Did you mean: 
Wello
Blue Screen Again
Views: 266
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Yoga 520-14IKB overheats after "reparation" due to loud fan noise

This has happened so far:

1. - Bought this Notebook 9th of July.
  2. - After a couple of months (5th of Nov) the fans were really loud and constantly spinning (but the laptop was cool at least). I couldn't even have it running during lectures because the fan had this high pitch noise (like it it was hitting the actual plastic case).
  3. - Since the warranty was still valid I sent it in for repair around the end of November.
  4. - I got it back the 7th of Dec and started the laptop which was quiet as a mouse. I couldn't even hear the fan spinning. This made me a bit worried though that they had disabled the fan.
  5. - So I did some testing and downloaded HWMonitor to check the GPU temperatures while I ran some intensive graphics demos. As the temperature went up well over 80 C up to 90 C, the fan NEVER started spinning. It was still as quiet as when idle. I stopped the demos once it hit 91 C to not break anything.
  6. - After the laptop ran the demos I only had Chrome open and casually browsed it stayed at a constant 80 C, which is too hot to touch for longer periods of time. The temperature never dropped below 70 C when idle, which is expected since I can't even hear the fan spinning at all.
  7. - I have checked BIOS and "Quiet Mode" isn't even enabled so my only conclusion is that Lenovo must have disabled my fan just to stop the sound.

In short, my laptop fan was too loud so I sent it in for reparation and got it back but now it overheats and there is no way to enable the fan again. Does anyone know what I can do?

Is this usually how Lenovo fixes stuff? If yes then I will never buy from them again, that's for sure.

Wello
Blue Screen Again
Views: 158
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Yoga 520-14IKB overheats after "reparation" due to loud fan noise

I have chosen to send the computer in again.
miachkanin
Paper Tape
Views: 117
Message 3 of 5

Any news, Wello? I'm having a similar issue on my Yoga 910.

I had hardware problems and on-site warranty, so someone came and changed by main board, heat sink, and fans recently. I used it for a day during which, like you, the fans were dead silent even though the laptop was getting very hot (up to 94 C on the CPU). I ran into a different problem and someone fixed it by giving me another main board and a replacement SSD. It's been a few days since then, and things are still quiet and hot. I'm wondering what I should do.

Wello
Blue Screen Again
Views: 108
Message 4 of 5

My machine arrived the 2nd of Jan at the Lenovo Service Center and nothing else has been reported. Since the repair time can be 2 weeks I will have to wait to the 16th of Jan and then also wait for the shipment until I can check if it is fixed.

So if my fan is quiet and the laptop overheats upon the return I will try to escalate the issue and get a whole new laptop, because I don't have the time to send in my laptop again and again since I'm starting my Master's thesis this spring.

And if Lenovo won't budge I will have to contact the Swedish authority ARN (National Board for Consumer Disputes) which can help in these kind of disputes. Maybe you have a similar thing in the US?

I suggest you try to get a new one yourself, the least we can expect from a newly bought laptop is that the basic functionality works like it seems to do with other brands. I don't consider a laptop that BURNS ME when I'm holding it usable.

miachkanin
Paper Tape
Views: 99
Message 5 of 5

Thank you, Wello. Good luck with this and with your master's.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors