.. 

I got a Yoga 300 to view sheet music for my digital piano.. It's foldable so I can put it on the sheet holder, has Windows on it, unlike most tablets it supports USB devices so I can actually hook it up with my piano.

Turns out.. the ~30GB eMMC drive isn't enough to support the Windows 10 it comes with, especially since this version of Windows forces updates on you (you cannot disable them) and there's simply not enough storage space to complete them.

This results in the update process constantly locking up the computer, since it keeps trying to install and always fails.

I went online to search for a solution and I have noticed that several users successfully installed SSDs in these small notebooks. I ordered the appropriate cable from China, since I couldn't find it anywhere in the EU.. I bought a 240 GB SSD.. and now I removed the back cover to install it... 

Surprise.. surprise.. Lenovo deliberately ommitted to install the small port with the plastic clamp to hold the cable in place.. So now I bought all this stuff just to fix their silly 'mistake' (why couldn't you just include a 10GB larger eMMC so WIn10 can function?) and basically it's all useless.. money thrown out the window Smiley Happy 

Safe to say I will never ever buy anything that has lenovo written on it... BUT if anyone has any suggestions on how to actually fix this? like a place where I could get that port and possibly install it myself... I'd welcome that.

Made a quick video about it when I realized what happened.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMiqa4qJxE

Excuse my English pronounciation... 

Cheers.. 

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 200
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Yoga 300 ripoff

Ouch 32Gb storage is so tight that I think it is going to require some work on your side to get/keep it working.

I use a Lenovo Yoga 3 11 with 128Gb storage, and a Ultra Mobil PC with 40Gb storage, so I have a bit of experience that my aid you.

First, the less disruptive advice. The larger windows updates leave a huge (many gigabites) windows.old directory behind in your C:\ location. Running "disk clean-up" and then selecting "Clean up system files" will delete this huge directory, which was only needed if you wanted to roll back the windows version. This may allow you to get rolling again.

Now here's my better advice, but this involves wiping your storage, so be sure to back up anything that you don't want to lose. Googling "windows media creator" (on any PC) will lead you to the offical microsoft site https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

where the option "Download tool now" allows you to download the mircrosoft windows media creation tool, which allows you to create a bootable USB drive containing the latest version of Windows 10. Running this too requires the downloading of Windows 10 so you may need to use another PC to do this because you will need at least 3gb or so of storage free. Once this bootable USB is created, you can plug it into you Lenovo Yoga 3, power it up, keep pressing the special key at power up to activate the boot menu (EDIT - correction, it's the F12 key), select the USB as the boot device, and be sure to choose the toubleshoot option and off you go - a perfect installation of Windows 10 can be installed with no clutter.

This will leave you without the Lenovo specific drivers. Some of them will update automatically through windows update or the Lenovo Companion app. Others can be downloaded directly from the Lenovo support drivers page for you Lenogo Yoga 300 model.

But there's more that can be done before even this. No doubt your 32Gb contains factory default images and other stuff. If you are happy to lose all of this and free up lots of storage, the following website contains fantastic information:

http://www.lionhack.com/2013/12/25/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-partitions/

Obviously if you do this it will be at your own risk, and I advise that you read the instructions very carefully. However, I followed their instructions successfull and freed up about 10Gb of my storage, and I never looked back. 

Fsimon
Paper Tape
Views: 196
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply!

Of course.. as a former software developer I'm well aware of this.. 

My whole grudge is with the fact that I bought this with the included Windows and everything just so I don't have to mess with it.. you know.. to have at least one thing that was designed to simply run 'out of the box'. I figured since its main use would be for piano I don't really need to install any additional stuff... Like I have a 25mb software I bought called Synthesia for the piano and google chrome.. and that's it.. that's pretty much my complete user data that I installed lol.. everything else on it was shipped like that. How on earth should a regular customer be able to use it then? who needs it for everyday stuff involving more user data. 

Imo. if you design and sell something intended for regular consumers, it shouldn't be like this, like if all you have is 32GB (of which about 4 are reserved like you said for a system image, since you have a factory reset options, like most tablets) then choose an operating system that works well with that.. it shouldn't hog up all the resources and disk space just to try and update itself...  

Also as you saw in the video I did find a 'theoretical' solution, that most users also wouldn't be able to.. I imaged the entire eMMC drive so I can have it exacly like it was with all the Lenovo software and everything, but I never would have thought that they would cut corners on a simple FCC connector.. like... that's just lame.. since they use the very same motherboard for the versions that come with the 500GB HDD.. only difference being that they install the FCC connector on that.. 

Just imagine the production manager who made that very important business decision.. 'We don't install the SATA FCC connector on the boards that have the eMMC! it costs a WHOLE cent... which adds up to $10 across 1000 units! ha! we saved a ton of money... at the cost of screwing pretty much every future customer who realizes that the eMMC we include isn't enough to support the software we have on it from the factory!' 

Bet they even made a separate production line just for skipping that one connector on these models... 

Anyway.. you probably get why I'm frustrated... I really hope a Lenovo rep. actually reads this and actually realizes it was a mistake... 

In any case, thanks for the tips! 

Cheers..

P.S. I ordered some 0.5mm spacing 10 pin FCC connectors off aliexpress.. who knows.. maybe I can actually solder one of those on properly when they arrive... if it's even the correct one lol.. 

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 186
Message 4 of 5

Yep I totally get your frustrations. Lenovo have excelled themselves again. Good luck with it.

Fsimon
Paper Tape
Views: 175
Message 5 of 5

In fact I would say that they probably did it intentionally just to prevent users from upgrading their storage unit and force them to buy something more expensive... 

The reason I think so is because I just found a thread here in which someone upgraded to an SSD a year ago and he appeared to have the 32GB eMMC model as well.. everything is the same except his motherboard having a connector in the pictures inside the PDF guide he attached to his post... 

I bought my Yoga this summer so I'm guessing they ditched the connector since last year.... 

That's some epic BS Lenovo pulled right there Smiley Happy 

Maybe someone should get in touch with them to clarify things then make some warning post to future users who might see all the old posts where it was possible to upgrade to an SSD that it isn't anymore with the newer models.. or 'some' models.. or whatever.. But it would be nice to save future users from the same frustration I just went through Smiley Tongue Spent like $100 on the parts and can't use them in this Yoga.. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Can-Yoga-300-be-upgraded-to-SSD/m-p/342748...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors