Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phill688
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,279
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Yoga 500 14IBD Screen flickers badly

Hi,

I have been searching for a solution for months without any fix. I have already sent the laptop 3 times to warranty service, display was replaced twice, but the problem still continues. My reclamation was canceled once..... the statement was that it is software issue, but i could not belive that. It just starts after a while of usage, than it just increases intensity untill it is insane. I am posting the issue as a photo, so it is easier to imagine the problem.

I found several facts:

1. The screen flickers extremly after turning on the windows high contrast mode (black or white does not matter).

2. The screen flickers sometimes when scrolling through certain pages (searching internet, word documets)

3. Screen stops fleshing for a while after changing the possition of display (it is yoga so you can get a lot of angles)

4. When plugged via HDMI cable to TV, flickering continued only on the laptop display!

5. Lowering brightness seems to lower the intensity of flicekring (more time before it blinks again).

6. Flickering is not happening in BIOS, but immediately after showing windows login screen. 

As for drivers: All updated, all tried, all checked through lenovo online diagnostics even display and everything is correct. Display drivers reinstalled, display drivers checked. I have tried to change auto-brigtness options, turning off display drivers for both graphic cards, windows reinstalled 3-times through one key recovery and even throug regular factory settings recovery. 

As for power supply options: Does not matter if I am on power or battery. And NO changing intel graphics power options does not work at all. 

Please any help welcomed, If I wont fix this I will sent this to warranty service again. I have no idea what to do. My only guess is, that the power distribution is damaged, or the cable connected to display is messed up. This laptop is on its bast way to take ride through my window, but it is not a bad machine.

IMG_0636.JPG

Mod edit:  Removed implied profanity, please keep it clean.

ClaCpa08
What's DOS?
Views: 3,174
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Yoga 500 14IBD Screen flickers badly

@Phill688 wrote:

Hi,

I have been searching for a solution for months without any fix. I have already sent the laptop 3 times to warranty service, display was replaced twice, but the problem still continues. My reclamation was canceled once..... the statement was that it is software issue, but i could not belive that. It just starts after a while of usage, than it just increases intensity untill it is insane. I am posting the issue as a photo, so it is easier to imagine the problem.

I found several facts:

1. The screen flickers extremly after turning on the windows high contrast mode (black or white does not matter).

2. The screen flickers sometimes when scrolling through certain pages (searching internet, word documets)

3. Screen stops fleshing for a while after changing the possition of display (it is yoga so you can get a lot of angles)

4. When plugged via HDMI cable to TV, flickering continued only on the laptop display!

5. Lowering brightness seems to lower the intensity of flicekring (more time before it blinks again).

6. Flickering is not happening in BIOS, but immediately after showing windows login screen. 

As for drivers: All updated, all tried, all checked through lenovo online diagnostics even display and everything is correct. Display drivers reinstalled, display drivers checked. I have tried to change auto-brigtness options, turning off display drivers for both graphic cards, windows reinstalled 3-times through one key recovery and even throug regular factory settings recovery. 

As for power supply options: Does not matter if I am on power or battery. And NO changing intel graphics power options does not work at all. 

Please any help welcomed, If I wont fix this I will sent this to warranty service again. I have no idea what to do. My only guess is, that the power distribution is damaged, or the cable connected to display is messed up. This laptop is on its bast way to take ride through my window, but it is not a bad machine.

@Phill688 wrote:

Hi,

I found several facts:

IMG_0636.JPG

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103512

Try this link,  it helped me just today. Had same experience as you for months!

ClaCpa08
What's DOS?
Views: 3,174
Message 3 of 10

Try this link. I was having the same issues as you! https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103512

Phill688
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,156
Message 4 of 10

Thank you, I am going to check on it. Unfortunately, my display is not LG :/

Kainite
What's DOS?
Views: 3,063
Message 5 of 10

I have the same issue and only stops flikering only if the laptop is connect to the power supply otherwisre is flikering like crazy, i cant find solution for this, updated grafic card everything and nothing works, i`m almost done with this and give back the laptop to the store....

HMR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,946
Message 6 of 10

I have the same problem.  The built-in screen flicker badly always when on battery power but never when on external power.  The external screen (50" LG TV) works fine no matter if the Yoga 500 is on battery or external power.  

I have today started a support case with my supplyer (ElGiganten i Sweden). We agreed that it is pointless to just ship the laptop to them since this probably is a software issue.  I'll give them a couple of months. If not solved by then I'll claim my money back an buy something else. 

Stay tuned. I will get back to this channel as the case develops.  Not urgent for me since I currently only use the Yoga 500 for TV & movies projected to my 50" TV.

anmyren
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,552
Message 7 of 10

Have you got any solution. I have the same problem.

HMR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,510
Message 8 of 10

Yes. I sent the laptop to Lenovo service. They replaced the screen on warranty.  No charges. Since then it works perfect!

nuridurdu27
Paper Tape
Views: 1,156
Message 9 of 10

Hade the same problem so I wrote to the customer service and get this answer and luckily it really worked for me had a screen flickering in battery mode too just follow these steps which I did get from the service. 

Thank you for your message.

The symptoms you have described indicate an error that may have been caused by a slight surge of tension. Therefore, a residual current discharge is necessary. This discharge eliminates residual currents in the internal components of your notebook.

Please carry out the following steps so that the device is ready for use as soon as possible:

1. Turn off your notebook.

2. Now disconnect all devices from your notebook (printers, scanners, hard disks).

3. Also remove the memory card in the card reader when plugged in.

4. Connect the power cable to the device.

5. Now press the NOVO button (on the side of your notebook or next to the power button, curved arrow to indicate) and select the bios.

6. Remove the power supply again.

7. Now let the notebook run in the BIOS until it shuts itself off

8. Now hold down the power button on the notebook for about ten seconds.

9. Next, plug the power cord back into the device and allow the battery to charge.

10. Now you can turn the notebook on again.

Experience has shown that the notebook now works perfectly again

HMR
Paper Tape
Views: 1,145
Message 10 of 10

Interesting. Will try this procedure.

I had, a year ago or so, this flickering problem. Solution was to ship the laptop to Lenovo for repair (under warranty). They replaced the screen and the flickering was gone.

Now the flickering is back but warranty is gone.  Smiley Sad 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors