Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 478
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK - temperatures at gaming

I have Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK with Intel Core i7-6500U CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 940M GPU. Today when I was playing Rocket League on it while monitoring the temperatures I've noticed that the CPU temperature was max. 94 Celsius degrees and GPU temperature was max. 82 Celsius degrees. This is actually quite hot. Is it normal in this laptop? Are these temperatures safe to it? I was so scared by these temperatures that I've uninstalled that game from my laptop.

Kačko
Paper Tape
Views: 465
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Yoga 500-14ISK - temperatures at gaming

Hello,

this temperature is not normal. For first, try to check if your fans are working. Try installing Fan checker and take a look if they are working.. I've had same problem, a little piece of glas was stuck in one of my fans ( don't ask me how it get there ) and it wasn't working. I removed it and everything went normal.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Have a nice day

przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 463
Message 3 of 4

Fans are working because I hear them very well. What's interesting temps when idle are very good (about 40 Celsius degrees). Even when using virtualization software (VMWare) the temps are about 65 Celsius degrees with max. of 70 Celsius degrees. Only when playing any game the temperature is so high on the CPU as well as the GPU. But what's even more interesting playing Asphalt 8: Airborne on Intel integrated GPU doesn't heat my laptop too much, but playing the same game on discrete NVIDIA GPU heats really, really much the CPU and the GPU. But when playing Rocket League the temperatures are so high (94 Celsius degrees) that I'm afraid that I may destroy the CPU.
Kacperas
Bit Torrent
Views: 449
Message 4 of 4

When you're using iGPU, only single chip generates much more heat, but when you're using dGPU, both it and CPU are producing more heat. It seems that cooler isn't able to keep up with that amount of generated heat. The only real solution would be to change cooling system, but as this isn't possible without serious modding, then there are only methods to improve the situation:

- Change thermal paste on CPU and dGPU (most likely will void warranty).

- Buy a good cooling pad (just check reviews on polish websites and chose device from top place)

Sadly, most of today's laptops were created to be smaller, thinner and lighter in mind. Unfortunately, if you "compress" more components in to smaller space, problem with heat will only increase (depending on used components). Fans... "shrieked" to smaller space, simply can't keep up will prolonged load and throttling kicks in as countermeasure against reaching critical temperature on components. Check some tests on notebookcheck, to see, that some laptops (even business) simply turned off during stress test, as cooling system wasn't able to handle the heat.

Regarding your worring, sadly CPUs are no longer socketed, but soldered. Prolonged high temparatures aren't good to solder, so it would be best to buy a cooling pad, as it really helps to get temperatures down. And I know, that CPU isn't everything, as in the past, NVIDIA's GPUs were know to be the cause of fair share of motherboard failures in some ThinkPad's models.

------
Top Kudoed Authors